This tip is so wrong

It's like the least safest way to travel.

Somewhat less likely.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Well it is true in real life at least.

Warender - Orc Enhancement Shaman - Mal'Ganis US

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when I was a lvl 3 and I went to Red ridge mountains.... as I was traveling A GIANT SPIDER ATE ME

... He/She still haunts me

Chattering!

well it was true in the past when there was no flight path or flying.. most of the time back before cata i could travel through higher level zones on my lowbie alts by sticking to the road.. monsters dont' spawn within that area.. but doesn't mean they don't aggro to it..

As it said

LESS LIKELY to encounter

Here's what I remember from Vanilla leveling, running from SW/IF to Darnassus and vice versa was a terrifying experience. Crockolisks destroyed you many times. Also, Duskwood was an even more terrifying experience. It was dark and there were spider webs and wolves and spiders were next to the road within agro range

In the days before...

being handed every flight path,
    free portals to all the new areas,
    a ton of different "port yourself to location" items,
    having significant movement speed bonuses (to outrun mobs) at low levels,
    flying over everything on your own anyway,
    or just sitting in town and never leaving, thanks to not even having to find an instance once before teleporting directly to it (let alone having to travel to it each time),

...it was the safest way. Most mobs, and especially packs of mobs, tended to spawn away from roads. Not all, of course. The scarlet courier in EPL was a great exception.

Edit: People wonder why the community's gone downhill? Lack of accountability is a huge part of it, for sure--but the world also just isn't as immersive, now that you get places by pressing a button and waiting 1-15 minutes. Games that aren't immersive don't engender feelings of mutual responsibility toward other denizens of the world.
    Last edited by Galashin; 2011-12-06 at 04:54 PM.

Deleted
    Running out of things to complain about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoza View Post
    Running out of things to complain about?
    He was likely joking, Let it be.

I remember when i got aspect ot the cheetah when mounts were still lvl 40. God I was estatic. The run thru wetlands was brutal.

in my opinion it is quite true. I always remember journing through old dustwallow marsh for some warlock class quest and because mobs were like 10 lvls higher i tried to survive by staying on the road :P
    Also, this applys IF there is a main road to follow (eg from northshire to goldshire in human starting area)

Deleted
    this tip seems accurate.

you will encounter less mobs on/near a road. then when you dnt follow a road.

That tip is still correct, assuming you don't already have the flight path you're still less likely to run into mobs if you travel along rodes. The main exceptions are the spider in red ridge (and the imps on the other road into the region), and areas in lvl 55+ zones where roads aren't exactly continuous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    That tip is still correct, assuming you don't already have the flight path you're still less likely to run into mobs if you travel along rodes. The main exceptions are the spider in red ridge (and the imps on the other road into the region), and areas in lvl 55+ zones where roads aren't exactly continuous.
    Dam you spiders in Red ridge! DAM YOU!!

Quote Originally Posted by Galashin View Post
    In the days before...

being handed every flight path,
    free portals to all the new areas,
    a ton of different "port yourself to location" items,
    having significant movement speed bonuses (to outrun mobs) at low levels,
    flying over everything on your own anyway,
    or just sitting in town and never leaving, thanks to not even having to find an instance once before teleporting directly to it (let alone having to travel to it each time),

...it was the safest way. Most mobs, and especially packs of mobs, tended to spawn away from roads. Not all, of course. The scarlet courier in EPL was a great exception.

Edit: People wonder why the community's gone downhill? Lack of accountability is a huge part of it, for sure--but the world also just isn't as immersive, now that you get places by pressing a button and waiting 1-15 minutes. Games that aren't immersive don't engender feelings of mutual responsibility toward other denizens of the world.
    Yeah if only I had to run on the road everywhere; that would make the community stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    Well it is true in real life at least.
    This would be 100% accurate. In fact I am pretty certain you will never encounter monsters while on a road IRL. Actually I suppose the only exception is sesame street.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, how I remember the good old days, sitting back and giggling when some Alliance person would AFK in the middle of the road in Arathi just to get demolished by the Forsaken courier and friends (when it was a constant pat and not spawned by the quest), or when some Horde would get absolutely owned by Lt. Valorcall and his group of elite guards...
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Resentful View Post
    I remember when I was a lvl 3 and I went to Red ridge mountains.... as I was traveling A GIANT SPIDER ATE ME

... He/She still haunts me

Chattering!
    That spider is my bro. I was on a lvl 20 priest at Goldshire and this lvl 4 rogue would not stop trying to duel me. He followed me all the way to Redridge, where I accepted his duel.

Psychic Scream -> Rogue runs into spider -> rogue dies -> me and spider highfive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    That spider is my bro. I was on a lvl 20 priest at Goldshire and this lvl 4 rogue would not stop trying to duel me. He followed me all the way to Redridge, where I accepted his duel.

Psychic Scream -> Rogue runs into spider -> rogue dies -> me and spider highfive.
    My that's actually pretty amusing ahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by damntree View Post
    Yeah if only I had to run on the road everywhere; that would make the community stronger!
    Games that emphasize immersion attract different players than games that don't. Futhermore, immersive games generally include more traditionally boring aspects--having to find food, sleep, travel taking time, etc--and less instant gratification. My point wasn't that running everywhere would make the community better directly. It was that the game back then attracted a different community than today's version. And yes, I do feel the community, on the whole, was better then. Note that I'm not commenting about the quality of the game itself, but rather of the players in it.