Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreverlad View Post
    As the OP, I just wanted to clarify, this post wasn't created to mock the less experienced. We all have blind spots at some point in our gaming career. Additionally, Dynamic Events are one of the least of my concerns since bad/lazy gameplay can be made up for in strength in numbers; one DPS obsessed player who doesn't assist others will not cause the 29 others playing their professions dynamically to fail.
    I don't think you'll be able to out number a DE. As ANet said, however many people that are participating in the DE will determine the difficulty. What I worry about is even if those players who are bad and refuse to learn are still in the area contributing... the DE will scale since they are there. But if they're not doing it properly, or effectively, then that will screw other players who already know how to play, or those willing to learn.

Deleted
    Im not sure it really matters same point as in wow for example.
    Only place is if they end up in a 5-man competitive pvp team or 5-man dungeons. If you act as a boosted scrub there your team just wont be successful, simple as that.
    In everyday game otherwise it doesn't really matter what weapons and skills a singel player use really. Since you join public groups automatically there's no role check or anything like that, also cause there's no role.
    It will only affect competitive play, and as in most games: if you aren't skilled enough you aren't competitive enough.
    Just that there's more content to be unskilled in when it comes to GW2, cause you enjoy them on your own or in large public groups.

i dont mind noobs i mind stubborn players who think they're the the be all end all of gaming.

Deleted
    Well, I guess I'll start by making the obligatory comment - I have no problem whatsoever if someone is just learning...and I have no problem with people whos natural skill level just isn't as high even when fully maxed out - had some fantastic experiences with those kinds of folk...I'm not that competitive and enjoy the playing more than the winning.

The "baddies" for me are either the folk who are deliberately and with premeditation exploitative...or the folk who push people around and scream a lot.

Yeah, I call them arseholes too.

One of the things I *hated* and found upsetting about WoW - in vanilla, moving in to BC...when it stopped being about fun because nobody knew what they were doing, and became this...I don't even know what to call it...like, this tense environment of being told how you had to spec, what you had to do, how you had to dress...of it all being about the loot, about the progress - a half completed dungeon with talking and jokes was deemed a failure...only getting the boss down was success - even if it was in complete silence. All of a sudden people started to scream at other people because they weren't doing it right...you had to have a certain achievement or gear score. It was horrible.

So I suppose, getting to the point, I fear that happening again...I fear that the baddies will start to outweigh the good folk and all of the magic will go.

It's not an inevitability, of course, just a fear of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    Actually its not unknown.
    Nah. You are describing how DEs dole out reward and scale- well known to all tracking the game. That is separate to how Joe Baddie can effect a DE [adversely? we don't really know] for others.

There are no hard specifics I can find on what Anet define as poor play or how poor players impact the DE for other groups.

Poor participation is something that would be ridiculously hard to quantify.
    Indeed. Hence DE specifics such as poor play are murky at best till we get to play GW2 popularly.

10+ Year Old Account
    @RAWRF:

That's a very odd way to think. So the truly good players who expect other people to learn to play a game will be the detriment to the game while the "unskilled" masses won't?
    See, just in your first response to my post does the point go completely over your head. Let me elaborate for you.
    I don't mind truly skilled players at all, there will be a ton of them in GW2 just as there are a ton of them in every Genre of every game. However, this doesn't mean all truly skilled players are elitist assholes (which you're assuming they are, and accusing me of assuming the same). When I speak of Elitist Assholes, I'm talking about the people who won't lift a finger for anyone below their "level" and will proceed to scoff at them for being "lesser" than them.

Now on to "Stubborn players". Those are the unskilled players that refuse help. The ones who think everything they're doing is right, and everyone else is wrong and/or stupid. Unskilled players in general will not effect the game, but the ones who make running a dungeon a living hell because they refuse help are the ones that will. If only for a short time before getting kicked because they're assholes. Same goes for elitists.

So if you are intelligent enough to learn how to play well and to do the research to learn your class and role then you should have to hand hold people that are too lazy to put forth the same effort? I'm sorry, I am not against giving out advice or telling people what websites to go to but that is where I draw the line.
    I'd agree to this, but this isn't MMO 1.0 anymore. In a game like EQ I would accept just directing someone to a site and giving a few points because of how MMOs "worked" back then (if you played them, you would know). I'm a strong believer in community, and I have a strict "no tolerance" code for peoples bullcrap when they're keeping to themselves or being complete douche bags to people because they "can". I'm not saying that better players have to discuss things in detail to a new or unskilled player, I'm just saying that if they make a mistake, point it out, help them out, and continue to do so until they get it or otherwise. Sometimes it's not a matter of being lazy, it's just a matter of if they have the time to do all the research or just don't know where to start on huge info sites. Not everyone can be as Savvy as you or I or whoever.

