Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    i was under the impression that you could take part in WvWvW after a server transfer you just would not get any of the benefits gained during WvWvW for a "still to be determined" time period.

1) depends on if your friends want to leave and the main point of server transfer is so you can play with friends. 2) switching servers to go the the dominant or winning server does not actually help you as you do not gain any of the buffs for a still to be determined time period. i think it will be enough of a deterrent so people mainly switch to play with friends, different time zone, etc and not to reap the benefits of WvWvW gains. besides since you are matched up with relatively equal servers after the first 2 weeks or so, the server you transferred to today that is winning maybe get roflstomped in the next match-up.

just for clarification the buffs are server wide, for both PvE and WvWvW.
    If indeed it is confirmed that the "penalty," so to speak, of transferring servers is that you don't get the buffs from the WvWvW matches for a certain length of time, then it resolves my concern. This is just not something I had heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    i was under the impression that you could take part in WvWvW after a server transfer you just would not get any of the benefits gained during WvWvW for a "still to be determined" time period.

1) depends on if your friends want to leave and the main point of server transfer is so you can play with friends. 2) switching servers to go the the dominant or winning server does not actually help you as you do not gain any of the buffs for a still to be determined time period. i think it will be enough of a deterrent so people mainly switch to play with friends, different time zone, etc and not to reap the benefits of WvWvW gains. besides since you are matched up with relatively equal servers after the first 2 weeks or so, the server you transferred to today that is winning maybe get roflstomped in the next match-up.

just for clarification the buffs are server wide, for both PvE and WvWvW.
    Do we have any clarification on which it is though? No benefits for X amount of time or can't take part for X amount of time?

Was looking for more info and randomly clicked on this thread. I think you just sold the game for me hehe

Well done! Great info!

Quote Originally Posted by jakeoff13 View Post
    Was looking for more info and randomly clicked on this thread. I think you just sold the game for me hehe

Well done! Great info!
    Thanks, that was indeed the intention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow... just wow

I thought I read alot but don't think I got through a third, I'm getting the game!

Quite sad to see them boasting about free-to-play as if it were some kind of virtue, when in fact it's the opposite.

This MMO can't really be taken seriously given their previous actions on microtransactions in GW1. They can say all they want about how all the microtransactions they offer will be superficial. I guess they consider the spell and PvP item packs which were microtransactions in GW1 as superficial too, under the reasoning that these spells and PvP items can be obtained in the game after expending some time. Clearly on microtransactions, their actions speak louder than words.

I cannot take seriously the "competitive PvP" they claim to offer, when this competition is slanted and made unfair by microtransaction buyers having an easier time at acquiring spells and PvP items, like in GW1, and quite likely in GW2 at some point too. Their actions on microtransactions such as these nullifies and makes pointless all the hard work, innovative design, and breathtaking visual style they have put into the game. No body takes an unfair sport seriously, and the same applies here. This is the same reason I quit WoW.

I'd rather they charge $20 a month for this game. Then if they killed the inevitable GW1-style microtransaction model, I would play it.

---------- Post added 2012-01-12 at 09:36 AM ----------

The WvWvW also sounds like an utter disaster unless I'm misunderstanding the system.

The buff that you gain for winning WvWvW, which according to someone above works for PvE, would force all serious raiding guilds to transfer to the winning server, or in the case where there is a delay in getting the buff, transfer to the server that they anticipate will win WvWvW.

People will be consequencelessly jumping around servers in an (possibly ill-fated) attempt to better their chances at serious PvE content.

If this also applied to competitive PvP, this would be even worse.

Then a nontrivial factor determining success in serious and competitive PvE or PvP content would be whether or not your server wins WvWvW, something which is for the most part out of ones control, as the battles contain 2000 players. If you think RNG in WoW arenas is bad, this is worse, and it would apply to PvE too.

