Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    That's quite a nice site you got there, Yalu. It'd be a shame if something happened to it...
    Wild The Shatterer appeared!

Creeper ran away in fear!

Deleted
    Good luck Cuchulainn. I'm rooting for you, hope they start cleaning up those moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    Creeper ran away in fear!
    What if creeper has a master ball?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    Good luck Cuchulainn. I'm rooting for you, hope they start cleaning up those moderators.

What if creeper has a master ball?
    Yeah, I've been talking with KQ, who's a really cool mod, but so far it's just him telling me "we have to do what we have to do", which I understand, but there's gotta be a limit. At the moment, it's all just them killing discussions based on their own view rather than the banner of "rules" they wave around. Pretty much all of my points made to him are devalued by the fact that I called mods out on their forums via a thread rather than a PM. He's stressing to me that I should contact mods, and that's the reason why they have contact links in all of their sigs. What use is that though when you get blown off or criminalized when you send them a concern? This is especially true when the concern involves the mod you're PMing. I wish they were more like the mods on this board. Not that I'm kissing ass, I'm just pointing out a good example (save you, eclipse! I'll get you next time! *shake fist*).

All in all, I don't think it's going to end well for me. It's hard to change something when it's already established. I wouldn't try so hard if I didn't care, and I do care. All I'm asking is for them to be a little more laid back, but that might not ever happen.

/sigh

At least I have this board!

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    The general population are nice, but special snowflake blue name posters and powertrip mods tend to ruin the atmosphere.
    As soon as I saw mods editing developer posts for content, I knew the forums would be a waste of space. If you don't even allow the devs to make uncensored posts about the game your forums are for, then what is the point of your forums...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
    As soon as I saw mods editing developer posts for content, I knew the forums would be a waste of space. If you don't even allow the devs to make uncensored posts about the game your forums are for, then what is the point of your forums...
    Wait...
    WUT?

I'm going to investigate this. How did they edit it for "content"? As in censoring mature language, or shortening the length of developer posts?

One of the more recent posts was shortened down. I was keeping a close eye on the thread to see if there was any clarification to the closed beta and if there would be any way for normal people to come in and test. This particular post showed up and I remember it being a few lines longer than it is now. The next day, it was edited down, Jenn had a post linking to the Reddit Q&A and edited Martin's post shortly after. At first I thought it was just a clarification of an answer they had given, but it wasn't anything close to what they had said, unless it was taken from another Q&A.

I'm sure there might have been a simpler reason for the edit, but whatever it was, I either missed it or nothing was given. If someone can find something about it, it'd make me feel at least slightly better about the whole thing. But right now I'm left with the bad impression of dev posts getting edited on those forums, which could possibly confuse people if the edit goes bad and information gets twisted. I'd rather have developers posting in their own words and not someone else's. Even if they thought it made the post more clear, I don't feel it's their job when it comes to anyone posting, especially a developer.

Here's the post I was talking about.

Edit: Just to add, I could just be horribly confused by the whole situation, but a mod editing a developer's post for whatever reason seemed off the wall to me.
    Last edited by Saggypoo; 2011-12-26 at 06:31 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Yeah, I've been talking with KQ, who's a really cool mod, but so far it's just him telling me "we have to do what we have to do", which I understand, but there's gotta be a limit. At the moment, it's all just them killing discussions based on their own view rather than the banner of "rules" they wave around. Pretty much all of my points made to him are devalued by the fact that I called mods out on their forums via a thread rather than a PM. He's stressing to me that I should contact mods, and that's the reason why they have contact links in all of their sigs. What use is that though when you get blown off or criminalized when you send them a concern? This is especially true when the concern involves the mod you're PMing. I wish they were more like the mods on this board. Not that I'm kissing ass, I'm just pointing out a good example (save you, eclipse! I'll get you next time! *shake fist*).
    The ones on the top send you down to talk to those people, and they probably won't change until someone on the top gives them a warning. Yeh, that's not going to work. They can just disregard your complaints and nothing will happen....

