Poll: How do you feel about grinding in GW2?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh, i actually enjoy leveling, more because i like how when you level you kinda go from being the nobody to mr super awesome hero guy, however that could be done through the storyline. However, i have a feeling leveling in GW2 is going to be more "tutorially" then grindy, like i think they'll introduce us to new mechanics mobs can do, like random agro, or kiting etc as we level maybe? *shrugs* who knows, that's just my guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Whats fun without a little work to break up the monotony, personally I'd love a little killing spree as long as its not boring and too long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    See that's the thing- i am ready for mmos to get rid of leveling altogether. it's just pointless in a game without a subscription and nothing more than an extended tutorial in subscription mmos.

rift did it best, very fast leveling with compact quest hubs or ample grinding opportunities and a robust endgame.

keeping players delayed from an endgame is just kinda annoying. i think we'll see leveling process significantly truncated in future mmos. where most of the progression is held in the ranks of in-game reputation, prestige/valor, gear or other time investments.
    people forget that GW2 was going to be made without levels but there were alot of people out there who required some form of numerical progression so they added levels. it reminds me of what Colin said a while back about when DEs were first play tested by a focus group, alot people did not know what to do without explicit directions which is such a shame.

you could create a max level character in gw1 but it was pvp only. there are a few korean mmos i played where access to max level near instant as well.

with mmos being so easy nowadays and the leveling process being utterly trivial- why even bother anymore? its an artifice and really i am playing & paying for the game so i can raid/dungeon run with friends.
    yeah, i think that ArenaNet are trying to move away from "the game is trivial outside of end-game" mentality and i think that they strike the best middle ground; progression for all at any level with any form of content, with the mechanics they have chosen to use in the game.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the leveling system in GW2 isn't going to mean much. it's really just there to show how much more powerful a character is. Take WoW for example, if you were to take two naked level 80 paladins and have them fist fight each other then it would be an even match. The only difference would be racials and a slight racial stat difference. In GW2 you get to choose where your points go, so no two characters are the same. Levels are really just numbers, and with scaling those numbers mean little. Skill will mean EVERYTHING in GW2.

This is important to the grind discussion because then leveling become more of an adventure rather than something you feel must be done quickly to see your numbers get bigger. So in essence, there really aren't levels in GW2.
    Last edited by Cuchulainn; 2011-12-04 at 03:02 PM.

it depends a bit what the goal of the grind is, I voted for the second option. Some grinding i don't mind, as long as it's not obligatory.

Then again, I do not really mind grinds as long as the combat is fun, which seems to be the case in GW2. Although I do hate grinds that limit the amount you can get on for instance a daily basis. I really hate dailies in wow, having to come back day after day. I just want to be able to finish it in one go or perhaps do it once a month for a few hours instead of 20 min each day.

Try asking this question on some GW2 forum. Those fanbois get fits as soon as you mention anything that ANet did not define in their manifesto...
    Telling them that those Dynamic Events are basicly just quests that spawn randomly is considered herecy.

I'm fine with grind as long as it is not mandatory for progression. I'll probably play the game but if one thing will make me happy is the fact that fanbois who believe DE are something greater than quests will be greatly dissapointed.

Deleted
    I hope there will be grinding for titles (that show in your name) and pink cute gear, in pvp, on my own.
    If they add that I will be happy forever =)

Quote Originally Posted by Azuazu View Post
    I actually don't hate it. Too much grinding is a bad thing but sometimes I really do feel like putting on my headphones, playing some good music and just grind away.
    I'm actually O.K with grinding in MMO's. ---^ I completely agree. Sometimes I just get in the mood and grind away. As long as grinding isn't in the game for a long long time, then It's cool with me.

My friend told me Lineage 2 was really grindy but I didn't play long enough to realize because the controls were bloody horrid xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    Try asking this question on some GW2 forum. Those fanbois get fits as soon as you mention anything that ANet did not define in their manifesto...
    Telling them that those Dynamic Events are basicly just quests that spawn randomly is considered herecy.

