Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Time for a new PC!

The last couple of years I have been playing WoW and a few other games on my ASUS laptop which ran them fine. But after installing this game I had to do some serious tweaking to get it to even be playable. After I finished I ended up with 18fps on average and 5fps worst case in cities etc... I accepted it as a fact of life until I saw a video of the game in high settings and OH MY GOD what a gorgeous game and it looks so much more fun with out screen lag and low FPS. So I'm delving in to the old pocket book and building a new gaming PC.

This is the build I'm looking at:

I have an ANTEC gaming case and monitor already, so.....

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k
    MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
    GPU: SAPPHIRE Toxic 100312TXSR Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    SSD: Crucial M4 128GB SATA III
    PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 750 v2.3

I am going with an ANTEC 750w PSU. The graphix card and MB are not set in stone but I really like AMD and I will look at an ASUS mb since I've never had an issue with them.

What do you guys think, would this be good for running the game on full settings with killer FPS and getting the most enjoyability out of it?

That will definitely run the game with everything on max with 60fps

Kick ass! I can assemble this for about 800 bucks or so!

Quote Originally Posted by Alanni View Post
    That will definitely run the game with everything on max with 60fps
    $4500 gaming rigs aren't running SWTOR on max with 60 fps. Everything stutters at 30 or less with more than 15 people on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichimarunico View Post
    $4500 gaming rigs aren't running SWTOR on max with 60 fps. Everything stutters at 30 or less with more than 15 people on screen.
    I have been seeing reports of this on SWTOR main forums and find it so disappointing. I can't figure out why though.... sloppy code or just no optimization or what... no reason for it.

buddy just built a 1000$ pc and its runs everything on high at 110 fps so its not a o big pc cant even run it issue. sorry dont want your post making poeple get the wrong impression
    Been gone since 2011, enjoying being back.

Deleted
    Looks great. Got a similar pc myself and running my favorite games on max.

i5-2500
    Asus P8p67
    Asus gtx geforce 580 cu II
    Corsair SSD's @ 60 & 120 gb
    Corsair professional 650W
    2x corsair vengeance 4gb @ 1666 mhz

Going to upgrade my motherboard & cpu when intels new chipset gets cheaper. My wallet is still soar after that $400 gpu.

Are you running your SSDs in a raid-0 config? I hear that makes the game load even faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Omniclass View Post
    buddy just built a 1000$ pc and its runs everything on high at 110 fps so its not a o big pc cant even run it issue. sorry dont want your post making poeple get the wrong impression
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=233714

14,700 posts disagree with you my kind sir.

Deleted
    Yes, but honestly I am not the kind of guy that cares much for that minimal performance boost. Getting ONE ssd was "wow" for me, haha.

14,700 posts disagree with you my kind sir.
    Why are some people able to play the game with high FPS and some not even though they have similar builds...? Do you think some people have their AA set too high or something?

My PC is pretty high-end and I still can't push more than 50 FPS in Warzones. So don't get frightened if it doesn't run too well in SWTOR.
    Playing since 2007.

After some revision I've finalized my build. Here it is.

secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=25958188

Your revised build is almost identical to my PC i built last week.

I get about 80fps in fleet, 110 everywhere else with all settings maxed out including the infamous shadows. I also put 4x AA on through the CCC software you get with your card (your getting same GPU as me)

I get about 30 sec load screens on new planets and near instant going onto my ship.

Fully maxed the game is stunning to look at with the exception of the odd shadow which seems to freak out and look like a set of lego bricks! soon sorts itself out when you start moving though.

Deleted
    I have almost the same CPU, GPU (Sapphire 6750), RAM (8gb corsair vengeange) and SSD and the game looks amazing. Fleet gives me 60-80fps and I never drop under 45fps even in warzones.

Be sure to tune your GPU settings with the Cataclyst drivers since the ingame AA sucks. I can PM you my settings and the game looks really great.
    Last edited by mmocf6b63c9c13; 2012-01-28 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks! PM it to me please!

I don't wanna tell you what to do. But this year as some may know, the new generation of graphics cards are coming out, along with ivy bridge.
    I am doing this my self, and I thought I would share my plan with you. I am not buying any new pc part till these things come out, and I am saving my money, the improvements from what I am seeing so far are going to be awesome and worth the money.

So up to you, maybe save for a couple more months and get a rig that will kick that one in the pants? Up to you. Other then that, good build.

It will take me a few months to get all the money to do this anyways... What's coming out, some DX11 cards?

I don't stutter in crowds, you sure thats not more to do with your connection? I have 15/2 Comcast and the only time I have an issue with the game is that 1/3 loading bar glitch.

I run 40+ at 2560x1440 and I certainly don't have a monster rig, I have an iMac :P
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Ohhh I hated Comcast. Fortunately I moved in to a nicer area of the city a few months ago and they offer Fiber Optic here. I switched to that and get 20u/20d flat.