Poll: "Fat Tax", Are You For or Against?

Page 1 of 48
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"Fat Tax", Are You For or Against?

http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcou...5_fat-tax.html

I personally support it, and hope it spreads to other countries. God knows we in the USA could benefit from it
    http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...icans-falling/
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

It's nobody's business what I eat (as long as it's not people) or how fat I want to be. I bet you were freaking out when SOPA/ACTA tried to take your internet away.

So stay the fuck away from my donuts. -.-

in b4 US-vs-Euro argument.
    Last edited by Siq1ne; 2012-02-04 at 11:21 PM.

We tried that in the US before. It was the "snack tax", and was used on food items not "nutritionally valuable". That didn't last long. At all. And it won't happen again. Government dictating what we can eat will only end in a very, very bad way.

This would be slightly different it if were accompanied by a lessened cost for healthcare, but because of the way the healthcare industry in the US is (corporate greed, no regulations), this would fail outright due to the double dip effect. And it would likely send our economy into a downward spiral into which it wouldn't recover for a very long time.

i'm for it. use that tax money to send food to people who aren't eating at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Quote Originally Posted by Siq1ne View Post
    It's nobody's business what I eat (as long as it's not people) or how fat I want to be. I bet you were freaking out when SOPA/ACTA tried to take your internet away.

So stay the fuck away from my donuts. -.-
    It's our business when someone's obesity causes them to get diabetes or makes them otherwise ill and our taxes have to pay to take care of them.

Deleted
    Against, it's not for any government to tell people what they can or cannot eat.

Totally for. In the UK the NHS and tax payer has to pay hundreds of millions for these fatties and their crap choice of lifestyle, and its a drain on resources, and time for people who truly need those facilities.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    im for it, anything to discourage people from eating fast food constantly and actually pick up a salad or some fruit is a good thing.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Deleted
    i find it hard to agree with really, i would like to say yes, but we pay enough taxes in the UK, i dont think people want to pay anymore :P

The government doesn't care for you, they care for your money.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    well, we just got fat taxes in denmark. let me put it this way. if you buy soda, not alot but to a degree where the costs of it, digs a little hole in your monthly budget. we used to pay 4DKK for a ½ liter of a very cheap soda. now we pay 6DKK, thats almost 1 euro. i can see that it will prolly decrease the rising number of fat people (sorry i dont know how to spell the fancy word they use in TV.).

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as most fat people disgust me, especially where I live, so obnoxious and use being fat as an excuse to park in handi-cap spots...terrible shit. It's no ones business to tell them what they can and can't do with their bodies, if you wanna be fat, unhealthy, and a slob by all means go ahead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sooooo for it. Dont be fat, work out, stop being lazy.

When a wild forum troll appears

Quote Originally Posted by Majik8ball View Post
    http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcou...5_fat-tax.html

I personally support it, and hope it spreads to other countries. God knows we in the USA could benefit from it
    http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...icans-falling/
    I do not suppotr any government telling it's citizens what they can and cannot do with their bodies. It will do no good eaither, look at ciggarets they have huge taxes and the rate of new smokers is rising. Education works better then Regulation. Showing people that healthy food can taste as good unhealthy food is the key. People peceive that healthly = no flavor. That is what needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
    Government dictating what we can eat will only end in a very, very bad way.
    Dictating what we eat is very different than discouraging via taxes. If you really want it bad enough, you can still get it. It's not illegal, it's just discouraged.

I'm a fatty and I like fatty foods. But I still think this is a good idea. But it needs to be done right. They charge a fat tax. The money generated from that fat tax should be used to provide healthcare to Americans. There, so we have free healthcare for many Americans, at the same time causing less demand for that healthcare due to better eating habits.

Incidentally, I also like the idea of a luxury tax - a tax on expensive luxuries for the sake of reducing taxes on necessities. It would help bring back a middle class. I think taxes should be placed in such a way that people who need things don't pay as much, but people who just want things do. And it's not like this wouldn't affect me, I just think it'll help reduce poverty levels. Just like this (on topic) would reduce healthcare strain and people could be insured. Lots of taxes should be shifted to different sources.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if they added a tax for those with eating disorders. Go go Anorexic and Bulimic Taxes!
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    against u can't tell people what to eat if anything tax the people who make it. no different than censoring the internet as u could say people who spend all their time online are unhealthy.

Dr.Pepper is made from fairy tears. Pokemon IGN: Josh FC: 0662-4407-8552

Quote Originally Posted by coldfiredragon View Post
    I do not suppotr any government telling it's citizens what they can and cannot do with their bodies. It will do no good eaither, look at ciggarets they have huge taxes and the rate of new smokers is rising. Education works better then Regulation. Showing people that healthy food can taste as goos unhealthy food is the key. People peceive that healthly = no flavor. That is what needs to change.
    No, the problem is that healthy = more money. Yes, healthy food cost more than crappy food. It's why ramen diets exist. The foods that are best for you are seldom the ones that you find on sale or cheap to begin with. Education doesn't help. We know what food is healthy and what isn't. We know healthy food can be tasty. The government should provide incentive to deviate from our unhealthy diets. They aren't telling us what we cannot do, but what we should not do. Huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Totally for. In the UK the NHS and tax payer has to pay hundreds of millions for these fatties and their crap choice of lifestyle, and its a drain on resources, and time for people who truly need those facilities.
    So what about the people who aren't "fatties"? Why should they have to pay extra because other people don't know how to eat a balanced diet or get enough exercise?

How about give benefits to healthy and fit people.