Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Stats for Disc priest

Hello Fellow priest forum, im an immegrant from the Shaman forum and have since recently begun the process of gearing a disc priest for pve raiding. My role and task in the raid will vary from raid healing to tank healing. The reason i have decided to make this thread is because im slightly confused about the stats that i should be aiming towards as a disc priest. I have checked various guides such as Elitist Jerks as well as the guide here on the priest forum but i dont find any definitive answer.

When guiding me towards the right stat values, i beg you not to use expressions such as "as much as u feel comforatable with" because thats bulls@!t talk for "i dont rly know what im talking about". A percentage of some sort would be ideal. (please dont discuss spirit as i know its highly personal, just mention how much your running with).

Thanks in advance!
    <a href=http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormscale/Miga/advanced" target="_blank">Armory</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Miga View Post
    Hello Fellow priest forum, im an immegrant from the Shaman forum and have since recently begun the process of gearing a disc priest for pve raiding. My role and task in the raid will vary from raid healing to tank healing. The reason i have decided to make this thread is because im slightly confused about the stats that i should be aiming towards as a disc priest. I have checked various guides such as Elitist Jerks as well as the guide here on the priest forum but i dont find any definitive answer.

When guiding me towards the right stat values, i beg you not to use expressions such as "as much as u feel comforatable with" because thats bulls@!t talk for "i dont rly know what im talking about". A percentage of some sort would be ideal. (please dont discuss spirit as i know its highly personal, just mention how much your running with).

Thanks in advance!
    ..What?
    ..WHAT?!
    I mean, we really can't give you a percentage! Healing is one of those things where you go with what you're comfortable with. Plus, it depends on so many things, whether it's 10 man or 25 man, whether you'll be tank healing or raid healing the majority of the time, your healing comp, and even your DPS comp. Your trinkets, your gear. For someone who wants definite, concrete answers, you're not helping us out any by just throwing yourself out here :l

Mostly I see people doing either stacking haste or going a mix between mastery and crit (what I do) imo its more of your play style but one of those two.

What you're asking doesn't exist for disc. There are crit stackers, mst stackers and hst stackers pulling ranks.

The "right" stats - it depends on which encounter you're tuning against and what your healing breakdown looks like for that fight. Especially what total % of your output is absorbs, also how aggressively you heal (how high your overheal is) and what your strategy is for spirit. Read: your playstyle.

You could head on over to EJ and just mimic their disc guide, but you won't get amazing results because itemization is tailored to how you have to play for your raidgroup.

Well i would say aim for 50% haste 50% crit and around 30 mastery. If you can get more then by all means.
    Thats regarding the concrete % values.

If you think about it though, its all subjective. There is no haste platoes (not relevant anyway), there is no magic crit soft cap, and the mastery is even more mysterious. I found out with replenishment i can work with 2400 spirit with ease. Im juggling spirit on the way after each gear i get. I try to have mastery and haste as equal weights and crit a little bit down. Not much though. So basically almost all stats are same for me since im neither tank healing nor raid healing. Im jask of all trades, master of none but hey.

Anyway if you are looking for definitive % values you came to the wrong place, playing the wrong class.

Hmm maybe aim for 70% haste, 60% crit and 40 mastery. Yeah i think that would be better.

/sarcasm

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're dropping to 2400 spirit, put everything you can into mastery and haste, and completely ignore crit. Being an asshole when asking for help isn't the best way to go about it, either.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest. The correct answer is what you feel comfortable with. and are you raiding 10 man or 25 mans? if you're going 25 man, go mastery. At least mastery>haste in 25 mans in 4.2 patch. ( our guild stepped down from 25man to 10 man late 4.2patch so I didn't bother much with 4.3 patch :P )

Personally I don't reforge into mastery, but I try to leave it as is and reforge from all spirit into haste and crit. I'm running with 12.25% haste and 22% crit unbuffed.

Yes I bet you've heard that disc doesn't need spirit, but I feel that you need to hit a certain point in Int before you start reforging out of spirit. You just need to find that point yourself.
    If you want to know my amount of spirit. It's 1596 spirit at 388 Ilvl equipped.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow thanks for the quick replys!

Ah yes i was a little vague in my original post but our raid setup ( i raid 10 man) is consistently:

Tanks: Feral tank , Prot warrior
    Healers: Holy pala , (me on priest or shaman)
    Dps: Surv Hunter, Balance Druid, Fury warrior, Combat rogue, Feral Druid and a Fire mage.

