Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Steelseries Diablo 3 Mouse not working!

So I just got The Steelseries Daiblo 3 Gaming mouse and I'm having a very odd issue with it. It worked fine upon plug in play and I was able to download the steelseries engine and update it just fine.

Worked absolutely fine while playing WoW for the first hour or so, then I happened to click the CPI button (aka the non programmable triangle button above the scroll wheel) Pressed once tells the mouse to change the sensitivity from 1600 to 2600 (or something close to that anyway) So yeah, I pressed it twice, worked fine. Pressed a third time? Yeah the damn mouse just ate it and the red LEDs just blacked out, then the small circle LED next to the CPI button started to blink. Restarts, unplugs, nothing will get it out of this state of perpetual "sleep" Its as if the mouse is dead, yet its still drawing power.

The Steelseries engine is not even showing it as a registered device. There might be some button combo associated with it to return it to normal, but none of the guides that came with it shed any light on this. So if anyone else knows or was having the same issue please let me know how to fix it, if there is a fix. Anyway Thanks for reading, its going to take steelseries 2-3 business days to answer my question, figure it was worth an ask while I wait.

Also, as a fun side note, this is my second Diablo 3 mouse in 1 week. As the first one did the same exact thing and I panicked thinking it shorted out or broke, so I did a return with amazon and hoping the new one would work, and funny thing is, is that it did work... But after pressing the CPI button too many times it went dead like the last one. Also "pressing the CPI button too many times" was 3.

Regards, A pissed off consumer.

I have no idea but intuition tells me if I had this problem I would "hold" the button. If nothing happens within 5-10 seconds I'd hold it down for 30 seconds just to be sure. Usually plug and play peripherals are kinda standard and have easy fixes. If this is a legit problem and needs like a software fix of some kind does steel series have a technical forum? And good luck with your problem.

Janamb, My inintial thought was the same, Holding the button for an extended period of time to see if the mouse had some sort of Sleep feature, To no avail or I did not hold it for the right amount of time. I tried 5 seconds, then 10 then 30 all while counting out each mississippi.

Now its funny you should mention this because the model of the mouse that the Diablo 3 Mouse is designed after called the Sensi has a small LED screen on the bottom that you control via holding the CPI or triangle button for extended periods of time. As far as their tech support its just a fourm telling you what the best mouse pad is for your mouse, or how badass their products are...

Ive had a lot of time to sit and stew over this so when the poor sap who opens my ticket with them gets me I wont be satisfyed untill This mouse is working or its lodged in someones small intestin... heh

I feel for your situation, I was interested in that mouse (looks badass, and functionality) But I could totally see myself accidentally clicking that button too many times as well. I'm looking forward to how this pans out for you.

I will glady give you feedback when I get it, Beyond looking badass the mouse fits like a dream, Im a left handed mouser, so Its really hard to find anything that fits the palm grip im used too. Im currently using a razor but it lacks extra buttons, so I was going for a new one with extra buttons for easy macros in wow.

So yeah if it is something stupid im doing I will gladly let you know and anyone else reading on whos curious about the mouse. Regardless if its broken or not I can return it to amazon since their return policy is so amazing. So if steelseries tells me Too bad kid we have your money we dont care, Im going to be sure to spread the word about how bad there customer care/tech support is.

Deleted
    I can't help you with your problem but I do have a question if you don't mind - do you play using your left hand then? My husband is using the left handed Razor Deathadder as he plays with his left hand, just wondering if you play with your left hand if it actually feels comfortable? He finds the WoW one pretty uncomfortable. The Steelseries D3 looks like a similar shape to the Deathadder, but has more buttons

I absolutely do mouse with my left hand, I move my character with the arrows keys like a normal person would with WASD. All my macros are Bound into the numpad and I hit them with my very dexterous right pinky. Also the 6 keys above the arrows keys, All macroed to class abilities, But sadly I need a mouse for a few more, Like scroll press down for vent/mumble talk, and a key on the mouse for auto run.

