Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Going through GW1 I am actually looking forward to get my hands on some books with GW lore.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    Just finished Edge of Destiny and getting Ghost of Ascalon next week! EoD was a pretty solid read, i'm hoping GoA is the same
    I think youll like Ghosts of Ascalon alot better the characters are not as overpowered as the guild Destiny's Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    I haven't read Edge of destiny but aren't those characters on the book cover in Guild wars 2?
    Yes, they're the guides of your personal story and will likely play a very large part in the lore of GW2.
    I liked the characters, particularly Caithe. Thought she was written brilliantly.

Problem with WoW's lore is they never finish a story and then randomly start a new one.

*cough* lillian voss cough* *koltira* cough**every horde leader* cough*

Seriously... what 2 years of cataclsym and we don't even have a model for galywix. Instead we have a strange tradeprince with no lore in his palace.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Problem with WoW's lore is they never finish a story and then randomly start a new one.

*cough* lillian voss cough* *koltira* cough**every horde leader* cough*

Seriously... what 2 years of cataclsym and we don't even have a model for galywix. Instead we have a strange tradeprince with no lore in his palace.
    One of the things that really got me is their own admission that they just don't care that much anymore....Neptulon. Basically giving up on one of the elemental princes! I was disgusted by their attitude towards their own lore tbh.

"We've decided for now that the Vashj'ir quest line along with the Throne of the Tides dungeon does a pretty good job of finishing the Neptulon story."
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2151656030

End off topic rant

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    One of the things that really got me is their own admission that they just don't care that much anymore....Neptulon. Basically giving up on one of the elemental princes! I was disgusted by their attitude towards their own lore tbh.

"We've decided for now that the Vashj'ir quest line along with the Throne of the Tides dungeon does a pretty good job of finishing the Neptulon story."
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2151656030

End off topic rant
    How was throne of the tides not part of the story in cataclysm? Cataclysm =/= all about deathwing, it equals the cause and effect of deathwing.

However deathwings sundering = horde and alliance fighting more?

/boggle. Just their excuse because they can't keep their promises.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

How was throne of the tides not part of the story in cataclysm? Cataclysm =/= all about deathwing, it equals the cause and effect of deathwing.

Yup...it all comes back to the old gods...and they just pissed all over it. The Abyssal Maw raid could have linked the 2 beautifully, old gods and DW. But nope, fire is cooler. Great basis for decisions that.

The Guild Wars franchise has a really well-fleshed out lore. They put a lot of effort into their stories.

Kind of OT (sorry OP)

But do the 2 Guild Wars books have much lore leading into GW2? Or is it primarily based on GW1 lore?

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    Kind of OT (sorry OP)

But do the 2 Guild Wars books have much lore leading into GW2? Or is it primarily based on GW1 lore?
    Your personal story is centered on bringing the members of Destiny's Edge back together.
    So yes
    Ghosts of Ascalon is about, well, Ascalon. In that sense it's centered on what happened in prophecies, and tells you a lot about what happened back then, but it's still every much set in the GW2 timeline.
    You can't just take a knife and separate GW1 and GW2 lore, nor should you really. It's just the same world and lore, 250 years later.

They both provide an in-depth look into the world of Tyria; it's people's, its politics, its places, its divisions, its history. Well worth reading both

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Your personal story is centered on bringing the members of Destiny's Edge back together.
    So yes
    Ghosts of Ascalon is about, well, Ascalon. In that sense it's centered on what happened in prophecies, and tells you a lot about what happened back then, but it's still every much set in the GW2 timeline.
    You can't just take a knife and separate GW1 and GW2 lore, nor should you really. It's just the same world and lore, 250 years later.

They both provide an in-depth look into the world of Tyria; it's people's, its politics, its places, its divisions, its history. Well worth reading both
    Thanks Squirrel, I'll pick up both on Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    Thanks Squirrel, I'll pick up both on Amazon
    Cool
    As I mentioned earlier they're both very cheap on digital download.

part of the problem was there was almost no interaction with neptulon. yes he was part of the last boss fight in TotT but aside from that I dont recall more than maybe 1 or 2 quests that even mentioned him let alone involved him. Raggy's been around for a long time and there was the whole firelands dailys to build up even more tention between the hero's and him. Al'akir seemed a bit phoned in as well but at least you ran into his lieutenant's a couple times throughout uldum and were part of 2 different instances so there was a bit of lore interaction there in why we went in and faced him. Therazane we interacted alot with in deepholm, I recall wishing I could make my character toe the ground nervously when you meet her and she mentions the death of her daughter (last boss of maradon if you didnt know).
    Reguardless Therazane felt like a complete storyline, raggy felt like a completed storyline, Al'akir... well if you squint a bit you could say its complete. Neptulian? he felt like more of a driveby cameo with a thread of lore dangeling off the back end to tease us. Left as it is it almost feels like the devs were planing out cata and said "Ok we've told and wraped up the story of the 3 elemental lords quite nicely." and then dev 2 says "wait wern't there 4 lords?" after colective swearing they slapped neptulian into a dungeon as a band-aid with the promise of a raid to do more and then ran out of time to do the raid.

Who is John Galt?

Yes, the lore is nice. It is more "mature" than the WoW lore, with a bit less of clichés. I personally didnt like the GW2 books, but my GF is pretty fond of them. I like the fact that they at least try to make and consistent and compact world, they have no problem to wipe out a whole race and their villains are somewhat more believable than the usual ones. But as at every game, the idea is big, but the space to realize it is smaller, so inside the game, it is not as visible as I would like it to be. In comparision to other games, I would say it is a good, solid medium quality lore, with a huge potential.
    My wife came to me and asked: "What have you done to the poor cat? She is half dead..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there any particular order for the two books, or can I read them in what order I want? Because I see that some of you read the Edge of Destiny first, and then Ghosts of Ascalon. But I thought that Ghosts of Ascalon was the first of the two, and bought it for my iPad.
    Have read around 5 chapters, and I'm loving it thus far.
    Last edited by trakbob; 2012-02-03 at 07:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trakbob View Post
    Is there any particular order for the two books, or can I read them in what order I want? Because I see that some of you read the Edge of Destiny first, and then Ghosts of Ascalon. But I thought that Ghosts of Ascalon was the first of the two, and bought it for my iPad.
    Have read around 5 chapters, and I'm loving it thus far.
    chronologically its SoS, EoD, and GoA

theres a few references in GoA to the events of EoD (even tho it was written first) but they do explain things a bit, you see a few people from edge in ghost too so i guess reading edge is best
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    I see. Well, I cba to stop reading GoA now, so I'll just have stick with it, and read EoD right after. SoS can't be found on iTunes though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see. Well, I cba to stop reading GoA now, so I'll just have stick with it, and read EoD right after. SoS can't be found on iTunes though.
    SoS isnt out yet, ETA august 2012
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Not out till August according to amazon