Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    Tell that to a woman living on a $6,000 / year salary, barely making it on $1-2 meals, or possibly even going into soup kitchens to eat, probably on welfare as well. Ultrasounds isn't expensive to you. A lot of the people who *need* abortions due to financial reasons(having a kid is NOT cheap, and generally no one helps pick up the tab), simply can't afford that $60 ultrasound, and there is no good reason why they should. This is a ridiculous bill, that could really ruin peoples lives, and helps literally NO ONE.

Also comparing 1st trimester abortion to murder, is like comparing a man's masturbation to genocide.
    Not to mention if she's trying to get an abortion, she is going to have to drop $500-700 for a chemical one within the first few weeks. And if it takes time for her to get the money together, have the ultrasound, etc, she could easily be farther along and trying to come up with thousands of dollars.
    To quote the great sage Ook Ook, "you can take the derk out of the jib, but you shouldn't put the jib in the derk."

Quote Originally Posted by phenom568 View Post
    No its to show you that you are taking a life. If you have no problem with that then go ahead and have the abortion. Also being poor isn't an excuse for being stupid...and no I'm not calling you stupid.
    Lucky for some of us, we understand that it's only the potential for life, not an actual life. It's more like a virus before it's born as it can't really survive without a host.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissarr View Post
    Absolutely pathetic.

So why are all these guys getting blown up in Iraq and Afghanistan for if it's not to preserve freedoms and freedom of choice etc?
    because this is about morals, this is people arguing whether a fetus is a life and if it counts as murder.
    RIP Steve Jobs. a great man who gave the world great products.

Quote Originally Posted by gneugen View Post
    Lucky for some of us, we understand that it's only the potential for life, not an actual life. It's more like a virus before it's born as it can't really survive without a host.
    It remains in such state for the next 16 years.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

As a Virginian, I think people opposed to this new law are missing a few key points:

1. Cells are just really tiny people.
    2. Tubal pregnancies, failed contraception, rape, etc. don't really happen. They're made up by the liberals to expand their baby killing agenda.
    3. Everyone wants to adopt babies. There just aren't enough to go around.
    4. Poor people aren't really all that poor. They can certainly afford $100 for an ultrasound, and most definitely don't need government funding to help pay for raising these kids if they decide to keep them. It's not like children need food, clothing, or shelter.
    5. We should continue to cut funding for social programs because adoption agencies, the foster care system, and orphanages don't actually cost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    As a Virginian, I think people opposed to this new law are missing a few key points:

2. Tubal pregnancies, failed contraception, rape, etc. don't really happen. They're made up by the liberals to expand their baby killing agenda.
    3. Everyone wants to adopt babies. There just aren't enough to go around.
    4. Poor people aren't really all that poor. They can certainly afford $100 for an ultrasound, and most definitely don't need government funding to help pay for raising these kids if they decide to keep them. It's not like children need food, clothing, or shelter.
    5. We should continue to cut funding for social programs because adoption agencies, the foster care system, and orphanages don't actually cost anything.
    I am sorry, but I don't agree with most points on that list. Maybe valid in the right context, but if you think about them and apply them in all cases they don't hold up at all, mostly talking about points 2-5. Somewhat I feel it's some sort of trolling post or something...

People. Focus. I know this is hard, but please. Abortion is legal in the US - the definition of life is not pertinent to this discussion. That's not being debated. Do you think it would be right to show a mother considering adoption baby pictures of a child growing up before signing the final papers? Or maybe force her to nurse for a week beforehand?

No. It's emotional manipulation. But Adoption is good, so it's completely different, right? No. It's just as, and only as legal as abortion.

The judgement of this shouldn't be based on personal views, but on legal precedent and parallel.

Somewhat I feel it's some sort of trolling post or something...
    There's a difference between trying to make a point via sarcasm and trolling.

Isn't it a responsible decision not to have sex?
    I have to assume that you're not or have never been in a serious relationship. People in a serious relationship have sex a regular basis because 1) Sexual release is healthy, and 2) It keeps a relationship strong. Sure it feels good, but there are other qualities to participating in it on a regular basis.

