Will Ram increase my fps?

My computer specs:
    Macook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    I think the hard drive is only like 110 gb

Anyway, I've started playing SW:TOR, and in the beta we were allowed to lower clip distance so I could get a little under 30 fps out and about and it would drop to around 18 - 24 fps in FPs. However now in live you can't lower the clip distance and I'm averaging around 22 fps in the world and it will drop to around 10 fps in FPs, which can be worked with, but I'm planning on raiding and that's not acceptable to put out a good performance. (In WoW I never had any problems, would raid and stay around 30 fps, mid 40s outside of raids, held many top 50 ranks, a couple top 10).

As soon as I get a job and have the means to I will be building a custom PC, but I was just wondering if I upgrade my RAM alone, for now, will that increase my fps? (Macs can't upgrade their graphics cards edit: my mac can't upgrade its graphics card).
    Last edited by Guillotine811; 2011-12-20 at 04:51 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Memory has no direct impact on FPS. For a game like WoW and SW:ToR the direct components that affect FPS will be the CPU and the GPU. The 9400M and the Core 2 Duo are several years old now and it isn't suprising that you're see the PC's age affecting the playability of ToR.

Deleted
    Not really. Your CPU and GPU is bottlenecking everything. Upgrading to 4 gig might give you a slightly fps boost when playing SW:TOR, but it won't be worth it.

As you said, build a custom PC for games. And you can upgrade the graphic card in a mac pro fyi

If your mac is having to page to the hard drive, as in use it as extra temporary storage then yes increasing the amount of ram should help since that is a process rather slower by a huge margin then using the ram itself.
    As for how much of an impact that will be however remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Not really. Your CPU and GPU is bottlenecking everything. Upgrading to 4 gig might give you a slightly fps boost when playing SW:TOR, but it won't be worth it.

As you said, build a custom PC for games. And you can upgrade the graphic card in a mac pro fyi
    Oh yea, yea I knew that not sure why I said that like that lol.

Thank you for the responses guys this is kind of what I figured. Oh well, more money to save towards the PC

10+ Year Old Account
    A new GPU will have a big effect on your fps. Something around 560TI is a good choice.

You may seem a minimal FPS increase, but it probably wouldn't be worth the money or effort...

Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    A new GPU will have a big effect on your fps. Something around 560TI is a good choice.
    He's using a laptop... And not just any laptop, a Macbook, I doubt a 560ti will fit. ;-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    Lol, the 560Ti is like half the size of the computer
    Last edited by mmocf48d514961; 2011-12-20 at 04:56 PM.

Adding more RAM will not improve framerates much, but it will improve loading times. At least in WoW. No clue about the other games.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.