Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

If Guild Wars 2 isn't good...

I am done with MMO's until titan, I get on the hype train way to often and then get let down on release

*cough* Rift
    *semi-cough* SWTOR
    Last edited by Lirik; 2012-01-25 at 06:02 PM.

Deleted
    We all hope that it will be a good game that raises the bars for the other mmos out there

Hehe, I know the feeling =)
    City of Heroes, Age of Conan, Warhammer online, Champions online, Rift, SWtor. I've ridden every fail train.

Deleted
    Well... Titan will be a MMO-shoot'em'up, it's not like any of the general MMO-RPG, but a fresh story/gameplay/design would be refreshing...

Anyone looking forward to secret world, or is that forever away?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ehh View Post
    Anyone looking forward to secret world, or is that forever away?
    I like the idea of Secret World, but the more information they release about the core mechanics the less interested I get in the game. Not slating it, just hasn't gone in the direction that I was hoping it would .

I've got more MMO-interest-tokens invested in Planetside2 than GW2 currently, but planning on playing both. If both of those fail I may actually go back and play Fallen Earth now it F2P, played the beta and really enjoyed most features of the game.

So SWTOR is a fail as well? (dunno, didn't play)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll keep playing WoW for a while then.

Idk about all those being fail, I would say Rift was at least as good as Wrath and better than the parts of Cataclysm I played for. That's the only other one I tried but the "WoW killers" usually have something making them worth playing.

Looking forward to GW2. At this point I really just want to see blizz burn.
    Nightstormer of Azuremyst

We've seen enough to know that it is good.
    Anet are being very frank and honest...most of these games that are mentioned here release shiny trailers with little other info...ppl just end up believing everything is amazing.
    Here...we see the design process much more openly.
    Personally, this makes me think we can trust that they're not just showing us "shiny"

Quote Originally Posted by ZenTaurus View Post
    of course not. i'd bet my balls he's never even played it either. people with strong opinions on games usually got them from someone else. i wasn't gonna try swtor, did it anyway last weekend and gave my wow account away the other day. leveling is fun. i haven't had fun leveling in an MMORPG pretty much ever. it's always been a means to an end and in swtor, it's fun

if you like RPGs, you'll love swtor. if you don't care about the story, you shouldn't be on MMO-champion.com anyway. MMOs that don't tell a story (wow these days) aren't even really MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenTaurus View Post
    I would say it's too early to tell for sure currently, I play and do really enjoy it but will admit its drifting slowly towards fail waters in certain area's but if any game can pull itself cleanly back it will be a game with swtor's budget. Will have to see in what direction it develops, either way will take a while to fail if it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstormer View Post
    Idk about all those being fail, I would say Rift was at least as good as Wrath and better than the parts of Cataclysm I played for. That's the only other one I tried but the "WoW killers" usually have something making them worth playing.

Looking forward to GW2. At this point I really just want to see blizz burn.
    swtor and gw2 will both be long-lived GREAT games. i was looking forward to GW2 but after playing swtor and being an RPG fan, i don't think gw2 can live up to that part of it and that's important

gw2 will be better for pvp and that "wow" style of MMORPG that isnt' really an MMORPG, and it will be beautiful, but swtor has the best storytelling element an MMORPG ever has.

if you like mass effect, witcher, etc, you'll love swtor

---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 09:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    I would say it's too early to tell for sure currently, I play and do really enjoy it but will admit its drifting slowly towards fail waters in certain area's but if any game can pull itself cleanly back it will be a game with swtor's budget. Will have to see in what direction it develops, either way will take a while to fail if it does.
    what certain areas? the people who played planetside were mostly FPS guys. people are never really into fps/mmofps AND rpg/mmorpg equally because they're very different things for very different commitment schedules. leads me to believe you're another "i play mmorpgs but don't like mmorpgs" guy

getting really tired of that. i don't like wearing dresses. it'd be like me wearing dresses and bitching about it.
    Last edited by sulmithagreyse; 2012-01-14 at 03:55 AM.

