Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    After playing Skyrim I have no qualms about fast travel. I imagine that Guild Wars 2 will be similar to the way it works in Skyrim. You find some cool stuff if you walk and I feel bad fast traveling when I have time to explore. But when you just want to be somewhere and get something done you can just fast travel. It's good to give the choice but it only works if you can get anything from exploring, which you can in Guild Wars 2 according to what I've read and learned.

---------- Post added 2011-12-23 at 05:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jit View Post
    There actually is a system like that in gw2. To get profession traits you you have to explore the world. There are even some secret bosses in the game.
    ex
    I noticed that there is a in game cost to fast travel, that makes it more of a choice than if it was free.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

I believe they are doing that a bit I remember seeing a secret cave that led to a hidden dynamic event.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reward for exploring is unlocking the waypoints to get around faster. :P

The thing to remember is exploration is how you find content in the game. The vast majority of the content in the game is out in the world for you to find on your own, if you don't explore you'll miss out on a lot of stuff. Yeah the Personal Story is a guided experience, but otherwise go out and explore the world. This is the first time that an MMO has encouraged exploration by design and just exploration in general has been pointless for nearly a decade. As I said earlier in the thread quick travel isn't really something you'll do all that often because there's very few reasons to do so.

Well the answer is simple. If you dont like fast travel dont use it. I'd love to travel around the world and explore but i dont want to travel 15 mins from one side of the world to the other to meet a friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember they said there will be a hidden castle with a spell book in it that will cause many bad things to happen upon using it.... I will find that book...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Yes, I fully agree with you OP, I loved the same thing in Rift, one of the best things they brought. I played in beta and was exploring since I wanted to see a bit of all the zones I could at least, and think I got to same rock mesa as you (could have been another one and there's more) and since I was curious to see if I could get on top, I started to climb... and was really amazed to find the chest up there, made me happy. Hope we see something at least similar in Guild Wars 2, maybe even some puzzles.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    I remember they said there will be a hidden castle with a spell book in it that will cause many bad things to happen upon using it.... I will find that book...
    on some GM island probably?

Deleted
    I just hope people will realize to check underwater places too.
    Anet said years ago that the game isn't released yet because creating the underwater continents is one of the things that is delaying the game.

Though things probably have changed since then, but I still believe underwater places are going to be a large part of the game, not just something to swim through and never visit again.
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2011-12-23 at 11:39 PM. Reason: misspell

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my god.
    I'll explore EVERYTHING!

10+ Year Old Account
    You're meant to be able to find Oola's lab from GW1 too

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    on some GM island probably?
    If so (i doubt it is), i will get there! I got there via swimming in WoW, and will get there in GW2 as well!! *throws back his head and lets out an evil asura BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!*
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Questar View Post
    what do u guys mean by fast travel?

i take it that u meant the waypoint system. i would prefer to have it. u would already have to travel to the waypoint once to activate it so everyone would need to explore the world once to get all the waypoints.
    in an mmo without waypoints(or flight points), i think most players will gravitate to somewhere in the middle of the world as a staging point becos it is the most convenient place to be. the outskirts of the world would be less travelled to.

also, is there a hearthstone? something that would let u teleport away if you are stuck somewhere.
    kinda like oblivion you can travel places without having to actually walk you click the location on your map and it teleports you there.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

That book is mine!
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    That type of stuff will be on the wiki within hours of launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    That type of stuff will be on the wiki within hours of launch.
    true just like the recipes in the crafting system doesn't mean everyone will use them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SPeedy26 View Post
    true just like the recipes in the crafting system doesn't mean everyone will use them.
    Okay... I was just throwing that out there, would make it easier for a lot of people that don't want to spend hours looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    Okay... I was just throwing that out there, would make it easier for a lot of people that don't want to spend hours looking.
    It is quite possible to get a more epic feel if it randomly appeared, like a mirage castle. It has several spawn points and it randomly appears (by several I mean it can appear wherever it wants!). Course you can camp a spawn point but you get the real epic feeling of going out and all of a sudden... BOOM mirage castle appears.

I would really be excited if that happened to me! Or maybe you have to hunt a rare item in a deep cavern to make it appear.

Ahh I could dream.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully there will be hidden treasures chest in the world guarded by a mini solo-able boss or something. Drops a little something. Nothing majorly game changing but like some extra EXP, some gold and maybe a vanity item. A hat maybe. I would enjoy such small details.
    Doctor Octopus : 80 Asura Warrior
    Captain McNuggets : 80 Human Mesmer
    Professor McNuggets : 36 Asura Engineer
    General McNuggets: 11 Sylvari Thief

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    I just hope people will realize to check underwater places too.
    Anet said years ago that the game isn't released yet because creating the underwater continents is one of the things that is delaying the game.

Though things probably have changed since then, but I still believe underwater places are going to be a large part of the game, not just something to swim through and never visit again.
    They've said the underwater content is about 1/3rd of the gameworld so yeah hopefully people do realize there's tons of content to be found there.