Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the Russians want it removed completely.

Basically, the shield removes the MAD principle, by making it so that we can nuke Russia but they can't nuke us. Since most missiles can be shot down manually in the time it takes them to get from Russia to North America, Russia's primary target in nuclear war would be Europe. Kind of like how when you can't kill Batman, you go after everyone he loves and cares about. The shield takes that away too.

Which makes this politically awkward for Russia, because they are basically saying "We demand the right to vaporize smaller and weaker nations without interference!". While it's somewhat justified, it's a hard line to sell.
    The Russians don't want it removed. From this article here, it seems they want to jump on board and help build it. They said that they just want legal guarantees that it won't be directed at them. At least that's what I gathered from this.
    http://en.rian.ru/world/20111006/167449648.html

But if it's like you say, you make a great point. Guess we'll see how this plays out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brytryne View Post
    Also did you just compare the US to batman....
    True, Israel is more like Batman, we're OP like Superman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    True, Israel is more like Batman, we're OP like Superman.
    Communite, my only weakness!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    Seriously, nobody has the balls to press the red button.
    Yeah, right. You probably don't realize that the cuba crisis was an even closer escape from annihilation than what most people think.

Read about it on Pravda a long time ago. Surprised western journalists finally caught on. It's actually the SATAN II missile though. It's capable of distributing 100 tons of propaganda around the entire world, increasing the chances that some western journalist will take it seriously and actually believe that Russia has the time and money to waste on such a venture.

EDIT: Seriously, plug the Russian language version of Pravda into babelfish and check it out. It's nothing but a constant stream of propaganda and you'd think that world war 3 was imminent, but that's just Russian style propaganda. Nobody in Russia believes anything Pravda says, nor does anybody who works for Pravda for that matter.

Think of it as "FOX News Russia".
    Last edited by Gheld; 2011-12-22 at 06:03 PM.

Looks like things are starting to heat up, and Russia is doing what it does best when its pissed. rattle its saber.
    This is kind of reminiscent of when they built the largest nuke ever (Tsar bomb) back in the early 60's and set it off just to piss everyone off and scare the shit out of their neighbors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    The Russians don't want it removed. From this article here, it seems they want to jump on board and help build it. They said that they just want legal guarantees that it won't be directed at them. At least that's what I gathered from this.
    http://en.rian.ru/world/20111006/167449648.html

But if it's like you say, you make a great point. Guess we'll see how this plays out.
    Guess we will. Though, I'll say this much; you are most likely right. I've spent very little time researching the situation, mostly just absorbing the bits and pieces I've heard here and there. Sounds like you've actually looked into it.

anyone know what the blast radius i on this thing might be? a couple miles in every direction? 3 miles in every direction?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    Looks like things are starting to heat up, and Russia is doing what it does best when its pissed. rattle its saber.
    This is kind of reminiscent of when they built the largest nuke ever (Tsar bomb) back in the early 60's and set it off just to piss everyone off and scare the shit out of their neighbors.
    What a joke of a bomb. Almost killed the pilots who dropped it. Was pretty good propaganda, but totally useless in a real war. The damn thing was so heavy, getting it to America with a long-range bomber would be near impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    What a joke of a bomb. Almost killed the pilots who dropped it. Was pretty good propaganda, but totally useless in a real war. The damn thing was so heavy, getting it to America with a long-range bomber would be near impossible.
    Yes. And this thing is equally useless as well. Its so damn big the defense systems already in place would be able to sight it and bring it down ridiculously fast anyways.

The Tsar bomb was ridiculous. They set it to under 50% of its explosive capacity and it still annihilated everything within a 34 mile radius, had a mushroom cloud several miles high, and the blast took out windows in Finland. The thing was so big that making the massive parachute for it caused a disruption in the Russian textile industry.

Here is how powerful the damn thing was when it exploded. And keep in mind, it was tested at half strength.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastblow View Post
    in response the euro missile shield the US is building Russia is building 100-Ton Ballistics Missile also called the Satan missile
    http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ceptor-topol-m
    I can see that Russia misses the Cold War more then anything.