@OP

Shouldn't buy into hype to much. But I suspect if GW2 isn't good, I and many others will just continue playing other MMOs as usual.

Kinda putting all of one's eggs in one basket or not having a sense of dilettantism is... not awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by sulmithagreyse View Post
    of course not. i'd bet my balls he's never even played it either. people with strong opinions on games usually got them from someone else. i wasn't gonna try swtor, did it anyway last weekend and gave my wow account away the other day. leveling is fun. i haven't had fun leveling in an MMORPG pretty much ever. it's always been a means to an end and in swtor, it's fun

if you like RPGs, you'll love swtor. if you don't care about the story, you shouldn't be on MMO-champion.com anyway. MMOs that don't tell a story (wow these days) aren't even really MMOs.
    I leveled a scoundrel to 50, got full epics through hardmodes flashpoints / PvP.

It is literally the same end game grind as WoW. I prefer WoW's setting and end game grind more though. So no, I don't like SWTOR. I stopped playing completely and cancelled my subscription.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I am one of those reserved types when it comes to video games, maybe (if I may be so bold) a conniseur of sorts as well.

Most of the MMO's that came to market never gave me any appeal, even if it was an IP that I had an interest in, they just felt like they had too much "sameness" to them, the other thing that kinda threw me off were subscription fees, as WoW was the only one i could afford. besides, I was still deep into WoW as it was at the time the other ones came out, so i didnt pay much mind to them.

But since Cata i left the game mid 4.2, and was looking at alternatives, i was looking into ToR, because I love the Star Wars franchise and thought an MMO would be cool, but the reviews i heard just reminded me of WoW too much, many of the features felt the same as WoW's gameplay mechanics, and the subscription fee also kinda turned me away a bit (yea, i get it, im cheap, tell it to someone who has a job).

A freind of mine bought ToR and really wanted me to play it with him, so I went over to his house and played it myself, I was rather shocked at how close in resemblance it was to WoW's playstyle I almost wanted to just walk away a bit. Ill admit it was a relief on the eyes to see another MMO of a franchise I like, but I kept thinking to myself "if I play this, all I am going to think of this game is how close it is to WoW", turns out my friend dropped the game the next week too ><

At first I thought of GW2 like the rest of the MMO's, just another MMO out there going to make its debut. But the thing that caught my appeal was the lack of subscription fee. Then i got into the Forums here when they opened up and I admit I am somewhat hyped about this game. More than I usually am for games I am looking forward to.

I do not know if this game will succeed, but I will know that it tried to be innovative in the genre, bringing features that may or may not work to better the MMO industry as a whole.

Trying to be a game that is somewhat different from the pack, I guess its underdog syndrome as usual for this one :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care too much if it turns out bad. Of course it would be nice having an awesome mmo released, but my life will go on the same.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    .. I lose hope in humanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Failmuffins View Post
    .. I lose hope in humanity.
    ....ok...... care to actually contribute to the thread and give a reason why you think so little of us?

Quote Originally Posted by Lirik View Post
    I leveled a scoundrel to 50, got full epics through hardmodes flashpoints / PvP.

It is literally the same end game grind as WoW. I prefer WoW's setting and end game grind more though. So no, I don't like SWTOR. I stopped playing completely and cancelled my subscription.
    if you prefer a fantasy setting, why in the hell would you buy a sci-fi game in the first place?

that type of stuff blows my mind. i went to the grocery store today. i didn't buy beer because i didn't want beer. i can't even think of a logical reason to waste money on something i know i don't like.

the fact you even gave a type of game you don't like a try is proof to me that you're not happy with wow, you're just addicted. people were like that in wotlk and are just now trickling out. you have all that time invested in your toon and can't validate wasting it and putting that effort into another toon

blizz added the achievement system SPECIFICALLY for this reason. you can SEE what you've done and that visual makes it that much more addictive