Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What's Blizzard's logic behind beta invites?

I saw the 100k invites to NA accounts and was in high hopes of getting a beta invite (being that I paid for the 12 months of WoW during blizzcon). Look on my account....no invite. I tell some of my friends on vent that Blizzard sent out D3 beta invites and my friend, who has not payed for WoW since September, gets a beta invite over all my other friends that are still subbed till October 2012. Now wheres the logic in that? I know some will say that's the way they're inviting people and that I should stop complaining, but all I want to know is what's their logic behind this?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've played all of their games since the original Starcraft and have had a subscription to WoW since launch day to present and have never gotten a beta invite to anything.

The logic? There isn't logic, it's just random. Some people get lucky and keep getting beta invites, others don't. Such is the nature.

It isn't completely random though. There is a reason why you put your system specifications in when opting in for a beta invites.

I've played World of Warcraft for a LONG time, and I've never gotten a beta invite to anything. It's why I signed up for the one-year account. I wanted to get into the MOP beta. It was my understanding that committing to one year of WoW doesn't mean you'll get a Diablo III beta invite. You'll just get the game for free when it's released. But you WILL get a MOP beta invite.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

I've been playing since beta and I have never received a beta for WoW. The only time I got a beta invite, it was for Starcraft 2. Funny thing about getting that invite was I got it three days AFTER the beta ended. -_- GG Blizz lol

They just need to release the game now that I think about it...screw beta!

Why should people who subscribe to WoW be more entitled to play Diablo 3 than people who don't play WoW? I don't like WoW but I am a huge Diablo fan and I am super stoked for Diablo 3. No one person deserves to be in the Beta more than another. It's random, as it should be.

The answer to this is the same as to why I haven't received a piece of loot in 5 weeks of LFR.

RNG.

10+ Year Old Account
    RNG is the beta invite logic with blizzard, has always been (except for the "few" people who did the annual pass for MOP).
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Beta invites are usually assigned based on testing needs of the game's systems/operational teams. Things they need to test that we don't necessarily think of:

Operating systems

Video cards
    Sound cards
    Chip sets
    ...anything hardware really.

Geographic locations
    Time zones (peak load times)
    ...etc

So they'll usually pick people based on filling appropriate sized pools matching what they are testing. When they get closed to launching, they'll start focusing more on testing the infrastructure they have in place and then player selection gets a little more random.

Don't be too disappointed for not being selected in the latest round of invites. The content available to play is very small. It's an hour or so of game time to finish all the content. Not enough to get a real appreciation of what the classes can do. It's like leveling to 7-8 in WoW, if that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    I've played all of their games since the original Starcraft and have had a subscription to WoW since launch day to present and have never gotten a beta invite to anything.

The logic? There isn't logic, it's just random. Some people get lucky and keep getting beta invites, others don't. Such is the nature.

It isn't completely random though. There is a reason why you put your system specifications in when opting in for a beta invites.
    I feel your pain my friend. Been playing wow since launch, and have gotten no beta love from blizz ever. However, a guildie that has sold and re-sold his account several times(and started playing at the end of wrath) got a beta invite this weekend. I want to punch him...
    What doesn't kill you, only makes you stranger

Are you even signed up under blizzards beta opt in program? If not thats probably why you havent gotten invited. I've never gotten invited to a beta for wow but have gotten in early in SC2 and D3. Like they said above its completely random, and they will select randomly from different systems with certain specs to make sure they can run their games on as many machines as possible.

It definately does suck not seeing an invite though. I'd rather just wait til the game comes out though as I am already sick of the first 2 hours of diablo 3 xD

Your friend not playing wow => more time for D3 beta.

;D

But in all seriousness, RNG. (With a few exceptions, press etc.)

hmmm im pretty lucky than....i got into the sc2 beta and cataclysm beta and diablo 3 beta....sry dude....better luck next time (:

Ive been playing wow since vanilla. I've yet to get a beta invite for anything. Pisses me off.

RNG + they wanted to server test Diablo 3, as far as I remember the blue post about it, I.E they want people with LOW latency to test i.e Americans(north americans)
    so yeh. thats why ;P.

10+ Year Old Account
    The invites are random.

They needed 100k new people to stress the servers. I would be willing to bet at MIDNIGHT (the day of release) Over 5 million gamers will try to connect to battle.net and try to play diablo3. These tests are needed. They are not for previewing the game. They are for fixing the game.

Deleted
    As said, RNG is RNG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeerus View Post
    I've been playing since beta and I have never received a beta for WoW.
    playing since beta.. never received beta? lolwut?

OT: Account open since 2005, never once closed. I have all the expansions and year pass, and i have never been invited to a single beta event. I watched my friends who had quit for 5-6 months before the launch of BC and Wrath get invites around me. Feels bad man, yes I do think I deserve beta invites to all the Blizzard games because of my track record.... and yes I've told them that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuj View Post
    playing since beta.. never received beta? lolwut?

OT: Account open since 2005, never once closed. I have all the expansions and year pass, and i have never been invited to a single beta event. I watched my friends who had quit for 5-6 months before the launch of BC and Wrath get invites around me. Feels bad man, yes I do think I deserve beta invites to all the Blizzard games because of my track record.... and yes I've told them that.
    So you think you deserve something over other people just because you've been a loyal customer? A beta isn't some kind of prize or reward you get for having a good "track record." It's a test. And when it comes down to it, your track record really doesn't matter when it comes to testing the game. Everybody is on an equal playing field, and I can't see a good reason why people should feel more entitled to something just because they have given Blizzard more money than another person has.