Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

[Canada] Judge and jury find trio guilty of 1st degree murder

Source: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/shafia-jury...090532874.html

KINGSTON, Ont. - Three members of an Afghanistan-born Montreal family have been found guilty of killing three daughters and a co-wife in what the judge describes as "cold-blooded, shameful murders" resulting from a "twisted concept of honour."

A jury took 15 hours to find Mohammad Shafia, 58, his wife Tooba Yahya, 42, and their son Hamed, 21, each guilty of four counts of first-degree murder in a case so shocking it has riveted Canadians from coast to coast.

Even after the verdict was read, the three denied killing sisters Zainab, 19, Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13, Shafia as well as Rona Amir Mohammad, 52, their father's childless first wife in a polygamous marriage.

Their bodies were found June 30, 2009, in a car submerged in a canal in Kingston, Ont., in a multiple murder the Crown asserted was to avenge the family's outrage because the girls sought teenage freedoms agianst the will of their controlling father and brother.

As the verdicts were being read, Hamed put his head in his hands and hunched over while standing.
    Soon, his mother Tooba started to cry.

When the judge asked if they each wanted to say anything, they one by one declared their innocence.
    "We are not criminal, we are not murderer, we didn't commit the murder and this is unjust," Mohammad said through a translator.

His wife, Tooba, responded: "Your honourable justice, this is not just. I am not a murderer, and I am a mother, a mother."

Their son said in English: "Sir, I did not drown my sisters anywhere."

But the judge was unmoved, and spoke directly to the cultural cloud that has hung over the case since it began.
    "You have each been convicted of the planned and deliberate murder of four members of your family...(A verdict) clearly supported by the evidence presented at this trial," said Judge Robert Maranger.

"It is difficult to conceive of a more despicable, more heinous crime...the apparent reason behind these cold-blooded, shameful murders was that the four completely innocent victims offended your completely twisted concept of honour...that has absolutely no place in any civilized society."

Throughout the judge's statement, Hamed put his head in his hands, while at one point both his mother and father rubbed his back to console him.

The Crown theory was that Shafia, Yahya and Hamed drowned the four victims, placed their bodies in the car, then pushed it into the canal using the family's other vehicle.

The defence had said it was an accident, that they had gone for a joy ride with Zainab driving and accidentally plunged into the canal with Hamed watching, although he didn't call police.

First-degree murder carries an automatic life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years.

Trouble in the wealthy Afghan-Canadian family had been brewing for some time, the Crown alleged.

The Crown painted a picture of a household controlled by a domineering Shafia, with Hamed keeping his sisters in line and doling out discipline when his father was away on frequent business trips to Dubai.

Some of the Shafia children followed the rules and the others didn't. The ones who couldn't be controlled, the Crown said, are now dead.

Rona was not treated much better than an unruly child, court heard. And all any of them wanted was freedom, the Crown said.

Zainab had run away, but that in itself shamed the family, so she was coaxed back with a promise to marry her boyfriend Ammar, the Crown said. The family viewed him as a loser and was not pleased with the relationship, but if she was married she would be Ammar's problem, not theirs, and her behaviour couldn't affect their honor.

Sahar too was dating, though she tried to keep her Christian boyfriend secret from her parents. Condoms were found in her room, as were pictures of her wearing short skirts and shorts, hugging her boyfriend. That clothing caused Shafia to curse Sahar as a whore after her death.

Two months before she was found in the canal, Sahar told her boyfriend's aunt that if her parents found out about her relationship she was "a dead woman."

Geeti was becoming almost impossible to control: skipping school, failing classes, being sent home for wearing revealing clothes and stealing. But her most egregious breach was telling almost every authority figure she encountered that she wanted to be sent to foster care, the Crown said.