Its from my personal left handed experience I can tell you ambidextrous mice are by far best as far as feeling, no cramping like you would get with a curved right mouse using it in the left hand.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loith View Post
    Its from my personal left handed experience I can tell you ambidextrous mice are by far best as far as feeling, no cramping like you would get with a curved right mouse using it in the left hand.
    I second this. I too am left handed and use my left hand for my mouse. I've been using a Roccat Kova for nearly two years now. Still works brand new out the box and is very comfortable. I get annoyed sometimes that there are no actual left handed version of the super cool mice some right handed people get. ):

All the lefty love coming out of the wood work I Guess im not alone!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I dont buy gimmick products.

I just wanted to post an update to this whole debacle... I waited almost 2 weeks for the full response from Steelseries support (a bunch of lazy bastards if you ask me) I was able to reactivate the mouse using some admin rights and uninstalling of the program back and forth as per instructions by my support agent. I was then happy to use the comfortable mouse!

Log into wow and start trying to use some of the programmable buttons, this mouse has 7 all together. I went to macro some of the side buttons to my auto run and other useful things I was lacking like I did with mice of the past... then it happened... I noticed the keys 3-7 were mapped to my keyboard 1-5 functions. When I set them to anything else, the 1-5 keys would unbind. I thought this was a minor flaw or something I was over looking within the steelseries engine software.

Got frustrated after searching hours for the info I needed so I can just program a few extra mouse buttons... Then I emailed support again, since I had an open ticket I would get an answer quicker right? Wrong... 1 week I had to wait for them to tell me that the mouse itself is designed for Diablo 3 and because of that, you cannot program buttons 3-7 in any game beyond diablo 3 "Due to the macro drag and drop nature of the mouse" so I basically asked the guy if I just paid 80 bucks for a 2 button mouse and he said, If I wanted added functionality in wow I should just buy the steelseries wow mouse!

Are you F-in kidding me? Your tech support response was eat it, buy the wow mouse if you don’t like it... This is 100% unacceptable, there should be a damn warning within the review of the mouse letting people know its utterly useless when playing other games. What the hell good is a mouse's extra 5 buttons if they mimic keys 1-5 of the keyboard? that’s so useless it hurts my brain just thinking about it...

Anyway, I just wanted to update this thread, let everyone know that Steelseries is full of crap, don’t buy from them... They could care less about you, don’t give a crap about them! I’m going with a Razer now, when It gets here I will most likely update just to put my mind at ease. Thanks for reading.

Deleted
    That's pretty terrible. So the final outcome after two questionable experiences with the mouse's software/hardware failing is Steelseries justifying the lack of button functionality in other games because it's called a Diablo mouse?

I don't know what's worse, the mouse not working properly or being designed solely for one game and not for anything else.

Deleted
    You could also learn to use you're right hand for the mouse instead. I used to be a lefty , but I never liked the positioning for hotkeys . So
    I went "to hell with this I am going to use my right hand from now on". So I bought a razer naga , like a year and half ago . Still works perfectly .
    It took me about a month to be able to use it comfortably (trying to mirror the left and right clicks sure is wierd xD) .

Oh and steelseries is only good for mousepads and solid builds , however the software department is poor . I had used 3 Xai's wich is essentialy they diablo mouse and it had tons of software issues and bugs .

Steel Series sadly has an increasingly bad rep. A friend of mine bought 3 Steel series, of which all three broke down within a year, one had to be traded because it didn't work initially and two had and still have* ghosting and double clicks, regardless of software settings.

I'm personally using the G5. I think the mouse is about 4-5? years old now and it's still working asif it were new. I'm usually not into the hype on a more fancy mouse/keyboard, but I'd recommend that mouse to anyone without blinking. And no, you don't get 7 buttons. (although the middle mouse button has three, which totals 6)

* assumption, since he rang me a few weeks ago, asking me to tell me what mouse I'm using, because he's going to quit with Steelseries due to the issues.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-01-09 at 10:37 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Steel Series sadly has an increasingly bad rep. A friend of mine bought 3 Steel series, of which all three broke down within a year, one had to be traded because it didn't work initially and two had and still have ghosting and double clicks, regardless of software settings.

