Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tomehere View Post
    i thought x86 was a 32bit, and there was another number for 64 bit. or its just x64
    You are right. They are just pointing out that if this version carries "x86" then there is 64-bit version in the works, otherwise it would not be necessary to specifically designate that this is 32-bit version.

I am wondering about that "game optimization" - what exactly Launcher is gonna do? Compress files? Delete unnecessary ones (patch .MPQs which are useless after actual pacthing is done?) or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    Hai, ok reading these comments is bad for one's health, so I don't know why I keep doing it. I just wanted to say, meh at another "skinjob" mount, stop recycling if you make that much money blizz how is this even possible, I honestly don't understand where blizzard's great reputation comes from. Where is all this freaking money going to? There are so many bugs still in game (worgen males, wtf!) and so much recycling I was really hoping swtor would be better to replace this aging game but I tried beta and wept for that game too. And whoever was talking about the 2 new dragon models in cata, I don't know which you mean, but at least one of those, maybe both: just a reskin of the same model with some more bells and whistles, which is beyond sad for a company that makes so much money. I remember getting my vortex pinnacle drake and dying a bit inside realizing how it moved was oddly familiar lol... What I wanna know is, what does this 64bit client mean? Besides "good for the future" I haven't found any indication that this will be a performance increase for 64bit systems, some even say it could be worse lol. As wow is supposedly already optimized for multicores and larger amounts of ram memory.
    go play singleplayer games then, this is not fucking recycle content it's new skin, maybe u not notice but with this things game have a lot of customization...

GANK_WAIT_ALERT = "You have been ganking for %s. Excessive ganking can cause inconvenience in others Daily life."

my guess for the drake and the pet is that they'll be tied in with the upcoming Lunar Festival (which might see a revamp). since it's a time in which "the people of Azeroth celebrate their triumph of many thousands of years ago, when an alliance of good races (the night elves, tauren, furbolgs, and earthen) defeated a terrible evil called the Burning Legion" (from wowpedia), it would sorta fit. only hole in this theory is that the LF is happening pretty soon, so this little patch might not go live in time.
    Last edited by Thalkran; 2012-01-04 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zstr View Post
    go play singleplayer games then, this is not fucking recycle content it's new skin, maybe u not notice but with this things game have a lot of customization...
    I think you need to look up the definition for "new". Throwing a gradient map filter on top of a texture is not new, it's an edit of existing content.
    I'm in the "I don't have an obnoxiously large signature" club.

Oh, thank God for LnL change. I hate when that shit procs when you are spamming AS.

lol... really dude? You're happy about another reskin, how great for you and your standards.
    it's an edit of existing content.
    aka recycling

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Star Wars is out and Blizzard puts this in.They're like the building sailing ships in the age of cruise missiles and aircraft carriers.
    What? I'm sorry WHAT?!

What part of your undeveloped brain allows you to compare bug fixes with the launch of another game! This whole SW:ToR vs WoW is getting so sick & tiring, and the arguments are getting more stupid by the day!

"HerpDerp! WoW is releasing a new mount to try and fight against SW:ToR, oh and the bug fixes too! What a lame company! WoW is dead" ...

Deleted
    I cross my fingers for that the mount is available somewhere in-game and not from the damn tcg

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm.. The demonic items have to come from the MOP event. Doubt there will be another Burning Crusade TCG set either.

10+ Year Old Account
    omg, just another ugly mount for stupid little blizzard kiddies ... why do the guys of mmo-champion not sell cat-addon, gold or mounts - because they get enough money from blizz to hype mists of pandaria

Deleted
    This item is not from TCG, there is higher chance this is gonna be one of the mounts that will drop in event of mist of pandaria, or maybe a new event launched from world boss or something like lunar festival from that boss in moonglade (forgot name )

Quote Originally Posted by Marcis View Post
    You are right. They are just pointing out that if this version carries "x86" then there is 64-bit version in the works, otherwise it would not be necessary to specifically designate that this is 32-bit version.

I am wondering about that "game optimization" - what exactly Launcher is gonna do? Compress files? Delete unnecessary ones (patch .MPQs which are useless after actual pacthing is done?) or something else?
    I made this picture yesterday, to explain.

Basically, the tons of patch data that has been gathered up since 4.0 will be added into the base MPQs, saving some space and speed. I imagine this happening every few major patches.
    Last edited by Marlamin; 2012-01-04 at 12:48 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

New Mount and Companion

To me these seems like logical drops from a Lunar Festival Daily to kill Omen. Satchel drops like Big Love Rocket and the Toxic Wastling.

We are getting BoP Strider's this time in the lunar festival we know with the currancy, and so is valentines day, makes sence that they do something with Omen and the drops seem to tie in with the lore.

The demigod Omen was a being of great strength and knowledge. Blessed by Elune, Omen wandered primordial Kalimdor, guiding hunters and gatherers and offering luck and advice to all he met. When the Burning Legion launched their attack, Omen allied with Azeroth's defenders. Omen fought bravely, but after many battles, his wounds from demonic forces plunged him into a deep, dreaming sleep...where fel-inspired nightmares slowly consumed him. When he finally awoke, centuries later, he had fallen to madness - WoWWiki
    At the moment he is the only Seasonal Boss that does not actaully do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    I made this picture yesterday, to explain. Basically, the tons of patch data that has been gathered up since 4.0 will be added into the base MPQs, saving some space and speed. I imagine this happening every few major patches.
    To explain a little more:

The MPQ is Blizzard's data storage file - everything from art to spells. Before Cataclysm, each patch would over-write the original MPQ data, leaving just "base" files.

Since Cataclysm patches have become separate MPQ files, each containing a set of changes since the previous patch. So each time the game needs to load data, it not only has to check the base file, but read through all the patches in sequence, to check for changes. The Cataclysm-style allowed data to be streamed, and small fixes to be distributed easily, but does have the disadvantage that after a while (especially on PTRs), there are tens of patches to be checked, which presumably slows down load times a little.

What the optimization appears to do is combine previous patch MPQs into base MPQs.

Now, I presume that streaming still works like before: The optimization is simply bringing the client's files in line with the latest base file - the base file that one would get streamed if one needed it. That would explain why the optimization cannot be skipped - because otherwise there would not be a source of streamed data, if your client needed it. It also suggests that optimization will not be a common process - likely only around the time of major patches. And this reduction of patch files into base files was something that the game client has done before during major patches - it just didn't announce it as a special process.

Seeing that mount just infuriates me - it's yet ANOTHER recycled skin. Hire another artist, and start creating new and unique models OR provide an exsisiting flying creature (one that has never been used before) as a mount (e.g. the flying spiders from Northrend).It's almost insulting how they keep through these re-treads at us. They are taking "code reusabiliting" to a unsatisfactory extreme.

New Mount: ok, they used an old model, they could have reused the proto drake model. This generic model is used everywhere - from an instance drop, reputation item, achievement, rare raid etc. Personally i really dislike this drake model. As i said: A proto or even netherwing drake remodel would be so much more amazing...Wow Optimizer sounds really good - my wow folder size get a bit out of hand...x64 client *shrug* lets see if that gives any speed increase or just new problems/bugs in game.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How strange... why is a Fel drake and Eye of the Legion on there? Updates to old items? Or... is there something going on?

What would the advantages be of running WoW with a 64 bit client?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevecjr View Post
    What would the advantages be of running WoW with a 64 bit client?
    The game would use all your machines resources instead of only using a limited amount.

You would get better performance on higher rigs which uses several core CPU