There was a family code of silence and Geeti broke that, it was alleged. If the Shafias thought Zainab and Sahar were hard to control, Geeti would be their worst nightmare. For Geeti, the writing was on the wall, the Crown said.
    Rona was Shafia's first wife but, unable to conceive, her status in the Shafia household began eroding as soon as a young Tooba Yahya was brought in as a polygamous wife, court heard.

Shafia beat her and "made life a torture," Rona wrote in a diary. Yahya called her a servant, held onto Rona's passport and would tell her "your life is in my hands," she said.

Rona spent her days wandering the streets, crying, sitting in her room or using payphones to call relatives, she wrote.

Rona, Zainab, Sahar and Geeti died at the tail end of a family trip to Niagara Falls, Ont. They were heading back to Montreal and had stopped in Kingston for the night when tragedy struck.

Zainab secretly took the family's Nissan Sentra, bought used just one day before they left on the trip, and went for a spin with the three others, the family said. They told police that was the last they saw of Zainab.

Hamed would later tell a private investigator of sorts hired by Shafia that he saw the car full of his relatives leave the motel that night and he followed them, concerned for their safety. He followed in the family's Lexus SUV. They ended up at the locks, where Hamed said he rear-ended them accidentally and urged them to turn around.

As he was picking up some pieces of broken headlight, he heard a splash, he said. The car had plunged into the water.
    So, he said, he sounded the horn of the Lexus once as a call for help, and took a rope from the trunk and dangled it in the water, dropping some pieces of headlight where they were later found. Seeing no signs of life, he said he drove straight home to Montreal, calling police only to report an accident he admitted he staged to mask damage to the Lexus.

He never mentioned his dead family members.

The Crown said that story was a "complete fabrication." Really, the girls and Rona never even made it to the motel, they said. They were driven to the canal and killed there, court heard. Why else would Hamed and Shafia have checked into the motel for six people when they were a family of 10, the Crown noted.

In fact, the whole "family vacation" itself was a farce, they said; an integral part of the mass murder plan.

By the time they were heading home, passing through Kingston around 1:30 a.m., the plot was going according to plan, the Crown said. They had left Niagara Falls so late in the day that it was pitch black when they passed through Kingston, then got off the highway at the exit for the locks at Kingston Mills. They had stopped there to use the washroom on the way to Niagara Falls, so if any of the kids or Rona — sleeping soundly in the Nissan — woke up, waiting there wouldn't be suspicious, the Crown said.

Yahya waited in the car with the soon-to-be victims while Shafia and Hamed checked into the motel, leaving their other children there.

When father and son return, Rona and the girls are drowned in one of the several areas of open water, either to the point of unconsciousness or death, the Crown said. The cause of death for all four was drowning.

The Crown had no direct proof to cement that theory, but the idea that they were dead before the car went in the water hangs on a few pieces of evidence. Experts testified that markings on the bottom of the Nissan show it got hung up on the ledge when it first was sent over.

That's why the Lexus was used to push it in, and that's why there were pieces of its head lights at the scene, the Crown said, not because Hamed was there and rear-ended them.

There's also the evidence that makes it seem like nobody tried to escape the car during its plunge into the water or as it submerged in the canal. The driver's window was fully open, nobody was wearing a seat belt, and their bodies were found more or less floating over seats — Zainab and Geeti in the front, Sahar and Rona in the back.

The car was found in the morning around 9. The headlights were off and so was the ignition. The evidence simply does not fit with an accident scenario, the Crown said.

The police certainly didn't think so, and began to treat the deaths as suspicious almost immediately. By the time Shafia, Yahya and Hamed were arrested on July 22, 2009, the case against them included intercepted conversations secretly recorded by police. Comments mostly made by Shafia on those wiretaps provided the foundation for the Crown's "honour killing" theory.

"I say to myself, 'Would they come back to life a hundred times, for you to do the same again,'" Shafia says on one. "That is how hurt I am. Tooba, they betrayed us immensely. They violated us immensely. There can be no betrayal, no treachery, no violation more than this."