I'm personally using the G5. I think the mouse is about 4-5? years old now and it's still working asif it were new. I'm usually not into the hype on a more fancy mouse/keyboard, but I'd recommend that mouse to anyone without blinking. And no, you don't get 7 buttons. (although the middle mouse button has three, which totals 6)
    The G5... I'm also using that mouse for about the same period of time. The fabric around the cable has frayed from being rubbed on the edge of my desk, my mouse buttons are worn as anything and it certainly doesn't have that metallic shine all over any more, but it still works flawlessly. I don't think I'll upgrade it until it dies... and that could take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    The G5... I'm also using that mouse for about the same period of time. The fabric around the cable has frayed from being rubbed on the edge of my desk, my mouse buttons are worn as anything and it certainly doesn't have that metallic shine all over any more, but it still works flawlessly. I don't think I'll upgrade it until it dies... and that could take a while.
    It's pure craftsmanship

Edit: Mine isn't frayed, due to the length I usually have placed on my desk, allowing me to make any movement without the edge of the desk interfering. It is, indeed, no longer as shiney, but I don't want my mouse to shine, I want it to function, as do you, I imagine. I've never had a mouse survive 5 years without any issue before, but the G5 seems to be able to make another few laps without replacement tires.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-01-09 at 10:46 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    It's pure craftsmanship
    At any rate, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't switch from Logitech after using the G5. Their stuff just seems to work great and last ages. Got the G15, G5 and had logitech speakers/headset for the last load of years. Never had any issues I didn't cause myself

Im just glad I was smart enough to buy from amazon, I was able to return the first and refund the second, and the best part is they come to my house, pick up the package with zero cost to me! Wonderful company if you ask me.

As for my replacement? http://store.razerzone.com/store/raz...ctID.207541300
    Also with the help of amazon its 10 bucks cheaper making it the same exact price as the Diablo 3 mouse I was returning.

I currently use the Razer abyssus as my back up mouse. Amazing mouse! But it lacks extra buttons, something the Lachesis improves upon! Its like the Abyssus's big brother, and if its anything like the abyssus im going to love it. Just a word of advice to anyone looking at steelseries, buy razer... It will cost you a few bucks more (possibly nothing if you shop around!) and you are getting a much better quality, maybe not the best in the market, but much better then steelseries.

*edit* forgot to add, that when asking for a refund, Amazon asked as to why I was returning it. I simply said it was not working as intended. They Were perfectly okay with that answer, No questions asked beyond that! Love amazon!
    Last edited by Loith; 2012-01-09 at 11:00 AM.

Never tested it myself, but I'd place bets that razer won't outlive a logitech :P Then again, I wouldn't mind trying a Razer myself, one day. Most likely to be a keyboard then though, since I'm using a 5 bucks black keyboard now, that often seems to be about to die.

Deleted
    Looks like another big disappointment from Steelseries.

I got Steelseries WoW mouse from my wife and it broke after 2 weeks. I thought I was very unlucky so I emailed their support and they replaced my mouse for new one and guess what... it broke after two weeks... so I emailed their support again and asked or my money back and they told me they cannot do it because I did not buy the mouse in their shop. I though fair enough and asked them to replace the mouse for something different. I chose their Headset 5Hv2 with USB soundcard and I have to say that was good choice - works great with PC, PS3 voice chat, etc.

So, my advice - never buy a mouse from Steelseries - I read a few reviews after my problems and I found I was not the only one and it looks like WoW mouse is not the only one which fails.

Went back to my G5 and I have to say Logitech knows how to do their job - and 9 buttons are enough after all.