Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Consoles ruined Skyrim for PC (outside of modding), why not let them ruin GW2 as well?

I guess it would be OK as long as the PC version is built for PC, and console version is built for console (and kept on completely separate servers). Ports are never good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasyn View Post
    Consoles ruined Skyrim for PC (outside of modding), why not let them ruin GW2 as well?

I guess it would be OK as long as the PC version is built for PC, and console version is built for console (and kept on completely separate servers). Ports are never good.
    Skyrim was designed for consoles and ported to PC.
    GW2 is designed for PC....

In all honesty, if this means that I have a greater chance of playing GW2 with some of my less PC-enthusiastic gamer friends, I have no issues with it. I just hope that the console version(s) with have USB keyboard support for chatting.

sounds good to me it as long as they are separate from PC users. More peeps playing the better.

As long as development time isn't extended with this (though it will be), and as long as PC and console are kept separate...
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Silza View Post
    Yeah, because NC Soft has absolutely nothing to do with GW2 and they probably just came up with that cause they were bored. /irony off
    To be fair, they don't have much of anything to do with the development of GW2.
    Anyways.. I highly doubt the console and PC versions will be separate.. which makes this the worst news I have heard about GW2 to date.
    In fact, the only news I've heard about GW2 that has made me unhappy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it could be made to work..
    I just don't want it to happen. At all. The negatives outweigh the positives pretty severely, for me.
    Esp seeing as the only positive I can think of is more people playing GW2, and that is instantly countered with the amount of people I don't want to see in GW2. I know it's a generalization to say that console players are more annoying and less mature than PC gamers, as PC gamers are plenty immature, but having played online games on both consoles and PC for hundreds of hours (well, okay, hundreds per game for PC and hundreds total for console, but shh) each it's the conclusion I've come to.

10+ Year Old Account
    What matters is if a keyboard is mandatory or not.
    If you're worried about communication, there are people that can't even speak english and play MMO's.
    My point is that making keyboard mandatory won't make the game "noob free", and allowing players not to use it won't increase the amount of uncommunicable players that much to justify that "PC and console games CAN'T BE TOGETHER!!!" attitude, in my opinion.

Anybody who's worth playing with will buy a keyboard, and anybody who thinks a keyboard isn't mandatory for a MMORPG will give you more hundreds of reasons not to play with them, so forcing them to have one won't make any difference.

"...[The] console version will be launched separately from [the] PC [version] at a later date," the fan site reports.
    I'll wait until I hear something from Anet first, but as long as they're separate then let console players enjoy GW2 too. There are 12 buttons on a console controller, and with the more action orientated combat it could work.

Deleted
    Consoles get mentioned in conference call. Rabid fans take it as 100% confirmed. Oh guru you so funny.

I find GWI to be pretty off on some things, like this, seems odd to be called such a thing.

I really only have 2 points as to "how the -snip-" they are going to do this

1. Most MMO's pretty much require voice for high level play in competetive pvp and pve. Last i checked consoles don't have dolby axon, mumble, vent, or teamspeak. When MMO's put in their own voice chat, barely anyone ever actually uses it because other options are better and take minimal effort to use.

2. there's quite a few AoE targeted spells (meteor storm and such) and trying to aim those with a game controller will be MUCH more difficult than with a mouse.

If this does happen i won't be surprised to see guilds that are "PC players only"

10+ Year Old Account
    Most MMO's pretty much require voice for high level play in competetive pvp and pve. Last i checked consoles don't have dolby axon, mumble, vent, or teamspeak. When MMO's put in their own voice chat, barely anyone ever actually uses it because other options are better and take minimal effort to use.
    Fifa's voicechat comes to mind...

there's quite a few AoE targeted spells (meteor storm and such) and trying to aim those with a game controller will be MUCH more difficult than with a mouse.
    More difficult to you. I like gamepads targeting rather than mouse targeting. (using third person shooters as a reference, like RE5.)

10+ Year Old Account
    This actually makes me pretty excited. The first MMO I ever played was on consoles. It was Everquest Adventures for the PS2, and I have fond memories of that game and my Wood Elf Paladin, Triflair. This should have no effect on the PC version, so I don't really care.