Quote Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
    I'm sure there might have been a simpler reason for the edit, but whatever it was, I either missed it or nothing was given. If someone can find something about it, it'd make me feel at least slightly better about the whole thing. But right now I'm left with the bad impression of dev posts getting edited on those forums, which could possibly confuse people if the edit goes bad and information gets twisted. I'd rather have developers posting in their own words and not someone else's. Even if they thought it made the post more clear, I don't feel it's their job when it comes to anyone posting, especially a developer.

Here's the post I was talking about.

Edit: Just to add, I could just be horribly confused by the whole situation, but a mod editing a developer's post for whatever reason seemed off the wall to me.
    I also hope there's a sane explanation for that... I can understand why it puzzles you, kinda puzzles me now too. The reason for the edit says: "." so that's meaningly unhelpful.

That post was edited to remove a reply from Martin to a member that had nothing of any value to add to the conversation. The original post was removed and thus the response was removed as well. The moderating staff at Guru does not feel as though they are special snowflakes...we do however feel as though YOU, the user, isn't a special snowflake either. If your content is edited/deleted/removed it's because you made a brainless, idiotic, or otherwise chin-dribbling, doorknob humping post that offered nothing in the manner of furthering discussion or adding anything of any meaning to the site.

also..any member of GuildWars2Guru.com is free to delete their account at any time. I promise you we won't be heartbroken, we won't take it personally, and we won't start offing the neighbors cats because you chose to leave.
    Last edited by al capowned; 2011-12-26 at 10:05 PM.

http://www.gw2sverige.se for a great Swedish community/forum with awesome people. I'm moderator there, and I'm almost sad I haven't been able to use the banhammer yet, people there are just so nice.

Decided to delete post because nothing good will come of it
    Last edited by zito; 2011-12-26 at 10:04 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    For those that don't know, al capowned is a moderator at GW2Guru, and as you can tell by his post, he's a great poster-child for all that is rotten with that forum.

Quote Originally Posted by al capowned View Post
    That post was edited to remove a reply from Martin to a member that had nothing of any value to add to the conversation. The original post was removed and thus the response was removed as well. The moderating staff at Guru does not feel as though they are special snowflakes...we do however feel as though YOU, the user, isn't a special snowflake either. If your content is edited/deleted/removed it's because you made a brainless, idiotic, or otherwise chin-dribbling, doorknob humping post that offered nothing in the manner of furthering discussion or adding anything of any meaning to the site.

also..any member of GuildWars2Guru.com is free to delete their account at any time. I promise you we won't be heartbroken, we won't take it personally, and we won't start offing the neighbors cats because you chose to leave.

Deleted
    For those that don't know, al capowned is a moderator at GW2Guru, and as you can tell by his post, he's a great poster-child for all that is rotten with that forum.
    Him, and Unlucky Slayer. They are both, just.. idiots..

Deleted
    Yup, pretty much felt that wind blow. Wouw, now I'm feeling even more sad that's supposed to be one of the "grand" unofficial forums. Inhabitated by brute moderators like that(though there are probably good ones as well of course).

This isn't a, "Talk shit about fansites" thread guys. Tone it down.

That's my problem with that forum being the 'go to' place right now for close involvement with the game. Anyone new to the GW games will be pointed to those forums and be met with a group of people that may not be as open and receptive as the community could be as a whole. It's nice the developers post there, but the impression someone could get from the forums could affect how they approach the game or even their decision to buy/play Guild Wars 2. I'm sure I'll get a reply of 'we don't want you/we don't need you', but that is the last thing I'd want out of the game community and would like to see more places open to discussion and open to their fellow players as a whole.

And no, none of us are special snowflakes and no one has been asking for special treatment. Someone new to reading the GW2guru forums could stumble on a post like that, see how it's edited without a reason given, wonder why developers of the game aren't even allowed to openly discuss things, and get confused as to why the edit was made in the first place. The reason given so far is a valid one, and I wouldn't expect lingering replies to be left when stupid posts are deleted. Giving that reason at the time of edit would probably clear up any confusion when it was made, so no one assumes anything about why it was made in the first place. But when the mods feel the need to defend their actions in a way as to antagonize the rest of the posters in a community that is asking for nothing more than a little more freedom, then we're left to wonder what good they can do for the community as a whole.