The unskilled players who refuse to learn should be yes, the skilled players who won't hand hold those people though? That line of thinking is simply ignorant. I do not play games in order to teach baddies how to play. That is not where my fun is derived from, and for that I should be spit on and shunned? Grow up.
    Here's you assuming again, not getting the point, and then proceeding to insult me. Again, I'm not speaking for all skilled players, I'm talking about the ones who are assholes who don't share knowledge, who don't care for community bonds on a large scale, and for those who shun others for not knowing that the Shatterer does an AoE at a certain time. TEACH THEM! If you don't like to, and would rather kick them instantly, then you're no better than the elitist fuckasses for being impatient and not giving someone at least a chance. You're telling me to grow up, but at least I'm willing to MATURELY help someone out even if it's not fun. I do it for the greater good, and as I've stated, I've made many friends in the past this way who've become GREAT players.

That is quite a strong opinion. Thank god it is only that, and opinion. You know what they say, "opinions are like assholes, most of them stink".
    It's an opinion that holds its' place, and is seen in all MMOs. It's really actually a universal truth. If you have 3 people who are friends and one friend becomes a major asshole, what do you think is going to happen? That one friend is going to get outed. It's natural. So if you have 3 regular MMO players and one is an elitist prick or a terrible player that refuses advice, or even a trolltastic bastard, then that player is going to be outed.

You're obviously not a team player. I've nothing else to say to you. Have fun being L337 in GW2 by yourself.
    Last edited by Cuchulainn; 2011-12-17 at 12:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    @RAWRF:

-snip-
    Yeah, I can't stand people like RAWRF. It took everything I had to not rage at him for being an elitist. And if anyone's ever looked at my posting history, then you'd know that I'm not a nice guy most of the time. Only when it's warranted though. In this case, it was most definitely warranted, but seeing as RAWRF is one of those posters who looks at everything in a selfish and objective manner, what's the point of getting on his case, frothing at the mouth?

The point is; no one should be treated like garbage and ignored because they're a bad player. Do not judge them by how they play, judge them by how they act toward others. RAWRF is just one of those guys who thinks that the game revolves around him, and if you're not a good player, then not a single fuck will be given. What a load of shit.

Helping players = improving the quality of the community.
    Being a selfish ass = well, you're just an ass.

That was awesome I hope the Guild Wars community is as bomb as all of you here.
    Last edited by worprz; 2011-12-17 at 03:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post
    That was awesome I hope the Guild Wars community is as bomb as all of you here.
    I'm sorry, what was awesome?
    I know after you tell me I'm going to feel like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    I'm sorry, what was awesome?
    I know after you tell me I'm going to feel like an idiot.
    Just basically everything you said lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just hope arenanet actually creates a learning curve for players so they have motivation to get better. blizzards reaction is to mutilate content so the players get their easy shit and never LEARN. It's giving a person to fish and never teaching them how to fish. I'm not bitching about wow being super easy, the hard modes are fine, my problem is amount of bad players to good players is astounding because they just don't ever fucking learn how to be good due to the design of the game.

How they will affect? they already have, just take a look at LFR, the constant nerfing to already cake-with-chocolate-icing bosses, I'm no elitist but It would be nice to actually do a boss properly and with decent/dangerous abilities, right now I can use my left-hand to masturbate and just mouse-to-click & clicking abilities on my actionbars while looking at Malin Åkerman galleries on my other monitor.

Oh yeah and before people yell "THEN DONT DO IT, YOU NOOB LOL" I do both regular and normal Dragon Soul, sorta mandatory in my guild when you need to gear up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirakh View Post
    How they will affect? they already have, just take a look at LFR, the constant nerfing to already cake-with-chocolate-icing bosses, I'm no elitist but It would be nice to actually do a boss properly and with decent/dangerous abilities, right now I can use my left-hand to masturbate and just mouse-to-click & clicking abilities on my actionbars while looking at Malin Åkerman galleries on my other monitor.

