Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

use 1 sentence: describe Anets biggest design goal for GW2

Use one phrase/ one sentence to describe what you think is the biggest design goal for GW2.

feel free to discuss these statements if you think the other guys don't get the concept and want them to understand.

here's mine:
    Anet wants us to be able to play with our friends, whenever we like.

10+ Year Old Account
    They seem to understand the world is paramount in an MMO, not queues.

Dungeons and raids are fine for guilds and friends but the bread and butter should be the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    ArenaNet are trying to create a new, fresh MMO Universe

10+ Year Old Account
    Arenanet major design goal is a simple one: create an MMO in which the players will always have fun, with as little downtime as possible, by removing a lot of unnecessary design-elements (mostly grind, but also the way grouping traditionally worked) from older games and making the experience as fluid as possible, often by creating new, original ways of doing things or adapting things that already existed, but tweaking them in order to make them function better.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Immersion.

You know, that thing games used to be about before Developers got lazy and went the Skinner Box brainwashing route.
    A man chooses, a Slave obeys. OBEY! - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    First off, everyone in this thread is going to be correct. :P But I can do it in 1 word: Community.

10+ Year Old Account
    An MMORPG that promotes playing ad hoc with other people in the same world instead of punishing you for having to share that space.

i think i heard something along this line from one of the dev panels:
    "We do not want to make players feels having other players around becomes a hindrance to their enjoyment."

Creating a wholly casual MMO with no subscription fee or necessary cash shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Creating a wholly casual MMO with no subscription fee or necessary cash shop.
    don't agree on this
    one example where a gw2 designer talks about his goals:
    When sitting down to design the flow of a dungeon, my first consideration is creating challenges that the player must use skill and ingenuity to overcome. I’m not just designing these challenges for the players though; I’m designing them for myself as well. I come from a fairly hardcore player background, raiding in Everquest, World of Warcraft, and even City of Heroes. I love a good challenge, and I hope to reach out to the players who do as well.
    furthermore:
    Hardcore players looking for competition will be happy with the league system in place for Guild Wars 2. The most basic form of this is Pickup Tournaments. These consist of 8 teams and function on a single loss elimination premises. Winners in these tournaments earn qualifier points that can be used to gain access to monthly tournaments. Winners of the monthly tournaments will then be pitted against each other at the yearly tournament for ultimate bragging rights!
    For hardcore players looking to organize their own community events, player-run tournaments also exist. In these a game master can set map choices, team sizes, and many other features to make for unique and organized but customized tournament settings.
    Last edited by Maarius; 2011-12-10 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    don't agree on this
    one example where a gw2 designer talks about his goals:
    Not sure what that has to do with my quote.

Not sure what that has to do with my quote.
    Don't feed the derailment of this thread. We all know you don't like GW2 and how you think your uninformed opinion matters but just stop, every comment you post derails into a flame war.

OT:
    Fun, immersion filled, and player centered game with the focus on content that people are willing to pay for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Making money, yust like every business

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodygrinder View Post
    Don't feed the derailment of this thread. We all know you don't like GW2 and how you think your uninformed opinion matters but just stop, every comment you post derails into a flame war.
    I thought it was just me. Anyway if i had to sum it up in one sentence it would be; Finally a game company with the balls to step outside of the norm and provide an MMO for those of us that don't enjoy the raid centric experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Bodygrinder View Post
    Hm, care to link back to any thing I said negative about GW2 or a statement I made on misinformation? Or any instance in which I flamed someone?

People have sent me PMs thanking me for having a lively discussion without flaming. So yea, um, kinda dim.

Maarius replied to my quote with some dev quotes about dungeon challenge and ranked PVP. That doesn't seem the least bit related to my quote of a casual/grind free MMO without a sub fee or necessary cash shop.

10+ Year Old Account
    To create a game that will make them money.

well for me casual is the opposite to hardcore content. What I got from your post (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the game is wholly designed for a casual player. So hardcoreplayers wouldn't be pleased. Therefore I brought quotes to show you that the designers go for the whole community of mmo-players, not just the casual ones, but the hardcore players too.
    Last edited by Maarius; 2011-12-10 at 10:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm, care to link back to any thing I said negative about GW2 or a statement I made on misinformation? Or any instance in which I flamed someone?

People have sent me PMs thanking me for having a lively discussion without flaming. So yea, um, kinda dim.

Maarius replied to my quote with some dev quotes about dungeon challenge and ranked PVP. That doesn't seem the least bit related to my quote of a casual/grind free MMO without a sub fee or necessary cash shop.
    No, it's "related" because a lot of idiots think casual =easy, or casual players are bad at the game.

OT: I think anet is trying to create an mmo that's actually in a persistent world, where every hero doesn't become a demigod.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Returning the "MM" to "MMOs".

or

"Convenience isn't the above-all design doctrine".

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    well for me casual is the opposite to hardcore content. What I got from your post (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the game is wholly designed for a casual player. So hardcoreplayers wouldn't be pleased. Therefore I brought quotes to show you that the designers go for the whole community of mmo-players, not just the casual ones, but the hardcore players too.
    Nah, I don't use the term casual in that context. Casual play as in pick up-n-go. Sub based games usually have ridiculous grinds because they need to keep us playing & paying. The first GW1 as MOG got away with a sub-less system due to a number of factors. Evolving GW2 into a true persistent world MMO with that same business model I feel is not only the chief design goal but also it's biggest challenge.