Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Dragonball Z MMO

This just popped into my mind but this would actually be very possible.
    Dragonball Z was my favourite show as a kid and really all the moves can be separated and put into a hotkey MMO.

The worlds could be massive and the bosses could be dynamic events.
    Obviously a new threat keeps showing up so they could keep adding "raid" tiers but really with this concept I think developers could truly go crazy and innovate, leading us away from trinity style gameplay.

there is already a DBZ MMO but only for koreans.

dbmmo.com

http://dbmmo.com/ There is one, but it doesn't really look like much...I would love a AAA version and would definitely give it a try.

In before the 'over 9000' jokes.

If I remember rightly, there have been attempts at this... I think a mod for Half Life had some sort of DBZ thing. A third person thing where you chose who to play as and entered this huge arena. You basically just flew around and fought everyone in some FFA deathmatch.

A DBZ MMO could work, tbh. But I think there wouldn't be 'raiding' as such. I mean, almost every fight in DBZ was 1v1 with few exceptions (Goku & Piccolo vs Raditz, Goku vs Jeyce and Burta, god damn everyone against Frieza, etc.: and even in that last example, most of the time it was 1v1 while the rest just watched and shat their pants).

Maybe it'd be a primarily PvP MMO? Exploring the worlds, fighting people you come across. There'd be tournaments every so often like in the show, and every so often a big bad evil guy comes along and tries to destroy the world. Maybe every so often the Dragonballs become active, and then EVERYONE is trying to collect a single set of Dragonballs... Man, that'd be some intense world PvP right there.

You could form teams and hunt the Dragonballs together, or go solo and just try to become so uber powerful that you can take on many people at once. I dunno. Could be fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I could think of was having to spend 4 days charging your fireball.

it would be fun for a time. i could see tournaments being held, like arena. i could see an ultra kamehameha wave being shot out and having to be charged for 10 minutes while the other guy is just standing there afk, making a sandwich or something. (it had BEST one shot him!!!)

So, to level up in a dbz mmo, would you just stand around shouting instead of going around killing mobs?

Haha this could actually be fun - I'd try it till the 9001 (couldn't help myself) obnoxious kids named xxssj4gokuxx drove me away. I think you'd have to absolutely butcher Dragonball "lore" to make it work, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    If I remember rightly, there have been attempts at this... I think a mod for Half Life had some sort of DBZ thing. A third person thing where you chose who to play as and entered this huge arena. You basically just flew around and fought everyone in some FFA deathmatch.
    Earth's Special Forces (ESF) I think. It was actually fun as hell and surprisingly well made. Krillin was OP. (wtf inorite)
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2011-12-09 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    All I could think of was having to spend 4 days charging your fireball.
    The longest power up scene in DBZ is 5 minutes long, and that's when Goku goes SS3. Also, the characters don't shoot fireballs, they shoot ki blasts, which scientifically speaking, are probably closer to blasts of bio-electricity than anything else.

Anywho, on topic. I've seen some gameplay for the game, read a bit about it concerning the story, and it looks okay. It doesn't look amazing, but Akira Toriyama is actually working on it, so honestly, if they release it in the states, I will absolutely be getting it. It may only be mediocre as an MMO, but come on, it's DBZ!!!

Concerning lore, I believe it's a few hundred years after GT. So it's likely the only original DBZ characters that we'll be seeing are Master Roshi and Goku. Though if we go to other world or back in time, there are obviously no limits.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    So, to level up in a dbz mmo, would you just stand around shouting instead of going around killing mobs?
    Spend 2 whole days grunting and shouting to level.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Spend 2 whole days grunting and shouting to level.
    Powering up doesn't actually make you stronger, it just brings out the strength you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Powering up doesn't actually make you stronger, it just brings out the strength you already have.
    Was a joke, in case you missed it.

wtb that Korean one being released in the US....

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    The longest power up scene in DBZ is 5 minutes long, and that's when Goku goes SS3.
    Is that true? I distinctly remember goku charging his spirit bomb on freeza for like 5 episodes. Then again i havent watched the show in probably 9 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Was a joke, in case you missed it.
    No jokes allowed here, EVER! I AM LAURCUS, THE DESTROYER OF FUN!

---------- Post added 2011-12-10 at 01:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kyati View Post
    Is that true? I distinctly remember goku charging his spirit bomb on freeza for like 5 episodes. Then again i havent watched the show in probably 9 years.
    He's only charging it for one episode, and most of that episode is a bunch of random scenes that cut away from the actual battle. Concerning actual time on screen where Goku is gathering energy for the spirit bomb, it's only a few minutes.

You were probably watching it on cartoon network, where you had to deal with the week of reruns before each new episode. Makes the series seem quite a bit more drawn out than it actually is.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2011-12-10 at 01:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That stupid one week fight against Freeza (spelling?) was what made quit watching DBZ a few episodes later. Can't believe why I stuck around for those few episodes too. Must have quit that terrible anime then and there. But I have to admit that the company is pretty brave to pretty imply that they don't give a rat's ass about the viewers and just wanna elongate the series as much as possible for making more money.

"King Varian, you wish to make war on my people!? You shall have your war, human. You will see the fury of the Horde rage through your cities. You will see your throne split in two! This I swear!" -Thrall, patch 4.2.0

Quote Originally Posted by neoscorpio View Post
    That stupid one week fight against Freeza (spelling?) was what made quit watching DBZ a few episodes later. Can't believe why I stuck around for those few episodes too. Must have quit that terrible anime then and there. But I have to admit that the company is pretty brave to pretty imply that they don't give a rat's ass about the viewers and just wanna elongate the series as much as possible for making more money.
    Uhh, two things. First off, the fight against Frieza only lasts a few hours, even less if you watch one of the versions on youtube that cuts out all the random scenes where it cuts away from the fight. And two, Toei animation has never stated ANYTHING even remotely similar to what you're describing, and I don't believe Akira Toriyama has either.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Haha this could actually be fun - I'd try it till the 9001 (couldn't help myself) obnoxious kids named xxssj4gokuxx drove me away. I think you'd have to absolutely butcher Dragonball "lore" to make it work, though.

Earth's Special Forces (ESF) I think. It was actually fun as hell and surprisingly well made. Krillin was OP. (wtf inorite)
    One of the newer games, DBZ: Ultimate tenkaichi, actually had character customization from scratch, it took place in an alternate universe where there were many more saiyans besides just Goku and Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by neoscorpio View Post
    The Freeza fight lasted barely a couple of hours , and DBZ was by far THE BEST series I have ever , and will ever watch . I feel sorry for you if you can't stand a couple hours of pure awesomeness .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by savvasp View Post
    The Freeza fight lasted barely a couple of hours , and DBZ was by far THE BEST series I have ever , and will ever watch . I feel sorry for you if you can't stand a couple hours of pure awesomeness .
    I own every episode on DvD, of DB and DBZ and I love the show but I don't know if "best ever" really qualifies. If you like anime, their are some other series that would like to meet you.