Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thats what I'm talking about! Multiple genres and such news! I know this is primarily a WoW news site (thats why I come here, derp) But seeing a bit of variety thrown into the mix is awesome! Thanks Chaud. (Not to discredit Boub, you rascal you, I know you do it too!)

Quote Originally Posted by ElmoMcBeastly View Post
    Actually, it's more like Valve suing id for trying to poach the Team Fortress name. DOTA is strictly a Blizzard thing. Valve has never used this trademark before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahska View Post
    Not at all like that, Valve owns Team fortress they don't own DOTA
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post
    DOTA started out as a Fan-made Warcraft 3 mod and Valve was nowhere in the picture when it came out. I really can't see Valve winning this, especially if Blizzard's Warcraft 3 World Editor was used to make the original DOTA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grievuuz View Post
    Totally, because Team Fortress was totally a name that was originally given to a mod from a blizzard game, yeah, I see, completely the same situation.

No but Team Fortress was totally a community total conversion mod for an id software game called Quake. It's the exact same situation, only that id software doesn't claim ownership on community created stuff, like Blizzard does if you read between the lines.

Anyway somehow Team Fortress turned to be trademarked by Valve and noone is complaining. Blizzard could have trade marked the name years ago, Valve was first however.

Discussion weather it's right to trademark something that's been created by the community is really semantics. The only person(s) that have something to say are the original authors of the modification, not Blizzard.
    Last edited by F-Minus; 2012-02-11 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraiki View Post
    but the community didn't develop it, guinso,icefrog nad eul did...
    Two of those are against valve trademarking it.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Minus View Post

Discussion weather it's right to trademark something that's been created by the community is really semantics. The only person(s) that have something to say are the original authors of the modification, not Blizzard.
    Most of the people who worked with dota, except frog and his team, are against valve.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2012-02-11 at 03:25 PM.

This is a WoW forum yet everyone talks about Valve, Blizzard, DOTA 2, Blizzard Dota, some even about Team Fortress 2 :S

Talk about the WoW game damnit!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    The ignorance of some posters in this thread is tremendous. Trademarking DotA is not a good idea, at all. Blizzard is completely right that it should remain the public domain, since that gives everyone (Even you and I.) a fair shot at using the idea. Not to mention that the trademark would be intruding on Blizzard's ip, when DotA is associated to their company and is a product made from Blizzard's tools and game, and not with the original creator (Who is not even the one developing DOTA 2 for Valve.).

As others have already said, this is a dickish move from Valve. Blizzard have let the DotA name be in the public domain for several years and allowed the creators to monetize the mod, despite that Blizzard have control over all the mods done in their map editors. Now Valve are going to take control over the brand by trademarking it and therefore having full control over the name and the franchise. They must not simply win this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how you can side with Valve on this one. DOTA was made with the World Editor so it pretty much belongs to them, no matter who actually developed the map. The fact that Icefrog or whoever else works for Valve is really irrelevant in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Prothall View Post
    Blizzard didn't tell you any such thing. They told you "pay for one year of WoW access, and you'll get a free copy of Diablo 3 when it's released, and guaranteed access to the MoP beta". That's it. Whether D3 releases tomorrow, June 1, or December 31, you will get:

1) one year of WoW access,
    2) free D3, and
    3) guaranteed access to the MoP beta.

Here, since you won't believe me, is the text straight from WoW's website:

(Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3767193)

See? "when the game launches". "future announcements regarding the launch dates of these bonuses". That's all they ever claimed. And since we STILL don't have a release date for D3, you thinking you'd be playing it now is your mistake, not Blizzard's.

(This is, of course, putting aside the fact that for those people that would otherwise not be playing WoW any more, but that signed up for the annual pass just to get free D3, Blizzard is making those people pay $180 ($15 per month for one year) to get a free copy of a $60 game.)

So it's your own fault for assuming something that a simple check of Blizzard's website would show is completely untrue. No one is to blame here but you.
    Fun fact ... Blizzard changed the text of the annual pass post after they postponed D3. Originally it was "Download the digital version free when the game launches EARLY next year." Now it's just "when the game launches" ... for all we know it can launch Q1 2032.

---------- Post added 2012-02-11 at 04:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Moonblood View Post
    If you think its false advertising, Sue them ?
    There is no point in that ... you can just cancel annual pass for breach of contract from Blizzard. No hard feelings.
    Last edited by Repefe; 2012-02-11 at 03:48 PM.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Fun fact ... Blizzard changed the text of the annual pass post after they postponed D3. Originally it was "Download the digital version free when the game launches EARLY next year." Now it's just "when the game launches" ... for all we know it can launch Q1 2032.

