Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    It is perfectly fine overclocking to 4.0 or 4.1 with the stock cooler. Also, take into consideration that TB still applies to the SB CPUs, so the 2500k can actually run in 3.7Ghz (without overclocking). The step up to 4.0+ is very noticeable and can sometimes be done without increasing the Vcore.

There really is no need for a NH-D14 unless he plans to push 4.6Ghz or beyond, and even then it is debatable. The NH-D14 is high-end outside of watercooling and is basically one of the best air coolers on the market. For your average user, a Corsair A70 or a CM Hyper 212+ is more than enough, especially if they don't plan to dwell into overclocking to any major extent.

A computer case can be an investment, and should take a chunk of your budget. Of course, I wouldn't suggest anyone on a $600 budget to get a $150 case, but neither should someone on a $1200 budget get a $50 case. For a 1250 pound budget, I find it perfectly viable to spend ~120 on a good case.
    i suggested the nh-d14 because he would with time get more comfortable with overcloaking (if i just didnt switch to 40x multiplier and left it there for ages) and push it to the 4.5+ mark.
    still stand point that 135£ is too much for a 1300£ build. but thats just my personal opinion and i stand corrected

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vilaca View Post
    i suggested the nh-d14 because he would with time get more comfortable with overcloaking (if i just didnt switch to 40x multiplier and left it there for ages) and push it to the 4.5+ mark.
    I still think it is ludicrous to suggest a high end air cooler like the NH-D14 to someone that isn't even considering overclocking, yet alone pushing their chip close to its limit. If the OP should even get an aftermarket heatsink, I see no reason why he/she should get anything above a Corsair A70. If however the OP would have mentioned that he/she is very interested in overclocking and wants to push 4.6Ghz+, then the NH-D14 would be an excellent suggestion.