Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Books] Ender's Game

At first I saw this title from another book I was reading. It was the author's recommendation. I read this book in a span of 2 days. It is simply amazing. The detail is OUTSTANDING and I felt like I was the character in the book. (This book has about 400 pages, as well as the rest except for Xenocide which has 600+).

Ender's Game is about Andrew "Ender" Wiggin who is the third child in his family. This book is set in a time where a "Third", as they are known in this book, is a disgrace to society. Any more than two children makes the family look bad. He is sent off to Battle School where... yaddah yaddah, I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

I had gotten the sequel to this book "Ender in Exile." This book explains the gap of time from Ender's Game to Speaker for the Dead. I, again, read this one in two days. Through the "magic" of relativistic travel through space, Ender does not age nearly as quickly as everyone he knows... except for a certain individual.

After that, I HAD to get the sequel to Ender in Exile. Speaker for the Dead is the one I read in a single day (early morning to LATE at night). I literally COULD NOT put it down. It relies heavily on philosophical explanations and religion plays a role in this one.

I will now buy the last two books in this series, Xenocide and Children of the Mind.

After reading all of these, I plan on getting Ender's Shadow and all the sequels for that. This is a "sub-story" from the point of view of Bean. Bean is one of Ender's closest friends (one of his ONLY friends). The sequels describe his life before meeting Ender, in Battle School, and after Battle School. This also spans much farther than a normal human's life. I will not spoil anything in this series about Bean. The knowledge you learn from reading Ender's Game and it's sequels are too meaningful to mention here.

I BEG YOU. PLEASE read these books.

There are some books you simply pass up. There are some books that have a little bit of meaning. Then... there are books where it's story and characters embed your mind for the rest of your life. This book is jaw droppingly brilliant. This is a must read for any sci-fi fan.

If anyone has read this, please leave comments; I could not find anything on "Ender's Game" on MMO-Champion and I wanted to start a discussion on it.

I read Ender's Game twice in 2 days. Because it was assigned for school. I then slept through the rest of the 3 weeks that the teacher focused on the book, occasionally waking up and contributing to the discussion. Didn't bother reading any of the sequels yet, it's in the queue though.

You read it once in 2 days? pffft. Slow. Step it up!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    I read Ender's Game twice in 2 days. Because it was assigned for school. I then slept through the rest of the 3 weeks that the teacher focused on the book, occasionally waking up and contributing to the discussion. Didn't bother reading any of the sequels yet, it's in the queue though.

Yeah I was pretty busy over those two days.

How did you like the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostyqt View Post
    Yeah I was pretty busy over those two days.

How did you like the book?
    How do you think I liked it. I read it twice in 2 days!

I liked the book, but when I reread it, I didn't enjoy it as much. I don't know why. I'm a big Sci/Fi and Fantasy fan and if you enjoyed the religion and politics theme, you need to check out the entire Dune saga, it's pretty much unrivaled in awesomeness.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I did? My favorite book so far.

By the way. I would REALLY recommend buying the sequels. It really gets into Ender as a different person, not doing what he did in the first book. (Not trying to spoil here... really hard not to, rofl).

10+ Year Old Account

I read so fast, it kinda grew into skimming, I read books three or four times in a short period of time so I don't miss anything, Three times in a day is my record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Check out the sass on this nerd

This book got me into harvard> read it it changed my life>

I read the entire series including the sub-series with Bean and I loved it. Now I'm waiting for the last book to come out.

Deleted
    Havent started it yet but it high on my to do pile.
    I have heard great things.

However one thing that does get to me about some sci fi is how well it has aged.
    Ive read many classics that i didnt click with due to them seeming incredible out of date, (not a judgement on their excellence, just my own tastes)

So how,lets say compared to most contemporary sci fi , has it aged? As long as it isnt cringe worthy ill be happy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toosoonexecutus View Post
    This book got me into harvard> read it it changed my life>
    Really? o.0

Added to queue, thanks for the tip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malphaz View Post
    So how,lets say compared to most contemporary sci fi , has it aged?
    No, not at all. It seems as if it was just written. The science part of it is very up to date. It all seems like the correct application of science in a purely fictional form ofc.

I love Ender's Game. First time I read it, I immediately reread it.

Despite reading the first maybe ten times, I cannot recommend sequels. The second one was OKAY in comparison, but there's simply little to the ones after.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostyqt View Post
    No, not at all. It seems as if it was just written. The science part of it is very up to date. It all seems like the correct application of science in a purely fictional form ofc.
    Awesome! that bodes well for my reading so then cheers man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjingle View Post

Despite reading the first maybe ten times, I cannot recommend sequels. The second one was OKAY in comparison, but there's simply little to the ones after.
    You really have to love the characters to appreciate the rest as much as the first. For me, I did. It's very easy for people to love the characters just as I have. For some, though, it may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjingle View Post

I have to completely agree with this, the sequels were not very good.

Ender's Game is easily one of the greatest pieces of sci-fiction ever. It aptly deserved the Hugo Award.
    Personally, the entire series is my favorite piece(s) of literature.
    Though if I were to pick the best of the series it would go something like this:

1) Speaker for the Dead- Card at his finest. There is less action than Ender's Game or the Bean Series, but in a sense the story is more believable(perhaps not the right term) because it is based on relationships and family instead of combat. That scene where Ender first encounters the Riberia family is pure priceless.
    2) Ender's Shadow- A very interesting twist on the original Ender's Game. Told from the perspective of Bean. If you liked Ender's Game you should love this too.
    3) Ender's Game
    4) Xenocide- Gotta love all the science in this one. The different theories about how the universe works at the macroscopic view and the microscopic view makes this an amazing read along with the rest of the Adult Ender Series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by plazsma View Post
    4) Xenocide- Gotta love all the science in this one. The different theories about how the universe works at the macroscopic view and the microscopic view makes this an amazing read along with the rest of the Adult Ender Series.
    Thank you for the discussion on Xenocide. I have not read this yet and you have made me PUMPED for it. Lol. Really... I'm such a nerd for books. It the same for movies for other people.