Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GW2: Where Exactly Is All This Innovation? Article

here a nice article that might answer a view questions:

index:

1. You can deliver an AAA MMO with a B2P model.

2. Remove the fight over resources in the PvE world.

3. Play with who you want, when you want, how you want.

4. Mass PvP is better when it's bigger.

5. Have a relatively low power ceiling, then go for horizontal expansion.

6. MMO PvP can be done as an E-Sport.

7. It's not what you play with, it's who you play with.

8. The controls of an MMO with the abilities of a MOBA and the physical interactions of an FPS. With a pinch of Magic the Gathering.

9. Try and have the best soundtrack ever in an MMORPG

The Tao of Arenanet - CLICK ME

Last edited by Maarius; 2012-01-22 at 09:35 PM.

Another great post, keep up the good work!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a good post, considering I've seen more and more people just spout "It looks like the same old MMO (Korean MMO) nothing new, move along" over forums and youtube videos. Then again, those posts are probably just trolls, but now I have a place to direct them to to prove a point. Thanks.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

"All of Maarius posts in one thread"

^request sticky.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I swear I have seen that posted here too in a thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I swear I have seen that posted here too in a thread...
    I'm sorry if this is the case, even though I'm here in those forums a lot I haven't seen it. Thanks to Meowhead for this great article.

Oh, it totally was! Some other guy wasn't able to link it because of his post count, so he just copy pasted it... Oh well. The more it's posted the more it's seen. It seems more people are taking notice to GW2, as well.

Deleted
    Wasnt interested before, read point 1 - realised that this game will be even more accessible than WoW - and closed the window. Thanks!

Deleted
    Alot of features seem pretty good, but the graphics I've seen (even at 1080p) look very poor compared to other new MMO's o.o?

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Alot of features seem pretty good, but the graphics I've seen (even at 1080p) look very poor compared to other new MMO's o.o?
    Link some of them, could be because they were some of those from Gamescon, which is a camera filming a screen normally.

You might also refer to the aesthetics, but that's just style.

To me they look a lot better than SWTOR, but they're also trying to make it as optimized as possible for older computers. I don't know why people get so hyped up over graphics in MMOs when the prime concern should be game play. The graphics are no where near terrible, so it should be a non-issue unless graphics are a make or break deal for you.
    The Glowing Piece of Radical Rock!

Deleted
    Many videos are recorded with handheld camera and many screenshots are from alpha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8XW5BULAqg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAMNwrF8rZ8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQfprmoSRiI

Here you can see some in-game recorded footage, and I think the graphics are much better.

I always found this appealing. Not sure why the concept went out of fashion to such a degree as we see now. Older MMOs didn't really have the hyper inflation we see nowadays in statistical gains.

I tried to get back into Everquest recently and the power delta is just insane. There is no way I can actually play without having stood by it for years and years.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    here a nice article that might answer a view questions:

index:

1. You can deliver an AAA MMO with a B2P model.

2. Remove the fight over resources in the PvE world.

3. Play with who you want, when you want, how you want.

6. MMO PvP can be done as an E-Sport.

7. It's not what you play with, it's who you play with.

8. The controls of an MMO with the abilities of a MOBA and the physical interactions of an FPS. With a pinch of Magic the Gathering.

9. Try and have the best soundtrack ever in an MMORPG

The Tao of Arenanet - CLICK ME

beautifully said.

this game is awesome and man i can't wait.

I havent been able to sit still ever since I heard of GW2... Even GW1 was amazing, a solo RPG or an MMO depending on how you were feeling that day. And now they're making it even more dynamic and personal, I cant wait. (and its the only MMO that I know of that allows you to mix professions)

Quote Originally Posted by Hexotic View Post
    (and its the only MMO that I know of that allows you to mix professions)
    you won't be able to do this in GW2 anymore. Instead you will be playing your profession very very different depending what weapon you choose. There are whole new playstlyles which take the part of the second profession in GW1, each very viable.

e.g.
    Melee-2H-Sword Ranger
    Sniperish Longbow Ranger
    Agile Shortbow Ranger
    Melee Sword + Torch Ranger

*Looks at this thread*
    *Alt tabs back to 3 fps one-sided world PvP planet in TOR*
    *alt tab back to this thread, shake head*
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Good post =] can't wait for GW2 obviously

---------- Post added 2012-01-23 at 08:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    you won't be able to do this in GW2 anymore. Instead you will be playing your profession very very different depending what weapon you choose. There are whole new playstlyles which take the part of the second profession in GW1, each very viable.

e.g.
    Melee-2H-Sword Ranger
    Sniperish Longbow Ranger
    Agile Shortbow Ranger
    Melee Sword + Torch Ranger
    Yeah if he was referring to professions as in Warrior / Monk then no. In GW2 you will have 1 of those. If he meant crafting professions, then more or less you can. If you abandon one to pick up another you will have all of the exp and recipes you had before you dropped it for another.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    *Looks at this thread*
    *Alt tabs back to 3 fps one-sided world PvP planet in TOR*
    *alt tab back to this thread, shake head*
    ANet isn't Bioware. ANet is using a heavily modified version of the GW1 engine that they know inside and out, Bioware purchased a license for an engine that no big developer had ever used and an engine that was originally designed for text based games. The Hero engine is unable to even render high resolution textures without choking. ANet uses a culling tech called Umbra that doesn't render anything the camera can't see and ANet has also said they test GW2 on video cards so old they have to get them from ebay(2002/2003 cards). You do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    ANet isn't Bioware. ANet is using a heavily modified version of the GW1 engine that they know inside and out, Bioware purchased a license for an engine that no big developer had ever used and an engine that was originally designed for text based games. The Hero engine is unable to even render high resolution textures without choking. ANet uses a culling tech called Umbra that doesn't render anything the camera can't see and ANet has also said they test GW2 on video cards so old they have to get them from ebay(2002/2003 cards). You do the math.
    j

*Shrug* I get promised a lot of things, doesn't mean they actually happen. I'll save my doubt for WvWvW until I actually play the game.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.