"Even if they hoist me up onto the gallows...nothing is more dear to me than my honour," Shafia
    Kinda why I support the death penalty here in Canada, deporting them wouldn't be enough as honor killings are accepted in Afghanistan, and life in prison at the tax payers dime is a waste of money for murderers like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post

Kinda why I support the death penalty here in Canada, deporting them wouldn't be enough as honor killings are accepted in Afghanistan, and life in prison at the tax payers dime is a waste of money for murderers like these.
    but the extra money used for the death penalty isnt a waste? Its more bang for the buck?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    These people are going to get multiple life sentences, maximum length of one count is 25 years, and with 4 victims I'd think that four counts of 1st degree murder would equate to at least 100 years in prison, gonna let a 21 year old sit in a prison cell till the day he dies? They clearly have no remorse over the death of their own family members, and have been clearly guilty from the start. They haven't handed out a sentence yet, but 4 counts of 1st degree murder is 100 years at the maximum sentence, I highly doubt the judge is going to be soft and give them a half duration sentence, they really don't deserve to see the light of day ever again and the courts need to set a precedent that this kind of nonsense won't be put up with.

honor killings, disgusting and gives muslims an awful name.
    ''If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.'' Quoted from-

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy1346 View Post
    honor killings, disgusting and gives muslims an awful name.
    I agree, if i were an innocent muslim i would cringe every time stories like these come up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    but the extra money used for the death penalty isnt a waste? Its more bang for the buck?
    A cheap way of performing the death penalty could simply be: A policeman or a law inforcement officer pulls out a gun, shoots them in the head and we have just saved ourselves 20 years of appeals and millions upon millions of tax-money.
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Elgefar View Post
    A cheap way of performing the death penalty could simply be: A policeman or a law inforcement officer pulls out a gun, shoots them in the head and we have just saved ourselves 20 years of appeals and millions upon millions of tax-money.
    Don't even try to argue this. You will lose. It's been done many times on this forum and I'm tired of arguing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elgefar View Post
    yes, and then they have to pay millions of dollars to those left behind every time someone is wrongfully executed, genius...

Deleted
    Horrible, sends shivers thinking that happened in a family.

Feel sorry for the relatives shamed by them.

Disgusting, prison is too good for people like that. It's bad enough to do that to someone who is supposed to be your friend, or a random stranger, but to your own blood? Absolutely disgusting.

Wish they had a public hanging for these freaks. I would have been there with popcorn in hand. People like this don't deserve life let alone one in prison at my expense.

Beyond sickening.One of the reasons why I don't support religion (not wanting to get sidetracked on that tangent).

The ignition and headlights off are key pieces of information. If they were actually in the scenario of driving, you don't ram the person behind them regardless. You pull up next to them and shake your hand, or even better you use the god damn horn.

Definitely guilty in my eyes. The ignition and headlights were all I needed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ElfinHilon10 View Post
    Beyond sickening.One of the reasons why I don't support religion (not wanting to get sidetracked on that tangent).
    Not really the religion thats the problem, it's how serious some people take it.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    I agree, if i were an innocent muslim i would cringe every time stories like these come up.
    I lol'd. All religion is evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Ah multiculturalism, what wonders you've brought to the civilised world. Imprison them with nothing but bread, water and a concrete bed, then when the sentence is done deport them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, except in this case they'll be deporting a corpse.

Please don't derail this into a religious debate.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, we followed that story for a long time here in Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post

/sigh. Why does everyone state this.

You do realise how much a death sentence costs right? Count in all the appeals and costs and it costs MORE than life in jail. So please, don't spout that bullshit about it 'saving money' with no data to back it up.

OT: The sad thing is that this, along with terrorism, is all people see of Muslims in the media, when there's millions out there living peacefully.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post
    OT: The sad thing is that this, along with terrorism, is all people see of Muslims in the media, when there's millions out there living peacefully.
    Yeah but that isnt news. It is sad though.