And yes, al capowned's last two sentences are 'we don't need you'. In my opinion, not a very good approach to attach to a game that's not even out and could possibly leave a bad taste in someone's mouth when it is release. Why play a game if they see a community that will act like that.

Edit: Sorry edgecrusherO0, everyone posted while I was replying. Tell me to stop talking if we're going in the wrong direction with this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    Yup, pretty much felt that wind blow. Wouw, now I'm feeling even more sad that's supposed to be one of the "grand" unofficial forums. Inhabitated by brute moderators like that(though there are probably good ones as well of course).
    I'm pretty new to that forum, so i'm not that familiar with it, however, I'm sure there are good moderators there too, who doesn't stand out too much, but simply do their work.

al_capowned, and Unlucky Slayer, though, it feels like they don't go after any rule, they simply remove, edit, ban, whoever the feel like, that has done ''something wrong'' in their opinion, and not after forum rules.

I haven't been banned, or done anything stupid, yet. I've got a warning though, it was pretty much like this-

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...-t8513p78.html

Unlucky Slayer, basically said that you shouldn't post anything if you don't post pictures in that thread, and people don't contribute to it, I then wrote a post in that thread that he didn't contribute to the thread either.

He then removed my post and sent me a warning-

You have received an infraction at Guild Wars 2 Guru Forums.

Reason: Discussing Moderator Actions
    -------
    You know, if you really are fed up with this place, the door is over there. We're not forcing you to stay. Also we do not discuss moderator actions, if you have a problem bring it to us in PM.
    -------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.
    So yeah, sometimes it feels like they got a screw loose.
    Last edited by mmoc991e1d736f; 2011-12-26 at 10:33 PM.

Just to clear a few things up..

I have no power or authority at Guru. I moderate the Tech forum...that is all. I simply posted to inform everyone bashing the site that moderating a forum of thousands of members is a daunting task. Many of the moderators, almost all of them, have full time jobs, families, grammie nana with breast cancer and Alzheimers, and yet continue to provide, free of charge to you the forum goer, a service that requires countless hours. All of this is done to help keep the forum readable and not contrite with asinine crap nobody wants to read anyway. We are tasked with the objective to keep the forum clean and clear of misinformation. And I hope even one of you can understand that posting threads riddled with conjecture will steer people in the wrong direction. Unfortunately we live in an internet driven world, where almost anyone will believe whatever they read on google or wikipedia...or GuildWars2Guru. We make an attempt to filter this kind of content out.

I never said "We don't need you" as saggypoo quoted. I simply said that if you don't like it you can leave...just as you can walk out of a seafood restaurant if you don't like shellfish. We provide to you a service, a free one at that...if you don't like it find a new service.
    Last edited by al capowned; 2011-12-26 at 10:45 PM.

Deleted
    All of this is done to help keep the forum readable and not contrite with asinine crap nobody wants to read anyway.
    I've seen threads with good starting discussion, and people were friendly and asked questions, suddenly, it either get's locked, with a link to a thread which is over 10 months old, and that no one have posted anything in for over 7 months. Or it just gets deleted. Just because you see it as ''crap nobody wants to read''

I never said "We don't need you" as saggypoo quoted. I simply said that if you don't like it you can leave...just as you can walk out of a seafood restaurant if you don't like shellfish. We provide to you a service, a free one at that...if you don't like it find a new service.
    Sure, we can leave, but if everyone leaves that resturant they won't have enough income anymore, they can either close the resturant down, or improve themself, and the resturant.

Which I mean- You mods can improve yourselves a lot, but it doesn't seem like you want to, and give warnings to people if they question the moderators and whatnot, just because it's a 'free' service.
    Last edited by mmoc991e1d736f; 2011-12-26 at 11:32 PM.

Closing this because apparently people want to continue to act like children.