Thread: GW2 Peripherals

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

GW2 Peripherals

Guild Wars 2 looks like It will be a movement intensive game in PvE and PvP. This brings up an interesting problem, the ability to activate any of your spells while moving. At any one time a good player should be able to activate all 10 of their skills (and even swap weapons) without having to stop moving. With an average mouse and keyboard this becomes hard, since your mouse will not have 10+ buttons to bind like a MMO mouse and you can not have your fingers on wasd and other spells at the EXACT same time. This would cause a slight pause in movement to cast a spell. I was wondering what everyone's plans on addressing this issue are, and if the solution is just buying more peripherals with MOAR buttons.

10+ Year Old Account

The joystick also has an upcoming date with a grinder, so it can be glued in sideways to make it more ergo.

I actually have the same thing, but it makes me really miss my mechanical keyboard... the mechanical switches are so nice, but the joystick is amazing. Yours seems to have a different joystick, how did you do that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Mif... what the fuck is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Mif... what the fuck is that?
    I'm not mif but its a g13

I generally use 1 - 5, shift + 1 - 5, q, shift q, e, shift e. Both thumb buttons + both shift mouse buttons, mid mouse+shift mid mouse... should be fine, really.
    People that say they don't have enough bindable buttons to move and cast are makin excuses. :P

That....is a beast.
    Do you also play with a rambo style bandanna Mif?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpiece View Post
    Yours seems to have a different joystick, how did you do that?
    That's just a random pic I googled, but mine has the same mod.

Replacing factory thumbstick with one from an Xbox360 controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    I generally use 1 - 5, shift + 1 - 5, q, shift q, e, shift e. Both thumb buttons + both shift mouse buttons, mid mouse+shift mid mouse... should be fine, really.
    the problem with that is you have to temporarily take your fingers off the movement keys, making your character stop moving for a second. In high end pvp I could see this getting you killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    That's just a random pic I googled, but mine has the same mod.

Replacing factory thumbstick with one from an Xbox360 controller.
    thanks!

the problem with that is you have to temporarily take your fingers off the movement keys, making your character stop moving for a second. In high end pvp I could see this getting you killed.
    I've never had an issue with it before, and I've PvP'd as melee.. you can definitely move while using melee attacks.
    You have more than one finger, and you can always shift your finger placement.
    At no point in time do I ever take my fingers off ALL of the movement keys, there's no reason to.
    Also, I'm assuming GW2 will have some kind of mouse movement or autorun like WoW does, so that will help.

I will probably use my mouse to move around and use 1-5 q-t a-f. That is what I used in wow plus my mouse buttons and I think it will work in guild wars but I will have to wait and see how the game plays before I really know for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really tempted to start a project like this.
    The construction I can easily do, but the firmware/pic is a rather steep learning curve for me.
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-01-31 at 05:39 AM.

I'll have 6-0 bound on my Naga with Q/E/R/T for class specific skills.

Razer nostromo + a Razer naga.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm truly surprised that people aren't able to bind 10 spells+weapon swap without extra peripherals

Quote Originally Posted by Rakatashi View Post
    I'm truly surprised that people aren't able to bind 10 spells+weapon swap without extra peripherals
    Well, i can do it just fine, even without a naga and nostromo, but i already have both and it makes it 10x easier to use abilities in swtor, rift and wow.

So why not do the same in GW2?

Deleted
    Razer Naga user reporting in.

I love that mouse. It's just you can't really appreciated it until you try it. I was VERY against Naga (I was using Nostromo as I was more of a keyboard user), but my wife got me one so I just tried it out of curiosoty and I've never looked back - really, it's THAT good.

You will never beat time reactions of a thumb with a keyboard (played a lot of console games so it's kinda working for me even better ;] ).

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Razer Naga user reporting in.

I love that mouse. It's just you can't really appreciated it until you try it. I was VERY against Naga (I was using Nostromo as I was more of a keyboard user), but my wife got me one so I just tried it out of curiosoty and I've never looked back - really, it's THAT good.

You will never beat time reactions of a thumb with a keyboard (played a lot of console games so it's kinda working for me even better ;] ).
    I completely disagree, I own a g13 and a Naga, and I know for a fact that I can press buttons faster on the g13. Why? because your using more than 1 finger on the g13. This allows you to have another finger on your next spell before you even begin casting it.

I used a speed pad for a little while but it was too big for my hands and gave me joint pain. Moved to a slimmer keyboard & Naga mouse. Pretty happy with that setup so far. Most peripherals are seemingly made for giants.

Slightly interested in the new Naga Hex because it seems slimmer than the one I have now.

Deleted
    I completely disagree, I own a g13 and a Naga, and I know for a fact that I can press buttons faster on the g13. Why? because your using more than 1 finger on the g13. This allows you to have another finger on your next spell before you even begin casting it.
    Well.. I still think having most of the binds on a mouse allows better control of a character's movement. Besides, thumb covers from 4 to 6 buttons on Naga, that means that next spell is instant anyway - you just need to shift the weight of your thumb.

Similar to consoles, been playing Soul Calibur and Tekken series pretty frantically, got to the point where I knew every ability's frame count which allowed me to counter anything. I could always tell if my opponent was experienced or not by just taking a look at how he places the thumb over action buttons.