Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Oh I got those screens tagged! My sisters and I made a photo book so we can tag what dresses we were going to wear & see the patterns and dye options. And hopefully mix & match tops/boots. The vanity stuff is a huge draw for me/us.

More seriously, I don't know why more games don't give players options. Surely, at least one developer would recognize big ass shoulderpads are not appealing to everyone. Rift has a wardrobe options but kinda limited and mostly ugly crap to choose from. Transmog in Warcraft is also sunk by the fact I can choose between Goat Horn Helmet and Demon Horn Helmet... wtf? (FU, Blizzard!)

There is great potential in games that offer a wealth of vanity items. Vindictus/ROM/Perfect World/Aion have spectacular clothes/costumes and I blew enough on that vanity stuff to pay for Rift/WOW for 3 years over.

Look at League of Legends... people buy champions with IP but drop $10-30 bucks on a yellow outfit for their champion.

MORE OPTIONS!
    Options take time and money, when your team is just squeaking by to shit out a poor WoW clone you don't really have the time...or so it seems. Yet here we have ANet who is making the anti-WoW and can still manage to give us tons of customization. Thanks ANet!

Its just seems kinda foolish to not give players lots of vanity options. There is great money and incentive in it for developers. Most costume pieces in another MMO I play sell for more IRL cash than the stat gear.

The only reason I care about that +5 Sword of Awesome of Awesomeing is because I can't raid without it. But if I didn't need it and could still raid, I would be just as happy and wiling to chase after that +0 Sword of Fabulousness. And pay for it.

Its just seems kinda foolish to not give players lots of vanity options. There is great money and incentive in it for developers. Most costume pieces in another MMO I play sell for more IRL cash than the stat gear.

The only reason I care about that +5 Sword of Awesome of Awesomeing is because I can't raid without it. But if I didn't need it and could still raid, I would be just as happy and wiling to chase after that +0 Sword of Fabulousness. And pay for it.
    This is true, I have a friend who's spent about $70 on skins in LoL and some others who've spent $20-$40. Though the same friend who spent $70 on skins in LoL actually complained that he MIGHT have to buy 3 character slots in GW2. If he does I'll rip into him for being a hypocrite considering one is cosmetic and the other provides gameplay for potentially thousands of hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I got those screens tagged! My sisters and I made a photo book so we can tag what dresses we were going to wear & see the patterns and dye options. And hopefully mix & match tops/boots. The vanity stuff is a huge draw for me/us.

More seriously, I don't know why more games don't give players options. Surely, at least one developer would recognize big ass shoulderpads are not appealing to everyone. Rift has a wardrobe options but kinda limited and mostly ugly crap to choose from. Transmog in Warcraft is also sunk by the fact I can choose between Goat Horn Helmet and Demon Horn Helmet... wtf? (FU, Blizzard!)

There is great potential in games that offer a wealth of vanity items. Vindictus/ROM/Perfect World/Aion have spectacular clothes/costumes and I blew enough on that vanity stuff to pay for Rift/WOW for 3 years over.

Look at League of Legends... people buy champions with IP but drop $10-30 bucks on a yellow outfit for their champion.

MORE OPTIONS!
    i...i...i don't even...what?! photo book?! an army of cloned Fencers?! O.o
    <=== mind blown
    for you vanity items really are serious business. shit just got real!
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

no, we are not all gonna wear the same clothes...

we don't want to look the same, per se. just have our looks/clothes planned out & considering what pieces can be matched. don't know how to explain the idea simpler than that- planning is fun. its important stuff to our enjoyment, though i understand not everyone finds that stuff fun. its a major draw for me/us to the game however.

think most people chase vanity items. and it usually takes more time to get vanity items than stat gear. it takes ages to get all your pets, achievements and mounts in warcraft. i only have to show up 2 nights a week for 3 hours to get full raid gear. so why continue to provide artificial stat gear to keep accessing new content?

not sure why we have that old system for this long. gets tiresome. developers could be making so much more money off this stuff as well. a guy in china paid like 16k for a vanity sword...

I'd like to a wider variety of item aesthetics as well, but not necessarily for me. While I'm a fan of the demon-horn-skull-helmet sort of thing (see WH40K Chaos Marines), it gets pretty dull when everyone looks the same way I do.

10+ Year Old Account
    no, we are not all gonna wear the same clothes...

we don't want to look the same, per se. just have our looks/clothes planned out & considering what pieces can be matched. don't know how to explain the idea simpler than that- planning is fun. its important stuff to our enjoyment, though i understand not everyone finds that stuff fun. its a major draw for me/us to the game however.

think most people chase vanity items. and it usually takes more time to get vanity items than stat gear. it takes ages to get all your pets, achievements and mounts in warcraft. i only have to show up 2 nights a week for 3 hours to get full raid gear. so why continue to provide artificial stat gear to keep accessing new content?

not sure why we have that old system for this long. gets tiresome. developers could be making so much more money off this stuff as well. a guy in china paid like 16k for a vanity sword...
    haha, no disrespect ma', i was just making a joke that there are more of "you" (as in your sisters) out there. and believe me i know how people get about vanity items, i prefer them over stat items as they are optional and not a necessity...in some games. i may not pay irl cash for them or even farm then per say, but if i come across a reasonably easy to obtain one i won't shy away from it. i guess as i never play female toons i never really got into it.

Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    haha, no disrespect ma', i was just making a joke that there are more of "you" (as in your sisters) out there. and believe me i know how people get about vanity items, i prefer them over stat items as they are optional and not a necessity...in some games. i may not pay irl cash for them or even farm then per say, but if i come across a reasonably easy to obtain one i won't shy away from it. i guess as i never play female toons i never really got into it.
    No offense taken. :P Just all 3 of us showing up with the same outfit would be the type of thing we are trying to avoid. Haha!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    i guess as i never play female toons i never really got into it.
    Even male toons need to be stylin' or those bitches won't ever get bow down!

10+ Year Old Account
    No offense taken. :P Just all 3 of us showing up with the same outfit would be the type of thing we are trying to avoid. Haha!
    am i the only who thought of all those teenage movies where girls that were supposed to be friends show up at an event wearing the same outfit, even though one of them knew that the other was going to be wearing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Even male toons need to be stylin' or those bitches won't ever get bow down!
    haha, no doubt except that i always find a way to make my toons look good without a *cough*photo book*cough*. i would post some screenshots, but i am too lazy to upload.

10+ Year Old Account
    I certainly hope I can dress up my thief for a classic film noir look: work dress with a simple neck tie, trenchcoat (with collar popped?), fedora.

Here's lookin at you, kid.
    Also known as Welcome on the WoW forums.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    Options take time and money, when your team is just squeaking by to shit out a poor WoW clone you don't really have the time...or so it seems. Yet here we have ANet who is making the anti-WoW and can still manage to give us tons of customization. Thanks ANet!
    No F-ing kidding. Took blizzard YEARS to give a half baked and VERY limited appearance tab that still has way too many restrictions.

many asian mmos offer TONS of vanity and costume options. got used to that in all mmos after i left warcraft circa wrath. eq had wardrobe options as well. so i only was saddled with the profoundly ugly art style of warcraft for a few years. the concept not being able to swap out looks is [from my perspective] unusual.

blows my mind transmog is a big deal when stuff like this is the norm for me:

Last edited by Fencers; 2012-01-17 at 02:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    No F-ing kidding. Took blizzard YEARS to give a half baked and VERY limited appearance tab that still has way too many restrictions.
    Will Guild Wars 2 actually let players choose any gear set they want? I know that there will be numerous gear sets at the max level with equal stats, but that's not quite the same thing as saying they can use any gear set. That's just saying they can use any of the 'approved' gear sets, a system that would be more restrictive than the current WoW system that you're knocking.

edit:
    many asian mmos offer TONS of vanity and costume options. got used to that in all mmos after i left warcraft circa wrath. eq had wardrobe options as well. so i only was saddled with the profoundly ugly art style of warcraft for a few years. the concept not being able to swap out looks is [from my perspective] unusual.

blows my mind transmog is a big deal when stuff like this is the norm for me:
    Woo customization underwear? =/

Other than the underwear, that didn't deal with wardrobe options at all. It just seemed to have a few sample outfits of what players can get in the game.
    Last edited by Primal Zed; 2012-01-17 at 02:21 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Zed View Post
    Will Guild Wars 2 actually let players choose any gear set they want? I know that there will be numerous gear sets at the max level with equal stats, but that's not quite the same thing as saying they can use any gear set. That's just saying they can use any of the 'approved' gear sets, a system that would be more restrictive than the current WoW system that you're knocking.
    GW2 will have transmutation stones, which you can buy for karma, that have this function.

Other than the underwear, that didn't deal with wardrobe options at all. It just seemed to have a few sample outfits of what players can get in the game.
    You can customize your underwear!

http://vindictus.nexon.net/News/Cont...ontentNo=00DOZ

But the point is I am far more used to rich customization from character creation to diversity of costume gear WITHOUT a loss of functionality. Aion, Co9, PWI, EQ2, LOTRO, ROM, Rift, etc.

My main is a full on tank/bruiser in one game with a pirate wench halter top [chest armor], poffy skirt [leggings], angel wings [cloak], bunny ears [helmet], fairy wand [sword], rose bouquet [shield], winged boots [feet] and fire aura [trinket]. Her mount is a hover board.

Transmog is so limited by comparison. I guess if one is starving stale crackers are pretty great.

edit:

Based on everything they've said and their constant emphasis on allowing you to look how you want, I think the only limitations are your armor weight class (light/medium/heavy) then everyone could wear all clothing outside of racial clothes. Couldn't see ANet pulling a Blizzard and only allow you to use 30 items or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, that's right, I did forget about the transmutation stones.

Would those let players make equipment take on the appearance of equipment in a different armor class? Make their medium armor look like light armor, for example?

I'm a little boggled that people are insisting WoW's method is super restrictive. You have literally hundreds of options for each slot. Sure, I wish I could dress up my rogue in a tuxedo, but I don't think the restrictions that are applied on it are unreasonable. Save perhaps for not being able to use legendary items.

At least it's quick and easy to do, while ArenaNet's transmutation stones are microtransaction bait.

Would those let players make equipment take on the appearance of equipment in a different armor class? Make their medium armor look like light armor, for example?

I'm a little boggled that people are insisting WoW's method is super restrictive. You have literally hundreds of options for each slot. Sure, I wish I could dress up my rogue in a tuxedo, but I don't think the restrictions that are applied on it are unreasonable. Save perhaps for not being able to use legendary items.

At least it's quick and easy to do, while ArenaNet's transmutation stones are microtransaction bait.
    T-Stones can be bought with Karma, either they've pulled it from the store or maybe there's more charges on the store version versus the karma version. As far as we know you can only wear/t-stone armor that's in your weight class such as casters can only use light armor, clothing and such applies to all classes.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Game with monthly fee vs game without monthly fee... zzz