I'm fine with grind as long as it is not mandatory for progression. I'll probably play the game but if one thing will make me happy is the fact that fanbois who believe DE are something greater than quests will be greatly dissapointed.
    But they -are- greater then quests... BECAUSE it's not always the SAME, in wow quests are always the same, it's always talk to Mr. Blacksmith, get quest to kill X boars, if you come back tomorrow it'll be the SAME. DE's are superior because it changes and gives you more variety... Is the actual performing of the DE better then a quest? Meh, i think they'll be about the same, except there is a price of failure, in a quest you fail, you just go back try it again, in a de you fail you can lose a town in a large sense, or a merchants items in a small sense...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I personally grinding to be inhumane and I ALWAYS ignore it

10+ Year Old Account
    DEs are the main form of leveling content in GW2 as much as quests are the main form of leveling content in other games post-WoW. DEs in GW2 though have multiple ways of being generated; some are randomly on timers, some are player initiated, some are diurnal, some are dependent on the weather, some are triggered by other events i.e DE-chaining.

DEs scale with the number of players "actively" participating, there is no mob tagging in DEs, all participation is rewarded, DEs remain challenging regardless of level due to the side-kicking up/down system, DE's progress regardless of whether or not you pass or fail, DEs occur whether players are there to participate or not, and DEs have persistent effects/consequences on the content for all players in the given area/zone. so unless we are going to ignore everything i have just mentioned, DEs "are something greater then quests".
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account

Actually, this has been discussed in-depth on GW2G where it's been suggested that they're just quests. It's not too far off from them being quests, but more polished and interesting than Rifts DEs or WARs PQs. Don't take GW2 fan boys for mouth breathing neck beards. Most of us actually know how to discuss things in a civil manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutes View Post
    I personally grinding to be inhumane and I ALWAYS ignore it
    English. Do you speak it?

DEs are quests, they are simply different presentation of quests.

There was a good blog article where Anet devs were observing some play tests and asked one guy why he ran by a bunch of mobs fighting in a field. The guy said, "I didn't have a quest for it" and continued on his way. So Anet decided to make it so that the events are the quests rather than have them as a side option (Rift style).

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a good blog article where Anet devs were observing some play tests and asked one guy why he ran by a bunch of mobs fighting in a field. The guy said, "I didn't have a quest for it" and continued on his way.
    It's pretty sad that a lot of MMO players are so one-track-minded. I mean, some people have no sense of adventure AT ALL. It seems like this generation of MMO players want the game to hold their hand all the way to and through end-game. "i dint haf qest, hurrr durrr"; how laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    But they -are- greater then quests... BECAUSE it's not always the SAME, in wow quests are always the same, it's always talk to Mr. Blacksmith, get quest to kill X boars, if you come back tomorrow it'll be the SAME. DE's are superior because it changes and gives you more variety... Is the actual performing of the DE better then a quest? Meh, i think they'll be about the same, except there is a price of failure, in a quest you fail, you just go back try it again, in a de you fail you can lose a town in a large sense, or a merchants items in a small sense...
    And they are also worse than quests in their random nature. What happenes if you want to do a specific quest? You are unable to due to their inconsistent nauture wich depends on number of people participatin in questin in a zone, sucess of those people and cooperation of those people. What happens if everybody ignore some zone for a while and then you come along in search of a specific DE? Will you try to do first 25 other DE before you get to the one you desire or will you just say fuck it isn't worth it, lets go do dungeon.

People are considering with DE only their good side, but never think about bad side.
    I saw some people claiming that DE are meant to replace raids becuase they offer big challenge for masess of people. What they forget is either that raids require cooperation beynd just "lets DPS this dragon down", coordination and minimal chances of fuck-ups. 3 things that are practicly impossible with open world encounter where whenever someone feels like it can come around and start doing his thing and consequentialy fucking your strategy up and wiping all the rest.
    Or DE are too easy and cannot be failed wich leads to another extreme, where no matter how hard the challenge if you have enaugh people you will take it down.
    Also, with distinction from raids where boss kills you and then patiently awaits for your seconds in GW2 DE is supposed to take new turn.
    So, you spend an hour cleanning every damn thing to kill that big baddie, then you fail to kill big baddie and some new shit spawns while big baddie flies away victorious.
    This might be interesting concept for some, but most will say "fuck it" and leave after 3 times.