Armory is link is:http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...e/Eliza/simple
    As you can tell by the armory i dont got a fuckin clue what to aim for, The Elitist guide said a mix of the 3 (!?!?!) so thats what i was doing so far. Dont mind the unenchanted items, im fixing it tonight - same goes for the wrong gems (red ones are 300 fucking gold per gem) fixing that after as well.

i like haste, is that a viable option to go for?

then i might as well ask another question while im still here, Should i use Seal of the 7 sights, or the trinket from Ultraxion? (with Heart of the Unliving ofc)

---------- Post added 2011-12-19 at 01:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tihr View Post
    an asshole when asking for help isn't the best way to go about it, either.
    Asshole? how have I in any way been an asshole? The question is phrased in such a way to discourage vague answers, but is in no way offensive or caused any harm to those who read it. I appreciate the help you gave though it was very enlightening.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What trinket? The one that heals a random target like army of the dead? It sucks. Stick with the seal in my opinion. And your armory looks fine tbh.
    I'm gonna be a bit of a douche and say you should get as much haste as you feel comfortable with :P I'm comfortable with around 12% and it suits me well. Now I just go for crit.
    But, if you use atonement a lot, like me, a haste/crit build would be better than mastery I think.
    Talents; you might want to get inspiration, as 10% reduction is quite a lot and it is calculated before shields making them last longer.

Last, fix your professions :P level up another one and not only 1 :3

Edit: Just went over your reforging on your armory. I see you reforge out of spirit, but also in to spirit. The shoulders as an example.
    You say you like haste, but you also reforge out an into it.

I'll just leave my armory as well since others are doing it :P

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%C3%BCb/simple
    Last edited by Scrubity; 2011-12-19 at 02:28 PM.

Deleted
    Welcome to priest forum, and welcome to disc priesting which is the most versatile class of gearing up as u can basicly go all routes.
    U got Mastery/Haste Mastery/Crit or Crit/Mastery not to forget the Haste/Crit, and yea it just how u like to play and how it works out in ur setup.

I have a Mastery set with more Crit as my focus lies more with the tanks, some fights i switch to mastery haste set or go holy if i feel like it. (4.7% haste disc normal, ~14% with haste peices). Mastery is 17.77 (1751 rating) Crit 17.5% (924 rating) haste 4.7% (rating 602) with the current Mastery/haste set i dont have the values in rating and crit of my mastery haste set. Also add 390 Mastery as im running with Necromantic Focus and i have a uptime around 90% of that buff. This all with spirit between 2300 and 2500 (depending on set) which is for me the sweet spot since t11.

Fights with massive AoE healing like utraxion, Zon'oss i go for more haste difference is noticable on tank healing tho but with good CD usage its fine other than that i didnt feel the need to run with more haste on all the fights.

Why i go for Mastery / Crit(haste) is the fact that in 10man u not healing the tank 24/7 as ur also taking care of the raid often enough.

Also healing with a HPally and his focus lies more to the raid, we help out on both roles and it works great.
    It all depends on ur setup, we dont have a Shaman nor Mage or DemonLock so we lack some caster/healer buff but this works out for us.
    So having a haste set just for some fights aint bad to have, also haste set works good for Holy and Shadow cpaired with mastery as second highest stat on items.

Anyways be aware of the fact that Priest healing is more addictive than any other class i played and i played tank dps and healing. If u like ur shaman, than dont try to neglect her i did that with my old main and he's very sad about it.

Dont say i didnt warn u.
    Last edited by mmoc3c8522fde4; 2011-12-19 at 01:10 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    @ Scrubity Thanks alot for the advice, my priest has essentially been dormant for most part of Cata (untill 4.3) where i decided it was time to dust it off and start working on it seriously. I have to say the least, been extremely lucky with gear these past 3 weeks and gathered a whole lot of gear in a short time. About the Proffession, so far its been my alt so i just havent taken the time to lvl it, but i will probably powerlvl either alchemy or engineering later tonight.

@Thanks for the Warm Welcome ^^ Thats exatly why i wanted to start on the priest again, the amount of versitility and options vastly outperforms my current main (resto shaman). God there is alot of options how i want to gear the priest, and i feel exactly like you do in the sense that i dont have a specific role in our 10 man, its heal whatever is taking dmg, weather it be a tank or dps it dosent rly matter (me and our holy pala got very good teamwork). Do u feel that crit / mastery is the best option for a 10 man when healing with a holy pala?

Deleted
    Here is my disc priest; http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ixene/advanced

I went for a mix of mastery + crit, I raid in 10mans. I would however recommend a holy offspec (I hate holy tho D, some fights in dragon soul normal I think a holy priest outperforms a disc priest (1 being Ultraxion).

