Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    So just in time to add a 3570K to that shopping list?
    You wish Fetzie, I ain't spending that kind of cash until a GPU can bottleneck my 2600k when it's overclocked. I still need to deal with my CPU cooler situation, which I think I will do before I get the Seagate Momentus XT hard drive.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    You wish Fetzie
    I'm willing to bet the 3570K will not be more than $250.... since it's not a 2011 X79 CPU, it is in fact an Ivy Bridge CPU. The 2600K will likely remain more expensive than the 3570K.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I'm willing to bet the 3570K will not be more than $250.... since it's not a 2011 X79 CPU, it is in fact an Ivy Bridge CPU. The 2600K will likely remain more expensive than the 3570K.
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i...0i5-3570K.html

price at intro is set at $225

10+ Year Old Account
    Well damn! That's even cheaper than the opening price of the 2500Ks!
    "A flower.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but why replace what I got when I am not even pushing the damn thing very much? I see no sense in "upgrading" forcing me to buy a new socket type board for almost zero performance increase over what I have. My computer only lacks the inability to maximize graphics on my 1080p monitor now due to the 6870 being somewhat of a budget high performer, as it had no problem running most games at a 1680x1050 resolution near maximum settings. Hence why I am more interested in getting a graphics card before a new processor. I might actually get the motherboard alongside my CPU cooler so that I don't have to take my processor out more then once, found some other websites cheaper then Newegg for certain parts, there is no way in hell I am paying 110 dollars plus shipping for a Corsair H80 on NCIX when I can get it for 95 plus free shipping from Direct Canada.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but why replace what I got when I am not even pushing the damn thing very much? I see no sense in "upgrading" forcing me to buy a new socket type board
    Let me stop you there.

P67 and Z68 motherboards will support the Ivy Bridge CPUs, since they are 1155 CPUs as well and I think the most you have to do is do a minor BIOS flash and boom your MoBo is IB ready.

Badabing badaboom.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but why replace what I got when I am not even pushing the damn thing very much? I see no sense in "upgrading" forcing me to buy a new socket type board for almost zero performance increase over what I have. My computer only lacks the inability to maximize graphics on my 1080p monitor now due to the 6870 being somewhat of a budget high performer, as it had no problem running most games at a 1680x1050 resolution near maximum settings. Hence why I am more interested in getting a graphics card before a new processor. I might actually get the motherboard alongside my CPU cooler so that I don't have to take my processor out more then once, found some other websites cheaper then Newegg for certain parts, there is no way in hell I am paying 110 dollars plus shipping for a Corsair H80 on NCIX when I can get it for 95 plus free shipping from Direct Canada.
    same socket, all you should need is a bios update and drop in the new cpu, this is speculation atm as intel hasn't announced anything official on that

dammit, deltrus beat me to it

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Let me stop you there.

P67 and Z68 motherboards will support the Ivy Bridge CPUs, since they are 1155 CPUs as well and I think the most you have to do is do a minor BIOS flash and boom your MoBo is IB ready.

Badabing badaboom.
    I thought they were socket 2011, looks like I haven't been keeping up to date enough on new technology durr

Edit: @Deltrus, yes my RAM was in Dual Channel mode, it won't boot in any other configuration
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2012-01-14 at 10:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought they were socket 2011, looks like I haven't been keeping up to date enough on new technology durr

Edit: @Deltrus, yes my RAM was in Dual Channel mode, it won't boot in any other configuration
    Fair enough on the RAM, I think typically you just want to have matching RAM matched up 1&3 and 2&4.

Socket 2011 is Sandy Bridge Extreme and will later this year or early 2013, get Ivy Bridge Extreme.

Socket 1155 is Sandy Bridge and now is getting some new CPUs called Ivy Bridge.

I know, it doesn't help make things easy to understand. >_<
    "A flower.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seems moot for a die shrink, even with a stock cooler the 2600k is fine for most applications, if you are overclocking then you want less heat output, but for me even when I get my H80, if I can get OC temps less then 40 degrees I will be fine with it.

And with the weather the way it is right now and how cold it's been, my computer running is keeping my room warm on these -18 Celsius nights. If I popped my windows open tonight (assuming they aren't frozen shut), I could probably overclock my computer with the stock cooler and not have a heating issue

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems moot for a die shrink, even with a stock cooler the 2600k is fine for most applications, if you are overclocking then you want less heat output, but for me even when I get my H80, if I can get OC temps less then 40 degrees I will be fine with it.

And with the weather the way it is right now and how cold it's been, my computer running is keeping my room warm on these -18 Celsius nights. If I popped my windows open tonight (assuming they aren't frozen shut), I could probably overclock my computer with the stock cooler and not have a heating issue
    ivybridge is not just a die shrink, they are also implementing 3d transistor gates, which are more efficient and perform better

---------- Post added 2012-01-14 at 07:18 PM ----------

new toys:

now im just waiting on a case

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I can't justify a whole new processor and basically overhauling half my rig just to get a slightly better performing CPU, I am more concerned about my graphics at the moment anyway. I will get a new board and a processor eventually. When I get my full time pay raise I will look into getting an Ivy Bridge processor and a better board, but that won't be for another 6-9 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    now im just waiting on a case
    Nice! What case are you going for? And watercooling it again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Nice! What case are you going for? And watercooling it again?
    the cosmos II, and yes i'll be watercooling it, probably adding a 240 rad in with the current ones

10+ Year Old Account
    the cosmos II, and yes i'll be watercooling it, probably adding a 240 rad in with the current ones
    What do you do with your old parts? TT

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I can't justify a whole new processor and basically overhauling half my rig just to get a slightly better performing CPU, I am more concerned about my graphics at the moment anyway. I will get a new board and a processor eventually. When I get my full time pay raise I will look into getting an Ivy Bridge processor and a better board, but that won't be for another 6-9 months.
    i've stopped trying to justify purchases, if i want something and i have the funds then i buy it, if i don't have the funds i put it on a list of things i want, and if suddenly i come across some money then i refer to that list

although, something tells me i'll never get a $15,000 kitten, no matter how long i wait

---------- Post added 2012-01-14 at 09:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    What do you do with your old parts? TT
    i give them to friends an family, this time around my 990x/MB/Ram will be going to my brother who is an aspiring 3d modeler
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2012-01-15 at 04:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i've stopped trying to justify purchases, if i want something and i have the funds then i buy it, if i don't have the funds i put it on a list of things i want, and if suddenly i come across some money then i refer to that list

although, something tells me i'll never get a $15,000 kitten, no matter how long i wait

---------- Post added 2012-01-14 at 09:33 PM ----------

i give them to friends an family, this time around my 990x/MB/Ram will be going to my brother who is an aspiring 3d modeler
    You should consider selling them at lower prices to computer forum denizens who have money to spend. :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    You should consider selling them at lower prices to computer forum denizens who have money to spend. :3
    the money i would get is not as nice as walking up and giving someone parts they can only dream of getting, also, giving stuff away rather then selling helps break any attachment you may have to an item

10+ Year Old Account
    the money i would get is not as nice as walking up and giving someone parts they can only dream of getting, also, giving stuff away rather then selling helps break any attachment you may have to an item
    If you come across any 7970's, throw them my way. :3

Neat! What are you planning? Two dual 120 rads in the bottom chamber and a triple 120 rad in top?