Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Monk Class Recap

Mists of Pandaria - Monk Preview

Monks are masters of bare-handed combat, choosing to draw their weapons only for devastating finishing moves. Monk healers bring harmony and balance to every group, healing even the most grievous of injuries with ancient remedies and focused spiritual arts. And few can hope to out-last the unquenchable prowess of the Monk Brewmaster, whose empowering beverages and unpredictable combat style allow them to absorb incredible amounts of punishment.

Brewmaster
    • Brewmaster is the tank spec, mainly using staves.
    • They can also use one-handed maces, axes, and swords.
    • The Brewmaster should have the feel of dodging and weaving in combat, reminiscent of the drunken master from martial arts flicks.
    • There will be a tanking stance.

Windwalker
    • Windwalker is the melee DPS spec, mainly using fist weapons.
    • They can also use one-handed maces, axes, and swords.
    • The Windwalker will be the kung fu master who beats the crap out of opponents with fists and feet.

Mistweaver
    • Mistweaver is the healing spec, healing through melee and a more conventional mana based healing style.
    • They mainly use staves, maces, axes, and swords, but not shields.
    • The Mistweaver is partially the wise healer archetype, but like the old men in martial arts movies, he can beat down his enemies as well.
    • When switching to healing stance the monk will get a mana bar.
    • The monk will be less target based when healing and more proximity based. For example, you can put statues in the raid and melee the boss to heal in that area.
    • Use of the statues is similar to Shaman Totems being used to heal friendly targets.

Resource System
    • The resource model is supposed to be simpler than the Death Knight model, and the class is supposed to start out more balanced than Death Knights did.
    • Chi (energy) slowly regenerates and is only used for your Jab and Roll abilities.
    • Jab generates Light and Dark force, which are used for everything else. Some finishing move uses dark force, some use the light force.

General
    • Monks are not a hero class and will start at level 1.
    • Roll is like a combination between Warrior's Charge and Mage's Blink. Unlike those two abilities, Roll can be used sideways or backwards.
    • The monk class is very martial-arts based, with many unique and new animations for all of the races, especially Pandaren.
    • Monks can be any race except for Goblin and Worgens.
    • No auto attack! Devs want you to have this street fighter feel where you punch a lot
    • Leather Armor (Agility or Intellect)
    • Monks will hit a lot with hands and feet, reserving weapons for some bigger finisher skills.

Abilities

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Level 1 Abilities
    Jab
    40 Chi - Melee Range, Instant
    Requires Stance of the Drunken Ox, Stance of the Fierce Tiger.
    You jab the target, dealing 5 damage and generating 1 light force and 1 dark force.

Tiger Palm
    1 Light Force - Melee range, instant
    Deals 10 Physical damage, deals 5 additional damage if the target is above 50% health.

Level 2 Abilities
    Roll
    50 Chi - Instant
    Roll a short distance.

Level 3 Abilities
    Blackout Kick
    2 Dark Force - Melee range, Instant
    Kick with a blast of energy, causing 28 physical damage to an enemy target. If the target is killed by blackout kick, you are returned 1 Dark Force.

Level 5 Abilities
    Flying Serpent Kick
    8-40 Yards range, 25 Seconds Cooldown, Instant.
    Soar through the air towards a targeted enemy, knocking them down and stunning them for 2 seconds.

Spinning Crane Kick
    Instant, 2 Lights and Dark Forces
    You spin while kicking in the air, dealing 23 damage every 1 second to all nearby enemies within 8 yards. Movement speed is reduced by 30%, last 6 seconds.

Level ?? Abilities
    Statue of the Jade Serpent
    5 Sec Cast
    Summon a statue at the target location. Anytime you deal damage, a nearby friendly target within 20 yards of the statue will be healed. You can have up to 3 Jade Dragon Statues active at a time.

Official Video

Other Video

Artwork

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally I can be a Brewmaster!

Looking forward to hearing/seeing more about this class.

10+ Year Old Account
    So excited for this expansion! Cataclysm has been ok, but it will probably not compare to MoP!

I am so re-rolling a Brewmaster Monk to double with my hubby's new Kitty Druid.
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2012-01-18 at 05:31 AM.

So...unless I'm missing it, and it's an all-around weapon that wasn't mentioned, or they're removing them in MoP...monks, the only class that is actually BASED around fighting with their fists and feet...cannot use Fist weapons? Wut?

Edit: And yes, I see the picture of what they can use from Blizzcon, but now this updated info from Chaud makes no mention of them.

I wonder if the Mistweaver is going just be mainly based statues or if there will be more to it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayn7734 View Post
    So...unless I'm missing it, and it's an all-around weapon that wasn't mentioned, or they're removing them in MoP...monks, the only class that is actually BASED around fighting with their fists and feet...cannot use Fist weapons? Wut?

Edit: And yes, I see the picture of what they can use from Blizzcon, but now this updated info from Chaud makes no mention of them.
    He said that the Windwalker spec will mostly use Fist Weapons.
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2012-01-18 at 05:30 AM.

"Windwalker is the melee DPS spec, mainly using fist weapons"

I'm actually stoked about having a class that uses hand to hand combat, augmented with weapons. now you really can punch deathwing in the face!

15+ Year Old Account

Windwalker specced Monks will be able to use Fist Weapons. The other two specs won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

i'm still half expecting blizzard to announce this was a gag :/

Quote Originally Posted by skiff85 View Post
    You're going to be disappointed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't wait for Monks

Seems nice, i have to try the Flying serpent king is going to be OP in pvp lol, and i love a new BLADESTORM.

Quote Originally Posted by Durmindo View Post
    Seems nice, i have to try the Flying serpent king is going to be OP in pvp lol, and i love a new BLADESTORM.
    not sure if srs

That Monk Combat video actually manages to make Gnome animations look serious in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by k1037 View Post
    That Monk Combat video actually manages to make Gnome animations look serious in comparison.
    Why? You got a thing against martial arts?

Quote Originally Posted by skiff85 View Post
    I know how you feel.

---------- Post added 2012-01-18 at 09:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by k1037 View Post
    Hehe, indeed

Deleted
    Omg gnome monk!!!!

Monks look like they are going to be fast-paced and just plan fun. Also it's time for WAR!!!!!!!!!!

Will the screen be constantly blurry when in brewmaster spec? ^^
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I was hoping that the DPS spec will be using staves... so we could have a legendary...

I am a menace to my own destiny.