Even if the console servers and pc servers aren't separate I won't mind since questing (DEs) take little communication anyway. Benefits of being a very visual MMO.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    If you're worried about communication, there are people that can't even speak english and play MMO's.
    My point is that making keyboard mandatory won't make the game "noob free", and allowing players not to use it won't increase the amount of uncommunicable players that much to justify that "PC and console games CAN'T BE TOGETHER!!!" attitude, in my opinion.

Anybody who's worth playing with will buy a keyboard, and anybody who thinks a keyboard isn't mandatory for a MMORPG will give you more hundreds of reasons not to play with them, so forcing them to have one won't make any difference.
    Console game sales tend to be multiple times what the PC game sales are. For an MMO that is primarily a PC game that happens to be ported to console, let's say 60% of the sales end up as console sales (as oppose to the like 90%+ of other games). Let's say 20% of those people have a keyboard. That's almost 50% of the population that can't communicate through chat. Not to mention the fact that they wouldn't be able to use voip programs like ventrilo, TS, or mumble as people tend to use for MMOs on their console directly. If you think that wouldn't cause "uncommunicable players", you may be slightly in denial.

This would actually be nice for me. I'd rather play it on computer, but I'm not sure mine would run it well. That's the biggest beauty of console gaming; you know your system will run it as good as possible! I'm not willing to buy a computer every two years to stay current, when I can buy a console for half that price maybe twice in a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    PC master race!

Seriously though, I'm curious as to how this will work out. With all of the hotkeys that people on PC will have to learn and map, I'm curious as to how people on console will be able to manage. I love going crazy with my keybinds, and I feel like I would be gimped on console. I guess it would be fine if you were just going for casual play, but I honestly can't see the console version being as effective on a competitive level. That's just me though.

Yes, please.

8 Buttons for skills, 1 Button for dodge, WASD for movement all translate easily into the following console controls.

Xbox 720 Controls
    Movement: Right + Left Sticks
    Dodge: D-Pad or Clicking the control sticks.
    Attack Skills: A, B, Y, X, Left Trigger, Right Trigger, Left bumper, right bumper
    Menu Navigation: Xbox Button
    Menu Selection: Start

PS4 Controls
    Movement: Left + Right Stick
    Dodge: D-Pad or Clicking the control sticks.
    Attack Skills: X, Circle, Triangle, Square, L1, L2, R1, R2,
    Menu Navigation: Start
    Menu Selection: Select

Now that the controls are out of the way my opinion on this doesn't change, you can make a great PC Game (which they're doing) and then port that game onto a console with the same results but lower graphical quality and some menu design changes. I believe ArenaNet will release Guild Wars 2 for the two next generation consoles that aren't out yet with a version that focuses specifically on 5v5 PvP and World PvP and leaves the PvE + Achivements to the PC players.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    More difficult to you. I like gamepads targeting rather than mouse targeting. (using third person shooters as a reference, like RE5.)
    Except that he's talking about effects that you click on the ground where you target. There is no denying that the mouse is a superior instrument for RTS games, whether you deny it is for other things or not. And selecting a skill then clicking a spot on the ground is more similar to an RTS game than a third person shooter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThewF View Post
    --
    There's 10 skills plus class mechanic which is up to 14 buttons. Fit that on now.

Playing GW2 on console sounds just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    This would actually be nice for me. I'd rather play it on computer, but I'm not sure mine would run it well. That's the biggest beauty of console gaming; you know your system will run it as good as possible! I'm not willing to buy a computer every two years to stay current, when I can buy a console for half that price maybe twice in a decade.
    (Psst, if you factor in how much less you spend on PC games, PC gaming ends up being cheaper if not equal in price to console gaming. But this thread isn't about that, so I digress)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThewF View Post
    8 Buttons for skills, 1 Button for dodge, WASD for movement all translate easily into the following console controls.
    Correction on the controls. 10 skills, plus any skills outside of the basic 10 depending on class (thief steal, guardian buffs), weapon switching, movement (dodging can be done by double taping a direction).

---------- Post added 2012-02-15 at 01:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    If the controls become
    Hold attack button-press LMB-press Left like in DCUO.
    I'm not even gonna buy it.

I'm tired of these motherfucking console controls in my motherfucking PC games.
    -Samuel L. Jackson-
    It won't be that way. DCUO was design for a gamepad, GW2 isn't. It's probably going to be the other way around... you know...

I'm tired of the motherfucking PC controls in my motherfucking console games.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-02-15 at 06:03 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)