---------- Post added 2012-02-11 at 04:47 PM ----------

There is no point in that ... you can just cancel annual pass for breach of contract from Blizzard. No hard feelings.
    There wasn't a release date given when the offer came out (estimated release dates are NOT final), so technically you can't.

---------- Post added 2012-02-11 at 05:02 PM ----------

Blizzard will win. Valve has no legal ground. You can't file a trademark when another party has already made products from the thing you want to TM.
    Last edited by mmoc4797852bd6; 2012-02-11 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by belgicanofl View Post
    There wasn't a release date given when the offer came out (estimated release dates are NOT final), so technically you can't.
    How do you read game launches early next year as estimate release date ? There is a reason Blizz silently removed that clause from the contract.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, it's 2012 now, they cant let the "early next year" stay there because that would mean 2013. They had to change it.

Deleted
    You can cancel annual pass. I don't know what punishment awaits those who does beside not getting free DIII + MoP beta inv. My friend signed annual pass in the first day. I said him not to do it. But he can be such a moron sometimes. Not a bad guy but that kind of who sees a shiny mount and pays for it in an instant without even thinking. Yeah, that annaul pass mount made him pay this time. He was so proud of himself and showed me the mount every day ˘˘. Little bit later SW:TOR came out and he cancelled annual pass instantly without thinking again. He must be blessed with super intelligence... He didn't talk me about circumstances of cancellation. I guess he didn't even read the whole contract. So at least its possible to do at the price of free D3 and MoP beta inv + other unknown things.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Dude, it's 2012 now, they cant let the "early next year" stay there because that would mean 2013. They had to change it.
    They didn't change it ... they removed it because it's early 2012 and there is no D3.

Those LoL guides kinda suck. They are barely guides to begin with, its just 'get these runes, these masteries and ow here are your ability's eventho you can see those ingame. A guide should teach you something, tell you hints and tricks. These are barely a summary. WoW classguides dont just have a talent calculator and a BiS gearlist either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot View Post
    Not sure how you can side with Valve on this one. DOTA was made with the World Editor so it pretty much belongs to them, no matter who actually developed the map. The fact that Icefrog or whoever else works for Valve is really irrelevant in this case.
    Blizzard didn't make DOTA they made warcraft 3. Unless DOTA 2 is still using the models from warcraft 3 blizz has no claim to it. Icefrog owns the name because he created the mod which is DOTA 2. As many have said blizz didn't care about DOTA at all, but DOTA 2 could rival Starcraft in terms of tourney dollars which is why we are getting blizzard DOTA. If valve trademarks the name blizz has to name their game something else which means it will be harder to sell it for tourneys because people won't make the connection. Why blizzard didn't trademark the name years ago is beyond me and that's probably why they are upset now realizing they are the last dog to the bowl. Claiming to want it to be "community use" is a joke because they know they can't copyright it now so they don't want anyone else to either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by F-Minus View Post
    No but Team Fortress was totally a community total conversion mod for an id software game called Quake. It's the exact same situation, only that id software doesn't claim ownership on community created stuff, like Blizzard does if you read between the lines.

Anyway somehow Team Fortress turned to be trademarked by Valve and noone is complaining. Blizzard could have trade marked the name years ago, Valve was first however.

Valve hired the Team Fortress team. They do that a lot, actually - Counter-Strike, Turtle Rock Studios (Left 4 Dead team), Team Fortress, etc... they see talent and go out and hire them.

It's pretty awesome.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    It's impossible for Vavle to win, cuz originally the game was Blizzard's idea.

Deleted
    One proof for Blizzard being greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    How do you read game launches early next year as estimate release date ? There is a reason Blizz silently removed that clause from the contract.

There was never any "clause". Release dates change. If you bought the one year pass to jut get D3, then you have no idea how to manage your money, nor can you spot a good deal. As been stated to you many times in this thread, this deal was for people that planned on playing WoW for the year, without taking a break. Not someone that was looking to score a "free" copy of the game, then quit WoW while they waited for MoP to be released.

As for the release date of D3 being pushed back, I'm glad. I want the game to be as close to perfect and not be shoved out the door unfinished like a certain MMO that was pushed out before christmas just to make the season.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Valve hired the Team Fortress team. They do that a lot, actually - Counter-Strike, Turtle Rock Studios (Left 4 Dead team), Team Fortress, etc... they see talent and go out and hire them.

It's pretty awesome.
    Same here.

Valve hired the ORIGNAL creator (Eul) of Defense of the Ancients AND the current long term developer (IceFrog) who made dota what it is today.
    People saying Valve has no grounds and Blizzard is right are simply misinformed and/or have no clue.

Also,
    Two of the developers that were involved with the original DotA game filed to block Valve's application, which is still an ongoing case.
    is wrong. That'd be one developer (Guinsoo).

Deleted
    Valve have always been very greedy, but thankfully they will lose this little battle.