Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    players expecting to make money off of it is indeed foolish, however blizzard will be able to earn a lot of money from it, that or they'll change it to monthly subscription

They only earn "a lot" of money from it if players are earning "a hell of a lot" of money from it. While it is true that players are merely trading hands with their money and Blizzard is raking it in for free, they also have server upkeep on a game without a sub, as well as dev costs from the past and future to account for.

you gotta understand, its every player in the world earning money from the ah VS blizzard, players won't be able to make jack all off it but when theres 10 million people not making jack all add up together ( cos it goes to blizzard, a portion of it ) blizzard will ultimately make a lot either way

You're still assuming everyone is going to use that, that everyone is willing to pay out of their pocket for items.

I realize that a lot of people already do this on WoW, but there is no guarantee, especially when the hardcore community is going to be big already, and there is no RMAH for that side of the game. We also don't know how big D3 will actually be, I don't expect more than a million players at most. Once everyone decides gold is free, so why not use that instead, the RMAH might not make them any *profit* at all, considering the upkeep it has to sustain. In general, the hopes are that the revenue it generates can keep up with server and dev costs, so that we can get an updated game and more content in the future; not much more than that.

what you're saying is correct, no one knows if its gonna work or not cause it lies in the FUTURE, i wont argue you on it, but think of diablo like LoL, and if you've played it, they make majority of their money via people spending RP on SKINS and not on champions, now why would they do that? 2 possible reason, 1. cos the skin looks nice, 2. they wanna support the game, and even if its hard to believe, majority of the people buy rp for the latter reason, i can't promise this will go the same with diablo considering blizzard is a fking hated company ( honestly ) but there will be people who'll have that mindset on top of ' well why not support the game while making my gaming experience easier/moar fun ' agree?

I'm sure the RMAH will generate some sort of money, I just don't think it'll be mind blowing. Losing Korea could be a lot worse, honestly, having sat down and red the OP's linked wall of text (seriously) most of what he says makes perfect sense. If D3 really is planned on being a global release, waiting on Korea makes sense.

I don't really have an opinion, It should've been released over a year ago, the pushback to Q4 2011 was stupid to begin with, and now it could be any time in the next year for all we know, it's hard to keep track and care anymore. I just think that saying they would release if it if it was done just for the RMAH money just doesn't add up to me, simply because they would be losing a lot for what may not be much gain at all.

i only read portion of the post, any idea what the estimated time for release will be now? i understand that they said they can't be CERTAIN it'll be released by q1, but theres still hope right? or is it june - july fo sho ;(

According to Blizzard - They will announce it when they think it's ready
    According to this guy - Whenever Korea gives in and allows the RMAH

definitely when korea gives in then, if they only worked on this game for a year or 2 its understandable there is room for improvement or fix, but they announced it way back oh well guess i'll concentrate in my studies for another trimester lul

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    You're still assuming everyone is going to use that, that everyone is willing to pay out of their pocket for items.

I realize that a lot of people already do this on WoW, but there is no guarantee, especially when the hardcore community is going to be big already, and there is no RMAH for that side of the game. We also don't know how big D3 will actually be, I don't expect more than a million players at most. Once everyone decides gold is free, so why not use that instead, the RMAH might not make them any *profit* at all, considering the upkeep it has to sustain. In general, the hopes are that the revenue it generates can keep up with server and dev costs, so that we can get an updated game and more content in the future; not much more than that.
    Its not a matter of everyone willing to pay out of their pocket. It's a matter of a very active market with only a few player injecting money into it.

A lot of players will use the RMAH to sell to make bucks and then use these to buy their own items:
    - Said player paid 0$
    - Blizzard made Fee X times an item has been bought or sold by that very same player.

Also what you don't expect more than one million player on D3 ? What ? Are you crazy ? At most ? lol... 5 million would be a better guess.

Dev cost and server will be paid by WoW subs and the price of D3 itself. Then later extension etc. D3 server upkeep and dev costs are not bigger than SC2 that they need the RMAH. The rmah is profit compared to their other "solo" (non-mmo) games.
    How much yes is unknown but I think you really underestimate it. And well... Korea's RMAH may be one of the biggest market even though it's a small country. There are a lot of Free2P / P2Win mmos in asia.

p2win...lol, indeed (maplestory)

15+ Year Old Account
    I think you're seriously underestimating the "I like to throw money at anything that looks shiny" crowd.

Financial responsibility is uh... a new term for a large percent of the population.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I will simply wait and see.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    I think you're seriously underestimating the "I like to throw money at anything that looks shiny" crowd.

Financial responsibility is uh... a new term for a large percent of the population.
    This. Current Blizzstore = Money for different textures (mounts have all same speed) and it sells very well. D3 Ah will net them a nice income

half of the current korean mmos function on a p2p system of buying gear for real money from other players or from the company. how is d3 any real difference other then you cant buy the items from blizzard it has to be generated ingame
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron
    Invader Zim: GIR the space/time object replacement device is ready

Quote Originally Posted by zalmatra View Post
    half of the current korean mmos function on a p2p system of buying gear for real money from other players or from the company. how is d3 any real difference other then you cant buy the items from blizzard it has to be generated ingame
    Gambling is forbidden in Korea.

If you buy items in an mmo sell by the developer they probably have a fixed price and no luck is involved.
    When you remove this fixed price and add random drop you have something a little bit like gambling and that is what is being discussed by the RGB. This definetly a grey area though so no need to debate here.

Deleted
    I think the real gamble is drops from killing a monster vs time invested. You pay with your time and get a chance to get something.

correct me if im wrong and i very well could be

but dosent linage have rare drops like diablo and a open cash marketplace in korea? or was it third party like d2?
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron
    Invader Zim: GIR the space/time object replacement device is ready

Read the whole post - sure, the RMAH could be the reason. A decent chance of that being the case. But I don't see what point deciding this one way or the other really serves. If you want to make yourself angry, then pick whatever reason for the delay upsets you the most. I'm a big Diablo fan and am looking forward to the release. But I'm not about to fret about the whys of it, since it doesn't affect the when at all.

well lol, i manage to borrow a bnet account for 5k gold in wow LOL just played the beta and i must say i'm ... disappointed, i'll definitely buy it but i was deefinitely expecting alot more...there is a ton of bug ( screen clutter is a kill) and the lag freeze dc when you use disintegrate as a wizard... =/