Oh yeah and before people yell "THEN DONT DO IT, YOU NOOB LOL" I do both regular and normal Dragon Soul, sorta mandatory in my guild when you need to gear up fast.
    ‎(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

This is a GW2 forum, buddy.
    Last edited by airea; 2011-12-17 at 04:10 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    ‎(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

This is a GW2 forum, buddy.
    ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

It seems every gw2 thread should have a gw2 tag, or perhaps a small logo.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Its very obvious that there is difference between the definitions of "help" and "hand-holding." Those values are at different quantities for different people. For all us readers know, RAWRF and Cuchulainn's value of "help" may be at the same value; or they may be very different (which is more likely).

What IS important in this thread, I think, is that this is a chance for us to help build a good, strong, unified community with-in the game (when it releases). This includes helping one another. It is especially important in the early months because players who have gone further in a short amount of time (beta players, or players who have the time to devote to the game) would have the advantage and it would be up to those players to help the newer players. Please don't misconstrue what I said into "If you make it to max lv first, you have to help everyone." What I AM saying is that those players to make it further, faster will determine the a big part of the community. Building community while leveling will obviously be a very important part of the game, however, think on this: If a player A (more experienced) helps player B (less experienced), do you think player B would be more or less likely to help players who come after them?

Pay it forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

Or just a warning pop-up before you post,

[Attention, you are now posting in a Guild Wars 2 thread. Mouthbreathers shall kindly refrain from posting within.]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

They said they we're going to do that weeks ago (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

10+ Year Old Account
    @RAWRF:

Thats the thing though. I won't be leet in GW by myself. I will be leet in GW with other leet people and steamroll w/e content they have. This is because I am not a lazy player and I will go out and learn everything I possibly can to be the best I possibly can. While you are sitting around in kindergarten teaching the people who are too lazy to teach themselves I will be having tons of fun with people like me.

As I said, I have no problems offering people advice, but im not going to hold someones hand because they are too lazy to research the relevant info by themselves. But apparently you must have missed that part.
    Well, there's still really no way of knowing if you're going to be leet at all. You could be saying this now, then end up in the "stubborn ass baddie who thinks he knows everything and can't do wrong" category. Well, either way, just do us all a favor and stay with those people, no one wants to hear you rage in chat because little billy the elementalist didn't throw down a fire wall for you to shoot arrows through .01 seconds after you requested it. I have no problem helping people, because helping your fellow is helping everyone. So while you're "facerolling content" I'll be doing the same and people like me will be helping out the players who parse 100 DPS lower than you during a DE. Thay used to be terrible players, but they got better because great players helped them, thus allowing your "facerolling" to be possible.

Let's take it a step further. If all good players thought like you, then do you think there would even be content on the web to help players get better? Probably not, because those people would be elitist assholes who keep every bit of knowledge to themselves. Then when a newb asks for help the leet players would be like "here's a link to a your moms house! GTFO n00b!"

It's the good players who like the rewarding feeling of helping new players out who make articles online that outline how to be a good player/spec and gear correctly. So yeah, you can thank the mathematicians, theorycrafters, and players better than you for those articles that'll make you better at GW2. You know...the good players who like to help people on a deeper level.

Saying "I don't mind helping" and then "I wont hold hands" is retarded and contradictory. It's either/or in most cases. Like I said. TEACH THEM! little by little, time by time. They'll get better and not only will you have a great player in your group, but also the rewarding feeling of doing the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Its very obvious that there is difference between the definitions of "help" and "hand-holding." Those values are at different quantities for different people.
    Where I draw the line is when I have explicitly helped the person to the point where I feel like I'm literally babysitting a 12 year old. After that, I just don't think they have the mental capacity to handle an MMO yet, simply because, well, they're most likely under 13 years old. I will help many players as much as I can, but at a certain point they just can't be helped because it's too hard for them to understand. This is when I feel it's okay to just let it go.

But to say that giving pointers and occasionally explaining things are methods of "handholding", is just rude, selfish, pompous, and probably self absorbed. People need to realize the point of having it be massively multiplayer is to get to know people and make friends to have fun with. How do we make connections within a community? Being nice is usually a good place to start. Some people just need to get a clue or go home.
    Last edited by airea; 2011-12-17 at 04:36 AM.