After 7 years of WoW, no one, not even Blizzard, has come to realize the simple truth from Vanilla and TBC world PvP: the only well-designed world PvP system is a rewardless one.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2012-01-12 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Quite sad
    Welcome to the forum.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Freq...sked_Questions

Will there be micro-transactions or things to buy which don't come with the box, like character slots?
    Yes, micro-transactions will exist. These will be cosmetic additions which will not affect balance or gameplay

10+ Year Old Account
    Quite sad to see them boasting about free-to-play as if it were some kind of virtue, when in fact it's the opposite.

This MMO can't really be taken seriously given their previous actions on microtransactions in GW1. They can say all they want about how all the microtransactions they offer will be superficial. I guess they consider the spell and PvP item packs which were microtransactions in GW1 as superficial too, under the reasoning that these spells and PvP items can be obtained in the game after expending some time. Clearly on microtransactions, their actions speak louder than words.

I cannot take seriously the "competitive PvP" they claim to offer, when this competition is slanted and made unfair by microtransaction buyers having an easier time at acquiring spells and PvP items, like in GW1, and quite likely in GW2 at some point too. Their actions on microtransactions such as these nullifies and makes pointless all the hard work, innovative design, and breathtaking visual style they have put into the game. No body takes a unfair sport seriously, and the same applies here. This is the same reason I quit WoW.

I'd rather they charge $20 a month for this game. Then if they killed the inevitable GW1-style microtransaction model, I would play it.
    1. In Arenas all characters have the same level gear and stats. (GW2 that is)
    2. In GW1, the PvP items and spells that you need could very easily be obtain through a few matches. Each cost 1000-3000 balthazar faction. (You could also add that, if you wanted to save a bit of money, you could just make a PvE character and go around unlocking the skills you wanted in-game, which will be unlocked for all pvp characters and heroes you've got. It's not really as big of a game breaker as you make it out to be, because it was implemented years after they stopped major development on Guild Wars 1 and serves as a tool to help new comers not be as far behind as the veterans... Sounds like you're nit-picking...)

Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 are completely different game with completely different design and balance philosophies, and once you realize and understand that, you'll probably find that your qualms with the original have no base in the sequel
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Please don't reply to an obvious troll

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Will there be micro-transactions or things to buy which don't come with the box, like character slots?
    Yes, micro-transactions will exist. These will be cosmetic additions which will not affect balance or gameplay
    Keep reading...

Just like in GW1, that disclaimer encompasses buying your way to more quickly getting things that can be obtained in game, like spells and PvP items. Really that encompasses everything from more bag slot to the best piece of gear in the game or the most prestigious titles and achievements. Their actions speak louder than words.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Please don't reply to an obvious troll
    First post begets the benefit of the doubt.

Until I saw their expanded post on WvW...

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 are completely different game with completely different design and balance philosophies, and once you realize and understand that, you'll probably find that your qualms with the original have no base in the sequel
    Your first paragraph is covered by what I wrote in a post that is to be approved by moderators.

As for this point, the unfortunate thing is that I would have to wait until the game is, say, 7 years old before I can make an accurate judgement. As of this moment, all we have is what they said for GW1, what happened in GW1, and what they said for GW2, and I remain unconvinced based on ArenaNet's history.

EDIT - Let me try to edit in my reply to Squirrelbanes:

Keep reading...

Just like in GW1, that disclaimer encompasses buying your way to more quickly getting things that can be obtained in game, like spells and PvP items. Really that encompasses everything from more bag slot to the best piece of gear in the game or the most prestigious titles and achievements. Their actions speak louder than words.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2012-01-12 at 09:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your first paragraph is covered by what I wrote in a post that is to be approved by moderators.

As for this point, the unfortunate thing is that I would have to wait until the game is, say, 7 years old before I can make an accurate judgement. As of this moment, all we have is what they said for GW1, what happened in GW1, and what they said for GW2, and I remain unconvinced based on ArenaNet's history.
    Their history is developing decent Online RPG's and being upfront with their customers.