I do agree with your other points though, and this is why it's very important for people who don't want a baby to use multiple forms of birth control.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    It remains in such state for the next 16 years.
    yeah when do kids stop being a parasite, they are latched to you sucking money and time from you till you kick them out the door at 18, then they come back and leach some till they are 25. :P

There's a difference between trying to make a point via sarcasm and trolling.
    Sorry, just that I've read many that actually write serious opinions without realizing how silly they sound. Sarcasm does shed some light upon the nature of your post, indeed! :P

New law?:

Men must examine their sperm before masturbation, as killing sperm cells is just like killing thousands of tiny people?

Could someone please tell me why Americans want to enable people to make choices and NOT live with the consequences?

Sex is a choice. You can choose not to take part in the REPRODUCTIVE act of our species. If you CHOOSE to do it, you must live with the consequences.

Why in the world would you support abortion? Help someone understand the LOGIC.

(Excluding rape, I am talking about consensual sex obviously)
    Last edited by cadewinegar; 2012-01-31 at 05:16 PM.

Deleted
    So why are all these guys getting blown up in Iraq and Afghanistan for if it's not to preserve freedoms and freedom of choice etc?
    You're deluded if you think your troops are in Afghan and Iraq to preserve "Freedom of choice".

Quote Originally Posted by Bormes View Post
    I'd have to disagree. It was cold hard logic that led Hitler on his conquest. Reason that convinces suicide bombers to commit their acts. Flawed reasoning imo is much more dangerous than trusting ones emotions. I don't think our emotions are something to fear or push aside, they allow us insight into things we are probably actively trying not to think about. One must learn to control their emotions, not ignore them.
    It may be logic that Hitler used to plan his strategy but if you looked at his speeches it was emotion that convinced everyone that committing mass murder was a good thing.

Deleted
    Whenever I read these threads I always worry of the alarming amount of people who seem to tirelessly strive to hold jurisdiction over the wombs of complete strangers, simply because they are women and can procreate. The Anti-Choice crowd is always keen to point out that beyond legal law there is rarely a set line between when a foetus becomes an unborn baby, and yet they're very willing to forget the old "Every sperm is sacred" motto.

Quote Originally Posted by Mowgles View Post
    I have to assume that you're not or have never been in a serious relationship. People in a serious relationship have sex a regular basis because 1) Sexual release is healthy, and 2) It keeps a relationship strong. Sure it feels good, but there are other qualities to participating in it on a regular basis.

I do agree with your other points though, and this is why it's very important for people who don't want a baby to use multiple forms of birth control.
    I have, several actually and have been sexually active in them. But if the girl had gotten pregnant I would have owned up to my responsibility. Plus there are many couples out there who do not have sex till marriage and that makes them a better person than me. But no one is dying on the streets because they aren't having sex, the exact opposite actually. I was actually joking with a friend about a sex diet, where the amount of food you get to eat is based on the amount of times you have sex. I am well aware of its benefits but I am also aware of its consequences.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cadewinegar View Post
    Could someone please tell me why Americans want to enable people to make choices and NOT live with the consequences?

Sex is a choice. You can choose not to take part in the REPRODUCTIVE act of our species. If you CHOOSE to do it, you must live with the consequences.

Why in the world would you condone abortion? Help someone understand the LOGIC.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that aborting a blob of cells is completely morally neutral and if you have the money for it you could do it every week for all I care.
    /flameshield

Quote Originally Posted by cadewinegar View Post

Why in the world would you condone abortion? Help someone understand the LOGIC.

Because as someone said in this thread, Personal responsibility is stupid

Sorry, just that I've read many that actually write serious opinions without realizing how silly they sound. Sarcasm does shed some light upon the nature of your post, indeed! :P
    Yes, I keep hoping I don't need to mark something as "satire" or "sarcasm". I forget (or more accurately don't like to consider) that these days it's basically impossible to come up with something so absurdly right wing that no one would actually mean it.