Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why Salvation Army is bad.

http://www.prosebeforehos.com/cultur...ve-your-money/

A company that claims to give money to those in need but spends a great chunk of the money you donate to lobby for anti-gay laws? Regardless of one's views on homosexuality, it isn't right for a charity to use your funds that you intend to help people for their political agenda.

they also threatened to shut down shelters in new york if anti-gay laws weren't passed. What that means is, they are still making money from donations, and pocketing it....

At the bottom of the link is a site where you can find charities that don't have agendas and use your money for what they say they will.

This has nothing to do with religion, so don't start talking about it.

It's not just the Salvation Army though. Many charities spend more money on salaries and promotions rather then spend it on whatever cause they are involved with.

I worked for them as a swamper on a truck a few years ago. Worst job I've ever had. The entire place including management was incompetent. The manager frequently tagged better quality items "Save for Bonnie," and would take them a few days later.

One day carrying a recliner out of a truck and into one of the stores bays, the driver started driving. I fell out of the truck and fucked my knee up, they tried to move me down to part time while I was on workers comp to pay me less.

Fuck that entire charity, I actually hope they go under.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    It's not just the Salvation Army though. Many charities spend more money on salaries and promotions rather then spend it on whatever cause they are involved with.
    Which is fine, non profit organizations have to pay their employees some how, but the Salvation Army spends money to lobby against gay rights.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I've never been a huge fan of them anyways.

I've always been a water aid type of guy!

(That said, every time any charity posts an advert showing dying children and all that shit in the middle of the day, I instantly lose respect for them. I honestly hate those so much, they should really not be put on in the daytime on kids channels).
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Which is fine, non profit organizations have to pay their employees some how, but the Salvation Army spends money to lobby against gay rights.
    yeah, there is nothing wrong with paying for help, but to use money to lobby is another story.

If i said "hey, can I have $5 for gas to make it home" and spent it on a magazine instead, that would be morally wrong. when big charities do it, it's more than morally wrong.

lol I had to 100 hours of community service at a salvation army store.. i didnt see a single needy person come in the store. was mostly just a bunch of hoarders.

I was actually kind of happy to learn that they do this: now I have a legitimate reason to ignore the people ringing bells outside of several local stores.

(I donate time/money elsewhere already, so it's really just the simple guilt reaction I'm freed of.)

---------- Post added 2011-12-14 at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    lol I had to 100 hours of community service at a salvation army store.. i didnt see a single needy person come in the store. was mostly just a bunch of hoarders.
    Well, the idea's roughly supposed to be "People who have enough to spare donate goods. We sell goods to other people who want to be thrifty. We then use the profit from the difference to support charities."

Same with Goodwill and many other charities.

Guess I don't know how well that corresponds to reality, though.

So, the Red Cross and Salvation Army are both douchebags.

Who else is left? PETA? Hah.

I never understood donating to charity, why can't I just give money to homeless people in the street?

Deleted
    Who else is left? PETA? Hah.
    PETA actually spends close to 99% of their donations on advertising and their crazy stunts to get into the news.

I never understood donating to charity, why can't I just give money to homeless people in the street?
    Charities that know what they're doing can utilize the money being donated in ways that benifit people much more than you just giving it directly to the person. At it's most basic example wise, they can set up soup kitchens for the homeless, whereas giving the money to said homeless person would feed them for a week at best.

That being said, still nothing wrong with giving them money on the street if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggoo View Post
    To be honest, if a homeless man told me he was just going to buy beer with the money I give him, I'd gladly give him a few dollars.

Cus a lot of them are scam artists. Some are genuine, sure, but a lot of people make a lot of money on the streets.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    I previously worked for a Tourism company, where people could call the call centre and request accommodation in particular areas.

A rep for Salvation Army called one day, saying there was an important meeting for the 'higher-ups' of the organisation, meeting in Brisbane city over a long weekend, and they needed accommodation for 14 people for 3 nights.

"Spare no expense" was what the rep said. Their bill for 14 ppl for 3 nights in one of the most prestigious hotels in Brisbane was close to $19,000.

$19,000, just to keep their 'higher-ups' pampered.

Enjoy giving them money this Christmas, knowing its not going to the needy.
    Paper is fine, nerf Rock. ~Scissors

People need to realize that the Salvation Army is not by any means a charity. The Salvation Army is a church. They by no means have to use ANY of the money they receive on charitable affairs. Money would be much better used by actual NPO's like Doctors without Borders.

Good charities can make the money go farther. When you give a guy $5 on the street he may get something small, but a charity can buy in bulk and cut costs dramatically.

I already knew that the Salvation Army is a joke. The one here in town will take donations, keep them in the back, let the employees TAKE anything half-way decent, and put the rest of the crappy junk out in front for people to pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by elgato View Post
    People need to realize that the Salvation Army is not by any means a charity. The Salvation Army is a church. They by no means have to use ANY of the money they receive on charitable affairs. Money would be much better used by actual NPO's like Doctors without Borders.
    Please do not bring religion into this. Regardless of belief or political system, groups across the whole spectrum do this. This isn't about their beliefs, it's about them not doing what they say they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Charities that know what they're doing can utilize the money being donated in ways that benifit people much more than you just giving it directly to the person. At it's most basic example wise, they can set up soup kitchens for the homeless, whereas giving the money to said homeless person would feed them for a week at best.
    Now that I've crossed Salvation Army, PETA, and Red Cross off my list, as well as every cancer association, what's left?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oafus View Post
    Please do not bring religion into this. Regardless of belief or political system, groups across the whole spectrum do this. This isn't about their beliefs, it's about them not doing what they say they are doing.
    I think you misunderstood his point. He wasn't saying "Only Religious people do this". He was saying that they aren't officially a charity, and as such, the donations they recieve don't necessarily have to go towards charity, they are equally able to spend it on their Church, as that is what they are. A Church that occasionally does stuff for charity.

Now that I've crossed Salvation Army, PETA, and Red Cross off my list, as well as every cancer association, what's left?
    Charities such as Save the Children are my personal preference, as having studied the effect on NGO's on Africa, I can statistically say that they've at least done some lasting good.