In-game Gold --> USD?

I've seen multiple posts on the official diablo forums, here, and on reddit saying you can or can't convert in-game gold to to your battle balance / cash. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks!

I think you can sell it but you cant just gather gold click a button and boom get irl cash...

10+ Year Old Account
    you an if you are good at the AH

reg AH -> find great deals -> post on RMAH = gold to $$

but since the fee blizz charges for the RMAH is from the POST, not from the sale of an item....

you would have ot be very good at this to actually make good money.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

you can sell gold on the real money AH
    you can even sell characters, if I recall correctly

10+ Year Old Account
    im pretty sure money cant be cashed out of your bnet account, only used towards other bnet products. so in a sense its kinda not worth it after a point

It can be cashed out using Paypal, they've already said that.

You can't just directly convert in-game gold to currency IRL or vice versa.

What you can do is buy/sell quantities of gold on the RMAH from/to other players at whatever market price becomes, which comes from/goes to your B.net balance. The B.net balance can be cashed out via PayPal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just remember all you people thinking your going to make money of the RMAH, go look at the FAQS etc.. you can put real money in but you can't take it out, only add it to your in-game wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    Just remember all you people thinking your going to make money of the RMAH, go look at the FAQS etc.. you can put real money in but you can't take it out, only add it to your in-game wallet.
    Incorrect.

From the RMAH FAQ:

How will the currency-based auction house work?

Players will be able to make purchases in the currency-based auction house using a registered form of payment attached to their Battle.net account. As with other popular online-purchase services, players will also have the option to charge up their Battle.net account with a balance of funds that can be drawn from for purchases of any digital product available through Battle.net -- this includes not only auction house items but also things like World of Warcraft subscription time and paid services, to name a few examples. On the flipside, when players sell an item in the currency-based auction house, the proceeds of the sale are deposited into their Battle.net account and can then be used as described above. Note that this process might be different for certain regions; we’ll provide further region-specific details as we get closer to launch.

Can players choose to get cash from currency-based auction house sales, instead of having the proceeds deposited into their Battle.net account?

Yes, as an advanced feature, players will have the option of attaching an account with an approved third-party payment service to their Battle.net account. Once this has been completed, proceeds from the sale of items in the currency-based auction house can be deposited into their third-party payment service account. “Cashing out” would then be handled through the third-party payment service. Note that this process will be subject to applicable fees charged by Blizzard and the third-party payment service. Also, any proceeds from the sale of items in the currency-based auction house that have been deposited into the Battle.net account will not be transferrable to the third-party payment service account. Not all regions will support this advanced feature at launch. Region-specific details, as well as details regarding which third-party payment services will be supported and the fee that Blizzard will charge for the cash-out process, will all be provided at a later date.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...on:auction-faq

Basically - you have to choose whether to deposit to paypal, etc, or deposit to your BNet account. You can't convert money between the two.
    Last edited by Jasyn; 2012-01-19 at 04:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasyn View Post
    SNIP
    My bad, should of said blizzard will take most of the cut anyways so it won't be profitable for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasyn View Post

Basically - you have to choose whether to deposit to paypal, etc, or deposit to your BNet account. You can't convert money between the two.
    I don't think I caught that before - so you HAVE to set up a paypal account beforehand if you want to get your monies

My bad, should of said blizzard will take most of the cut anyways so it won't be profitable for you.
    I just plan on selling stuff through the RMAH and not putting anything in it, my goal is to pay for my copy of D3.

Because you know the cuts....

Anyway, there will be a rough and semi-variable conversion of in-game gold to money that will depend on a lot of things.

I was under the impression they only take a little bit of the cut. Like 10ish% of each sale. Taking only a little bit of each sale would be a huge source of income. It'd be pointless to take "most" of the sale (over 50% of the cash you made) as it'd only detur(sp???) people from using it.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Really? So how much are they charging?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    Really? So how much are they charging?
    It's not revealed yet but honestly it's not going to be more than 10% and quite possibly it'll be less than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can hook up you printer, hit the 'Convert Battle.net credit -> Cash' button, and the notes will start coming in. x3

Quote Originally Posted by Jdman View Post
    I just plan on selling stuff through the RMAH and not putting anything in it, my goal is to pay for my copy of D3.

Have you ever seen the market on D2jsp, it takes a long time and a very big build up before you can repay the amount of gold you spent gearing up your toon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalx View Post
    you can sell gold on the real money AH
    you can even sell characters, if I recall correctly
    selling characters will come later after release i think, wasn't really paying much attention