---------- Post added 2011-12-04 at 08:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    It's pretty sad that a lot of MMO players are so one-track-minded. I mean, some people have no sense of adventure AT ALL. It seems like this generation of MMO players want the game to hold their hand all the way to and through end-game. "i dint haf qest, hurrr durrr"; how laughable.
    On other hand, why should you kill some creature just because?
    I agree with the guy, he didn't have any proof that those creatures have done anything wrong, he didn't need anything of them so he let them be. Why be enemy when you can be friend.

Laughable is your attitute towad killing stuff just because you can, it is even sad, not even laughable.
    Last edited by Astalnar; 2011-12-04 at 07:53 PM.

Well, you are kinda missing the point here. Or at the least, not connecting the dots in how game's are designed. DEs and the questing structure of GW2 were already in place when the devs observed this phenomenon. What the empirical experience bore out was that if they wanted to focus the player's attention on those aspects of design, Anet needed to make sure that the experience was cohesive.

Having a super awesome dynamic world is great. But it must be obvious that is the focus and not the quest ticker on the right hand side. It's not really hand holding either, it's good design.

Look at games such as Skyrim or Half-Life. A lot of it's UI elements are suppressed. Most of player's interaction with the world is direct and obvious. Most of the world happenings are around you- should you walk up to the blacksmith you might speak to him or over hear a conversation. Which passively adds a quest marker- denoting your character is aware of blahblah. How you follow that through-line or invest in the world is a natural extension of what you are doing- playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    On other hand, why should you kill some creature just because?
    I agree with the guy, he didn't have any proof that those creatures have done anything wrong, he didn't need anything of them so he let them be. Why be enemy when you can be friend.

Laughable is your attitute towad killing stuff just because you can, it is even sad, not even laughable
    That's not the case though. He passed it up because there was "no quest given", thus hand holding.
    No proof of them doing anything wrong? What the hell are you talking about? There were no RP elements to my argument, so why do you feel the need to bring up something completely trivial to the discussion? Plus it was probably centaurs attacking humans, or something to that effect. So he probably had a reason to do the DE.
    By interacting with the DE he would have gained loot and additional quests, but because he was not hand held (on a quest) to the DE, he passed it up.

It's sad that I kill things in a game for no given reason? You're talking to a guy who punches Aliens in the nuts on Duke Nukem Forever BECAUSE I CAN. Stop being a care bear. BTW, I kill children in video games too. u mad bro?
    Last edited by Cuchulainn; 2011-12-04 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    That's not the case though. He passed it up because there was "no quest given", thus hand holding.
    No proof of them doing anything wrong? What the hell are you talking about? There were no RP elements to my argument, so why do you feel the need to bring up something completely trivial to the discussion? Plus it was probably centaurs attacking humans, or something to that effect. So he probably had a reason to do the DE.
    By interacting with the DE he would have gained loot and additional quests, but because he was not hand held (on a quest) to the DE, he passed it up.

It's sad that I kill things in a game for no given reason? You're talking to a guy who punches Aliens in the nuts on Duke Nukem Forever BECAUSE I CAN. Stop being a care bear. BTW, I kill children in video games too. u mad bro?
    No, not realy mad, more like enlightened. This explains so many things.
    From the context you gave, those monsters did not attack player, he was not forced into defensive stance to kill or be killed. he passed by because they did not feel endangered by them.
    Anyway, there is no RP argument for some of us. We will not kill, if there is not just cause for it. Ancient Romans called it "just war". If you enjoy destroying and killing stuff because you can. That tells something about you.

Are you seriously arguing about the justification of killing NPCs in a video game? Key words being: video game.
    I thought that this thread was about grinding?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Are you seriously arguing about the justification of killing NPCs in a video game? Key words being: video game.
    I thought that this thread was about grinding?
    Thread often wander, like actual conversation tends to do. And I've skipped a few quests in WoW because I didn't feel it was justified.
    Resurrected Holy Priest