My choices to go for more crit, is due to reviewing my healing done. Here you can see; http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-mi...=11628&e=11981 devine aegis was my 2nd top heal (it ofcourse varies on the fight)

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-mi...?s=3509&e=3824 < Ultraxion as Holy.

But as others said it really is a matter of your own prefrence, other things seem to work for others. IMO I think haste is less needed due to the buff we get "Power Infusion"

honestly, what I found about disc priests is that there is no "right way" of doing things.

I've stacked mastery, I've stacked haste/mastery, I've tried a crit/haste build (but oddly enough no mastery/crit yet)... I've found that I was actually adapting my play style to keep people up. So if you prefer doing bubble spamming, you'd probably want to stack as much mastery as you can. If you toss bubbles only to help reduce incoming dmg and heal normally otherwise, I'd suggest haste/mastery. It all just kinda depends on how you will be healing in your raid.

This definitely isnt that answer you wanted to hear, but disc priests are the special butterflies of healers.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The play style argument is sadly mostly true. I used to be confused by this. I'm a haste/crit stacker and run around 2000 spirit. I used to go oom all the time with 2800 spirit and found that being a bit more efficient with my healing (ie utilizing rapture to the fullest and less bubble spamming this setup worked for me. I would suggest choosing one route and testing it in lfr. I ran lfr 5 times last week to test and it showed when it came down to our regular raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Vixene View Post
    But as others said it really is a matter of your own prefrence, other things seem to work for others. IMO I think haste is less needed due to the buff we get "Power Infusion"
    All is well on how you build things, but honestly myself I feed my PI to my shadow priests to help buff damage for the fights. IMO a Disc priest shouldn't be using his Power Infusion on himself. It is much more useful and benificial as a whole to give it to a dps during a burn phase.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have reforged all my spirit to mastery/haste, and till now, I haven't had any problems with mana. Spirit seems REALLY stupid for me, right now, and I'm running with 1666.

But, I'd actually suggest going for Mastery/Crit first, see how comfortable you are with that, if not, then go Full Haste. It's a bit harder to play but you'll (most likely) do more healing and it's more fun, too. Good luck.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Iv had loads of experience playing various healing classes, so im completely aware of how to heal, so if haste is a viable option, thats what i will be going for, since most of my gear is haste / spirit items (reforged away all spirit to mastery or haste).

Quote Originally Posted by Miga View Post
    Wow thanks for the quick replys!

Ah yes i was a little vague in my original post but our raid setup ( i raid 10 man) is consistently:

Tanks: Feral tank , Prot warrior
    Healers: Holy pala , (me on priest or shaman)
    Dps: Surv Hunter, Balance Druid, Fury warrior, Combat rogue, Feral Druid and a Fire mage.

As you can tell by the armory i dont got a fuckin clue what to aim for, The Elitist guide said a mix of the 3 (!?!?!) so thats what i was doing so far. Dont mind the unenchanted items, im fixing it tonight - same goes for the wrong gems (red ones are 300 fucking gold per gem) fixing that after as well.

i like haste, is that a viable option to go for?

then i might as well ask another question while im still here, Should i use Seal of the 7 sights, or the trinket from Ultraxion? (with Heart of the Unliving ofc)

---------- Post added 2011-12-19 at 01:34 PM ----------

Asshole? how have I in any way been an asshole? The question is phrased in such a way to discourage vague answers, but is in no way offensive or caused any harm to those who read it. I appreciate the help you gave though it was very enlightening.
    Looking at your tree I would personally drop Blessed Resiliance talent, and put it into Divine Touch if youre using Renew at all. But again, thats all personal preference. And obviously, youd want to drop all your Shadow glyphs and pick up glyphs for Holy.

Deleted
    I'm haste > mastery = crit.
    Usually going for haste just under 13%. No math, just feeling :P
    Have roughly 1650 haste, 1100 mastery, 1050 crit atm, with nearly 2400 spirit (then add Tsunami to that).

I've increased my spirit by about 800 since FL. I heal very aggressively and feel it's needed. :P

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have gone with a build in mastery, haste and crit. What I have found out is that I was able to put out the largest numbers (HPS) with a crit build. Unfortunately, I run 10 mans and we two heal everything. Because of this, I need to stack more haste then I would if I was running a 25 man raid. The slow cast of a crit stacking build just does not work for our raid makeup. Right now I am running with 12.7% haste (2/3 darkness), 19.36% crit and 14.5 Mastery (2500 spirit and Heart of the unliving-800 additional spirit). I am very aggressive so I need the spirit. I am currently changing my stats daily trying new things. Like many posters said, the build really depends on the fight and what you are trying to do. Just mess around in LFR with the different builds and see what fits your healing style the best.