Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Guild Wars 2 will co-exist with WoW, not compete with it or kill it

First thing is first I am NOT saying GW2 will not be successful, I am saying it isn't, and can't dethrone WoW but can co-exist with wow as it's own new kind of game.

Why?

First of all the no subscription fee deal means it can't beat WoW's subscriber base, because it has no subscriber base. Which is a great thing for GW2 why?
    It lets people play WoW and GW2 at the same time, since most people only want to pay 1 subscription fee at a time. Unlike swtor, or rift which have the compete with wow to be successful, Gw2 can coexist with WoW and be successful. IT gives it an MMO feel, yet a single player game price.

Completely different game models.
    Don't get me wrong, WoW has a great model and it works, and I enjoy it, but when other games copy the WoW model I just feel like, 'meh I should go play WoW, same thing." GW2 is done completely differently, and doesn't really have hardcore raiding like WoW would, so it provides and off-time for WoW players to do when they are done with raids, or waiting for new raids to come.

So honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people play both Gw2 and WoW at the same time, like they might play LoL and WoW at the same time. Or WoW and Sc2 at the same time.

Guild Wars 2 won't take down WoW, but it can very easily be just as successful as WoW, and be king of it's own genre, while WoW reigns on it's genre. (F2P MMO genre and P2P MMO)

Deleted
    It's still gonna be competing for my time though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man 1 sells pizzas for 10.95
    Man 2 gives away pizzas for free

You think man 2 can't run man 1 out of business?

Except you get what you pay for, a free pizza laden with bugs, diseases, and bad things cannot compete with a pizza filled with things that are just unhealthy for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post

This just means I get two pizzas
    I'm pretty happy with two pizzas.

Not to get into an analogy revision war, but I think it's more like:
    Man 2 gives away tacos for free

Is man 2 going to make people stop eating pizza?

:P

10+ Year Old Account
    Not everyone has time to devote to one MMO. And if a person finds one MMO superior than the other, why would he waste his time on the inferior?

10+ Year Old Account

lol that's the way i'm seeing it... And even if it's Man 2 giving away tacos, why would i pay for Pizza when i'm getting tacos for free?
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    lol that's the way i'm seeing it... And even if it's Man 2 giving away tacos, why would i pay for Pizza when i'm getting tacos for free?
    Because you don't want to eat the same thing every day forever? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo View Post
    Because you don't want to eat the same thing every day forever? :P
    lol idk about you guys but i could totally live off of Tacos...
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Yall arent getting the point, by that logic P2P MMOs shouldn't exist. You are saying GW2 will run WoW out of buisness, not going to happen, they are completely different games.

Think of LoL a COMPLETELY free game, yet does it run WoW out of buisness? No it doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Yall arent getting the point, by that logic P2P MMOs shouldn't exist. You are saying GW2 will run WoW out of buisness, not going to happen, they are completely different games.

Think of LoL a COMPLETELY free game, yet does it run WoW out of buisness? No it doesn't.
    Because LoL is VERY different from WoW, it's not even an MMO. Guild Wars 2 is FAR more comparable to WoW than LoL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post

That's because LoL is selling to a different demographic, GW2 and WoW are selling to the same (or at least a very similar) demographic. That being said, i still don't think WoW will be driven out of business, but it'll likely take a pretty large hit, especially with SWTOR being out now too.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

I think its more like...

Man 2 sells spaghetti and meat balls for 10.95--however, you get unlimited refills.

Sigh, this is sorta lame.

Nothing will ever really kill off Warcraft until Blizzard closes all servers... actually, no. Because there are more free Warcraft servers than I think official ones. The factors that led to Warcraft being what it is today are not repeatable for other MMOs.

All games do compete for player dollars, however. Though even caring about this as a point of topic is kinda unnecessary. MMOs with far less success than Warcraft do not die- they run for years & years. Many even update and maintain a particular player base throughout those years.

Guild Wars 2 like The Old Republic, Rift, Aion, LoTRO or Age of Conan will do the same. Perhaps to greater or lesser success than the aforementioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    Except you get what you pay for, a free pizza laden with bugs, diseases, and bad things cannot compete with a pizza filled with things that are just unhealthy for you.
    judging by how GW1 went i'd say you either just didnt enjoy the game or have no idea what you're talking about

it will compete with wow, as for killing it, that's another story.
    there's a whole lot of existing MMOs running even though they don't have as many subs as wow.
    as such, i doubt wow would ever "die" even if it ends up losing like 90% of its subs to swtor/rift/gw2/whatever-mmo-you-prefer.

the only way wow would actually die is because activision/bliz decides to.

edit : damn you fencers!

man 2 goes out of business with no money to support himself. :/

Now a better analogy would be:

Man 1 sells pepperoni pizzas for $10.
    Man 2 sells cheese pizzas for $5 and gives another one free with each purchase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo View Post
    Not to get into an analogy revision war, but I think it's more like:
    Man 2 gives away tacos for free

Is man 2 going to make people stop eating pizza?

:P
    most definitely a better analogy.

Let's see how far we can take this ridiculousness;

Are Man 1 and Man 2 selling the same type and quality pizza?
    And how frequently will Man 2 deliver pizza?
    Will Man 2 offer pepperoni as DLC pizza?