Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Follow-up question: How did it work out?
    DAOC is highly regarded as the best open world PvP in gaming and it's exactly what ANet is aiming for. They've said DAOC is their inspiration for WvW.

---------- Post added 2012-01-21 at 02:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    WvWvW is three servers matched up against each other across 4 maps. Each battle lasts from 1-2 weeks(don't recall what the last number they gave) and is mostly based around capturing specific points, though there are supposed to quite a few different objectives besides that. You can both level and attain gear in WvWvW also.

Essentially it will be team based to an extent that you have other people from on your server that will be on your 'side' but due to the size of the maps, amount and size of different objectives, and the amount of people WvWvW can hold(hundreds of people), I'm sure it will give the feeling of FFA at times.
    WvWvW can hold 2,000 people in total as of right now so 500 people per map.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    DAOC is highly regarded as the best open world PvP in gaming and it's exactly what ANet is aiming for. They've said DAOC is their inspiration for WvW.

---------- Post added 2012-01-21 at 02:10 PM ----------

WvWvW can hold 2,000 people in total as of right now so 500 people per map.
    I really hope they can pull it off, i guess the stress test that will be Open beta will be our answer in that regard.

But seeing as they are the guys who INVENTED Battle.net, i dont see why they cant :P
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    I really hope they can pull it off, i guess the stress test that will be Open beta will be our answer in that regard.

But seeing as they are the guys who INVENTED Battle.net, i dont see why they cant :P
    At this point, after the Ilum clusterfuck in SWTOR, they could totally drop the ball and still end up being worshipped, because they would do better then Ilum.
    The other competition isn't exactly shining in terms of organised large scale PvP eithers. The "run for bases, don't fight" Tol Barad was even worse then Wintergrasp imho.

Deleted

With Umbra I think it'll be a huge difference from SW:tor and WoW becouse the things you've to load is just so much less. And they don't have an combat-log like WoW which has to get everything (donno if GW2 even have a combat log, I don't think it has tbh...), i.e. the lag will be less of a pain.

What I pray for is that we get some epic battles in WvWvW, like huge collisions. Even though I enjoy the idea of having a sneaky tactic like destroying caravans, taking over mines and all that for getting advantages I still want some huge fights. A little bit of that epic feeling you get by just watching LotR If WvWvW just give me 1/3 of that feeling I'll be God damn happy.

I believe in A-net, they'll pull this off!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post
    With Umbra I think it'll be a huge difference from SW:tor and WoW because the things you've to load is just so much less. And they don't have an combat-log like WoW which has to get everything (dunno if GW2 even have a combat log, I don't think it has tbh...), i.e. the lag will be less of a pain.
    I heard (but I wouldn't be able to find a source) that there would be a combat log, in order to provide full information on your abilities.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

No factions? sad face not the game for me then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mikencarly View Post
    The other factions are the servers you compete against, it just encourages you to WORK WITH YOUR ENTIRE SERVER, rather than say "FUCK <insert faction>" and ignore the other half of the server populace :P
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post
    With Umbra I think it'll be a huge difference from SW:tor and WoW becouse the things you've to load is just so much less. And they don't have an combat-log like WoW which has to get everything (donno if GW2 even have a combat log, I don't think it has tbh...), i.e. the lag will be less of a pain.

What I pray for is that we get some epic battles in WvWvW, like huge collisions. Even though I enjoy the idea of having a sneaky tactic like destroying caravans, taking over mines and all that for getting advantages I still want some huge fights. A little bit of that epic feeling you get by just watching LotR If WvWvW just give me 1/3 of that feeling I'll be God damn happy.

I believe in A-net, they'll pull this off!
    GW2 does indeed have a combat log.

---------- Post added 2012-01-21 at 05:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mikencarly View Post
    So artificially limiting who you can play with for lolore makes sense right? Give me a single reason why a faction based MMO makes any sense. It goes against THE ENTIRE point of an MMO and makes world PvP balancing an absolute joke as seen by every single 2 faction MMO to ever release.

Deleted
    The other factions are the servers you compete against, it just encourages you to WORK WITH YOUR ENTIRE SERVER, rather than say "FUCK <insert faction>" and ignore the other half of the server populace :P
    I quote this for (imo) truth.

Still I understand if people want different factions, it get this ''I am ---- and proud of it'' feeling. Though if a certain game get's too popular, it can get pretty silly. like with Horde and Alliance. The latest Blizzcon, Horde players spitted on Alliance players, calling them names and what not, Blizzard themself (mainly a joke of course) made a joke out of the Alliance on the scene, and have done it a few times before.

