Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

I there eny different??

I there eny different, how fast I loot item. I am wondering, if I need faster then, anothers in my raid group, then have I more chance to won it????
    Last edited by Azshira; 2012-01-25 at 10:29 AM.

Deleted
    No, this makes no difference.

If your logic worked, then the chance of getting a 6 when rolling a dice is higher if you roll first. Which it of course isn't.

It does not matter
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    no. doesnt matter how fast you click the need button.

Goddamn, that's outright raping the language ...

No, there is not. It is random.

Do not be a grammar nazi, not everyone types english perfectly (I know I don't!) -Azshira
    Last edited by Azshira; 2012-01-25 at 10:16 AM.

Deleted
    Random is random.

Well actually it isn't since a computer decides the number, but still... you have no influence over the number at all. zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthlady View Post
    Random is random.

Well actually it isn't since a computer decides the number, but still... you have no influence over the number at all. zero.
    Eh, it isn't any less random than anything else happening, like physical dice throws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weerra View Post
    Eh, it isn't any less random than anything else happening, like physical dice throws.
    Well, actually it kinda is, in theory. A computer can never generate a true random, but a well-generated computer random is impossible to predict as a human being.

If you make a poorly generated random in a program, you can find a pattern if you generate it enough. But that's easily avoided, for example in C++ there's a thing you can do where the computer uses the current time as a sort of "seed" for the random number generated.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

IF you know how random number generation seeds work you would know that it's actually not random.
    If you make a new RNG with a seed of 1 it will give these numbers:
    2, 4, 2, 1, 9, 7, 3
    If you then make a new RNG with the same seed of 1, it will give these numbers:
    2, 4, 2, 1, 9, 7, 3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dassen View Post
    Well, actually it kinda is, in theory. A computer can never generate a true random, but a well-generated computer random is impossible to predict as a human being.
    To add to this statement, please read the following when you have some spare time: http://www.random.org/history/
    It seems like a wall of text, but it's a good read

Also, this page links to something even more hilarious: http://www.rotten.com/library/conspi...ess-your-luck/ (Don't worry. Safe link)
    Which is what happens when you don't have true random numbers

Quote Originally Posted by zyx View Post
    IF you know how random number generation seeds work you would know that it's actually not random.
    If you make a new RNG with a seed of 1 it will give these numbers:
    2, 4, 2, 1, 9, 7, 3
    If you then make a new RNG with the same seed of 1, it will give these numbers:
    2, 4, 2, 1, 9, 7, 3
    Do you really expect a guy who spelled any with an e to understand how a seed works?

Quote Originally Posted by Dassen View Post

If you make a poorly generated random in a program, you can find a pattern if you generate it enough. But that's easily avoided, for example in C++ there's a thing you can do where the computer uses the current time as a sort of "seed" for the random number generated.
    And a dice throw isn't any quantum random either.
    It moves by physics when you shake it, it moves by physics when it rolls around.
    The roll is fully dependent on the speed and direction of the dice and it's surroundings. It is determined from the moment you let it go.
    Random generator seeded from time stamp and some arbitrary outside condition is just as random as this.

Deleted
    Just for the record. It doesn't matter, unless if you re so slow to loot that you forget there is an item there for you

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually i wouldnt say it is, You cannot replicate a dice throw as easily as a seed is replicated (when using the time or another number).

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It moves by physics when you shake it, it moves by physics when it rolls around.
    The roll is fully dependent on the speed and direction of the dice and it's surroundings. It is determined from the moment you let it go.
    Random generator seeded from time stamp and some arbitrary outside condition is just as random as this.
    There actually is a difference between a RNG generator and rolling dice. It is true that the rolling of the dice is determined by physics, but its of a chaotic nature.
    This means that even the slightest alteration of any variable which has an effect of the outcome can drastically change the outcome. This makes it unpredictable.
    A RNG generator is predictable, up to a certain degree.

15+ Year Old Account
    Read up on chaos theory
    The outcome of an actual dice roll cannot be safely predicted because we cannot measure all factors precisely enough to calculate the result.

Quote Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
    Actually i wouldnt say it is, You cannot replicate a dice throw as easily as a seed is replicated (when using the time or another number).
    You can move back in time? Please tell

Deleted
    No it does not matter. xD

10+ Year Old Account
    I realized this myself which is why I didn't mention the example of a dice roll in my post. I was too lazy to come up with a good example of a true, real-life random as well.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home