225. This poll is closed
  • For

195 86.67%
  • Against

30 13.33%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted

That picture is all I need to prove people that there's nothing wrong in gay marriage

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't. People can do whatever they want, as long as it isn't detrimental to others. Get married, raise a kid or two. Or don't.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't care. It's none of my business, so why should I say otherwise? Same-sex marriage doesn't hurt anyone.

Should every non-Christian marriage stop being called "marriage"?
    Keep The Beats!

Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    I think we just need to change the terms entirely. Call the legal "marriages" a "union", and from there you can go to your religion of choice and have that relationship dubbed a "marriage". Or if you're not religious, don't. No difference to you. Problem solved.
    FC: 4441-9848-5442 (If you want any gen 1-6 starter, PM me or ask on steam)

10+ Year Old Account
    All this issue does is distract from real issues. politicians love this bullshit. It lets them get away with being useless tools.

Legalize drugs, let gay people marry, disband the MPAA, and lets get on to shit that actually matters.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia View Post
    So all of a sudden atheists who have married are no longer in a "marriage"? Just a union? That won't work...

People have a serious attachment with denying people a WORD.
    The funny part is, the word already has two meanings.

Most religions, you can go find a priest/minister/whatever, take your oaths before God, and you're married according to the church -- but unless you fill out a marriage license, you're not according to the state.

Similarly, you can go to a justice of the peace and sign a marriage license, but not swear any oaths before God, and you're married according to the state, but not according to the church.

Given the second case can exist between a man and a woman anyway, I see no particular problem with it existing for a gay couple equally.

People will say "it's in the laws, which aren't christian"

But then I ask.... Find me one atheist who is anti-gay marriage.

Personally, if marriage is something that is under government control, it shouldn't be able to have a church perform it without those churches paying taxes to the state like all non-christians do when they get married.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykie View Post
    bible says marriage is for men & women
    Okay, seriously, stop trying to pretend to be an idiot Christian to make them look bad. We have enough of those kinds of people already. And sadly, some people fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Pepsihoof View Post
    I think we just need to change the terms entirely. Call the legal "marriages" a "union", and from there you can go to your religion of choice and have that relationship dubbed a "marriage". Or if you're not religious, don't. No difference to you. Problem solved.
    I think they should just let it all be called "marriage" from the get-go. Of all the problems in the world, why the heck don't they just legalize this and force people to move on?
    Keep The Beats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strykie View Post
    bible says marriage is for men & women
    It also says that snakes can talk.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Pepsihoof View Post
    ...Why does it MATTER if their thing is now called a "union"? What just changed for them? The entire purpose of changing the word is just so people can tell what the difference is with the only difference being religious values. If the church is upset about it being marriage, say that a union is something entirely different that's only benefits and legally contracting people togethor. What changed behind the atheists? A word? If that word can be changed and make a lot of people less upset, I say go for it.
    Heh because marriage isn't only a religious institution, it's also legal, and in my opinion merely religious marriages shouldn't be legally regarded then.

How doesn't anyone even understand separate but equal either? History, history.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

I think they should just let it all be called "marriage" from the get-go. Of all the problems in the world, why the heck don't they just legalize this and force people to move on?
    While we all agree with that, I think one problem is religious people don't want their kids to think gay marriage is on the same level as straight marriage on a religious level. If we could just differentiate the two that issue would be solved. What difference does it make? A word. To save that much trouble by just dubbing it another name... Come on, let's just do it ffs.

I'm against it. Gay marriage doesn't make sense to me because homosexuality doesn't make sense too me. I realize sexual preference has no effect on intelligence, capability, talent, etc. and that it doesn't automatically make a person insane or a deviant or whatever. It's just the fact that, to me, it's common sense a person should not be attracted to a person of the same sex. I realize this doesn't address the issues homosexual couples have about their legal connection. However, I'm afraid if we accept gay marriage as the solution that there won't be anymore room for the discussion about whether it's the common sense thing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if anyone who associates "marriage" with religion knows the history of marriage, and how it dates back before the beginning of their belief. Two people would simply have to consider their selves husband and wife (though there were also homosexual couples even back then, go figure?) in order to be considered married. No church. No priest or clergy of any kind. No public display of celebration, just acknowledgment.

Btw, a civil union =/= This is just like the Separate but Equal act from Plessy v Ferguson. I take it you guys are willing to defend that Separate but Equal was fair too? Because you're defending it's inbred cousin.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    So tonight, something very important is being set in motion here in Washington. The State Senate has passed the same-sex marriage bill, and it will now go though all of the cycles that a bill would have to go through to become a law. Personally, I love the fact that our world is becoming more civilized and reasonable - and that old rusty laws are being thrown out in place of the new, more reasonable ones; But I also know people who don't... So what's your stance on the same-sex marriage 'battle' that is going on? Are you for it or against it and why?

(If it matters any, I'm not gay)
    How does allowing gay people marry each other makes our world more civilized and reasonable? I don't see logic behind this statement.

If gay people love each other let them just live together - why marry? Oh, they want same tax returns? Or some kind of benefits? So may be lets just equalize benefits for marrying and not?

It has been proven that same sex sexually desires is mental disorders by M. H. Erik Erikson - american psychologist from 40 years ago. And it can be cured.

Whats wrong with marrying your own parents? What if you really love them - but you still will adopt child, as gay couple. This then should be pretty normal.

Lastly, from biological point of view - there are some cases when same sex animals have sex with each other for enjoyment - but it is an exemption and in no case as common practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia View Post
    Heh because marriage isn't only a religious institution, it's also legal, and in my opinion merely religious marriages shouldn't be legally regarded then.

How doesn't anyone even understand separate but equal either? History, history.
    I never said that marriage came from religion. Don't assume things. I'm saying let's just split the two apart. I don't think atheists would care, but some religious people might because some religions have religious backstory to marriages and it being called that way. Atheists don't have a big book that calls it marriage, so it probably has a lot less value. Christians, Jewish people, etc, they do. They would probably be more obliged to care about it, even if its for "traditional" purposes.

Seriously, let's just change the LETTERS in a WORD and we fix so many bucking problems.

I just want to get this straight. Yes, marriage as a concept came before many religions. But some of those religions have a history behind marriage now. The church, for example. It now treats marriages as blessed by God. As such, they may be more obliged to want to keep it that way, even if it's just due to religious traditions. Let's just change the name and that's half the work done.
    Last edited by Chip Zvarri; 2012-02-02 at 05:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they want a nation divided on trivial matters and not focused on how badly they are getting fucked by their elected officials.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    So I find myself torn on this subject.

Am I homosexual, no.
    Am I religious, no.
    Do I have anything against homosexuals, no.

I just feel it would cause less conflicts if the religious nuts and the homosexuals came to a compromise (Domestic Partnership for example) instead of a minority claiming they are oppressed by the majority. Its the majority, of course it will oppress you, you either figure a way around it, get over it, or join it.
    I am all for two consenting homosexual adults to have all the rights and privileges (taxes, next of kin, etc) that two consenting heterosexual adults would have.

What I have an issue with, is calling it Marriage. In California, we tend to call it a Domestic Partnership.
    You can still call your spouse, your husband/wife etc, but the actual term Married vs. Partners is what I have a issue with.

Marriage is typically associated with heterosexual couples being joined in a religious ceremony.

So why not let the religious nuts, homophobic heterosexuals, or the regular heterosexuals who just see marriage as a commitment between man and woman, have the term Marriage, and coin your own term for it?

Just my .02 on the subject.