So i'm all happy about the 1 faction side, where the only way I get to beat another player is by join PvP, WvWvW, minigames like barfights and kegbrawl. In the end I won't be able to blame the other races since they're my buddies 8D

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    But Skritt killing is serious business. The more Skritt you have together the smarter they get, so if we don't thin out their numbers they'll grow super intelligent and take over all of Tyria!
    Absolutely! Only one race can dominate Tyria, and we asura will not allow some disgusting little rats to take our place!
    Skritt are a complete affront to nature itself. I mean, group intelligence! Bah, it's nasuiating. Everyone knows that only by being smarter than everyone else around you can I......errr, I mean we......dominate the world. It's obvious. At least...it's obvious to me

Deleted
    As the other above says.

But, It would be fun to see some Kurzick vs Luxon when we arrive in Cantha. Maybe as it was in GW. Fort Aspenwood and Alliance Battles .

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    Indeed. I have never found PvP more enjoyable than the large-scale DAoC realm wars. Whether participating in a giant battle to defend or take a keep or hiding in the shadows waiting to snipe unsuspecting foes, it was just plain fun. Truly hoping that server wars in GW2 will bring back that feeling.

I personally like the "f*ck X server, they are #¤%#&" rather then "f*ck alliance".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Nope. ArenaNet's philosophy is that you should never be unhappy to run into another player in the world, it should actually make things more fun.
    Why would running into another faction in the world make anyone unhappy? Hell, it's exciting, "do I jump him or not?, "let's see what he does", "fek, he's going down" or "I can't be bothered right now so I leave him alone" and so on.

Fun stuff to me.

---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 01:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    The only thing that I find lacking in GW2 atm is lack of world pvp as in "you always gotta watch your back" feeling.
    I really loved it back in vanilla (and bit of tbc, and wotlk - daily/farm hubs where people NEEDED to farm), sadly in cata world pvp doesnt exist at all (except 1st week of its launch where I had some fun ganking and being ganked while leveling), in wotlk it ended with end of sons of hodir farmage (ezmode rep boost anyone?).
    However I hope Ill be happy with WvWvW, or some new "castle sieges" (this could be really fun objective based gametype - like Rush in BF3) or whatever they will have/might add.
    So there is no regular world PvP then? Boy, that was a big letdown for me right there. I love having to watch my back and to be able to jump other faction players or trying to guess their intentions. This sounds more like a PvE realm in WoW where you only PvP in BGs. I hope this isn’t so.
    Last edited by mmoc6cf872d270; 2012-01-22 at 12:30 PM.

Hey guys their are factions just not warring factions hell bent on destroying each other. These 3 factions have a semi mutual goal which is to find a way to get rid of the elder dragons be it putting them back to sleep, killing them, and i forget the third.

The Order of Whispers, im joining this one by the way. These guys wanna find a way to put the dragons back to sleep.
    The Vigil, These guys want to kill the lot of them.
    The Dumand Priory, These guys want to read books that might tell them more about how to defeat the dragons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbananapoo View Post
    As the other above says.

But, It would be fun to see some Kurzick vs Luxon when we arrive in Cantha. Maybe as it was in GW. Fort Aspenwood and Alliance Battles .
    Would be cool, but those 2 don't exist anymore in Guild Wars 2.
    Its last known emperor is Usoku, successor to Kisu. He defeated the Kurzicks and the Luxons, re-annexing them into the empire, before driving all non-humans from the lands. Anyone who disagreed with his rule was exiled.
    source

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    Why would running into another faction in the world make anyone unhappy? Hell, it's exciting, "do I jump him or not?, "let's see what he does", "fek, he's going down" or "I can't be bothered right now so I leave him alone" and so on.

Fun stuff to me.
    You might not be unhappy, but the other guy might be.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    You might not be unhappy, but the other guy might be.
    Which is why in most mmos whe have PvE and PvP realms.

Pve servers. One of the best ways to waste half the population on a server.

Which is why Anet have said...u know what? This is flawed. Why should the player base be split? You are ur character.
    You want to pve...go do it.
    You want to pvp...go do it.
    It's really that simple.
    Making you press a button or 2 to go to pvp...is just so much easier than what most games make you do. There's no real reason for it.
    GW2...one server...ur gear doesn't matter. There are no pvp stats.
    You jump into pvp structered. Your gear doesn't mean anything. You fight, and whatever the outcome, you can honestly say that you won or lost based on skill.
    WvWvW. If your level 80, you have everything you need to win. It's epic on a scale that your not likely to have experiened. It's teamwork pvp that looks very promising. DaOC is apparently similar, but I've never played and not had time to look at it yet for a comparison.)