Believe it or not, GW1 has probably the most balanced PvP of all Hotkey MMO's (or Online RPG's)... Despite your apparent grudge with PvP skill unlock packs...

First post begets the benefit of the doubt.

Until I saw their expanded post on WvW...
    There's 2 ways for this to work out:

1. My understanding of the WvWvW buff is incorrect and it doesn't apply to competitive and serious PvP and PvE content. Then there is no problem.

2. My understanding of the WvWvW buff is correct, then what I said would be true, to suggest otherwise is to be utterly naive about how serious people play the game, not even the most trivial zone buffs apply in raids because WoW's developers have seen first-hand that competitive players will feel obligated to get them.

This feels like 2004, where all the hard earned design lessons from 7 years of WoW have been forgotten or ignored.

---------- Post added 2012-01-12 at 10:04 AM ----------

Their history is developing decent Online RPG's and being upfront with their customers.

Believe it or not, GW1 has probably the most balanced PvP of all Hotkey MMO's (or Online RPG's)... Despite your apparent grudge with PvP skill unlock packs...
    Balance is worth nothing when the game isn't fair. Nobody would take tennis seriously if whoever paid the umpire for money at the start of the match gets a free set. Nobody would treat SC2 as a serious eSport if you could buy upgrades for your units. The analogies are rather extreme, but the same principle applies.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2012-01-12 at 10:08 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree that buffs for winning WvWvW, even if being quite minimal, will lead to a lot of server hopping by many hardcore players.
    But I'm fairly sure that ArenaNet is aware of that and able to implement restrictions to prevent such behaviour.

We should wait for more detailed information about this topic before starting a flamewar about it, imho

10+ Year Old Account

1. My understanding of the WvWvW buff is incorrect and it doesn't apply to competitive and serious PvP and PvE content. Then there is no problem.

2. My understanding of the WvWvW buff is correct, and what I said would be true, to suggest otherwise would to be utterly naive about how serious guilds play WoW, not even the most trivial zone buffs apply in raids because WoW's developers have seen first-hand that competitive players will feel obligated to get it.

This feels like 2004, where all the hard earned design lessons from 7 years of WoW have been forgotten or ignored.
    The benefits only apply to territories within WvWvW areas according to the wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by GW2 Wiki
    World benefits
    Territories and control points within the map will confer benefits to the world that controls them, such as faster energy/health regeneration, increased drop rate or increased experience gain for a time

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't feed the troll

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Don't feed the troll
    Meh, it's late/ early and I'm not tired yet. Besides, I haven't been posting much, or keeping up with these forums, figured I'd refresh my own memory.

2. My understanding of the WvWvW buff is correct, then what I said would be true, to suggest otherwise is to be utterly naive about how serious people play the game, not even the most trivial zone buffs apply in raids because WoW's developers have seen first-hand that competitive players will feel obligated to get them.

---------- Post added 2012-01-12 at 10:04 AM ----------

Balance is worth nothing when the game isn't fair. Nobody would take tennis seriously if whoever paid the umpire for money at the start of the match gets a free set. Nobody would treat SC2 as a serious eSport if you could buy upgrades for your units. The analogies are rather extreme, but the same principle applies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socram View Post
    I have to agree that buffs for winning WvWvW, even if being quite minimal, will lead to a lot of server hopping by many hardcore players.
    But I'm fairly sure that ArenaNet is aware of that and able to implement restrictions to prevent such behaviour.

We should wait for more detailed information about this topic before starting a flamewar about it, imho
    Even if there were some timing restrictions, the problem is not solved, serious players would then hop to the server that is anticipated to win. And even if they get this wrong frequently, the fact that feel it necessary to do it is tacky.

However, what is most striking is the complete naivety of this design choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Socram View Post

Even if there were some timing restrictions, the problem is not solved, serious players would then hop to the server that is anticipated to win. And even if they get this wrong frequently, it is tacky that the game is set up in such a way that they feel it necessary to attempt this.

However, what is most striking is the naivety of this amateur design choice.