Page 6 of 120 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Pick me apparte. I feel i've been stuck in the 80-90s percentiles for too long, i really want to improve but i'm kind of out of ideas.

Here's logs from our H: Yorsaj and H:Zonozz kills last night : http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0ghupb7xt7qgarja/
    And here's logs for the second half of DS from last week (H:Ultraxion, normal warmaster, spine and madness) : http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/drpep35e7ktldx8h/

Here's my armory : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iever/advanced

If anyone wants to pick some of those apparte i'd appreciate, i mostly want to improve my dps on Zonozz, Hagara, Ultraxion and Madness but any improvements would help .

Zergal,

I'll start with gear as there isn't much here to worry about.

-Obviously, if you can afford it putting 50 Agi gems into heroic gear is well worth the cost. And if gold isn't an issue then drop Alchemy in favor of Blacksmithing.
    -65 Mastery to gloves should also yield higher throughput than 22 Agi at your gear level.
    -In terms of reforging everything looks good, I would recommend using ReforgeLite if you don't as the SV preset and the 757 Haste manual input will make your reforging as precise and accurate as possible.

-Your talents/pet talents/glyphs all look good.

I'll basically just look through the Ultraxion kill first as it's the best estimate of pressing your buttons.
    Why are you choosing to play BM on this fight? You have the 3% damage buff and the BM spec is far inferior to SV.

I'll go through SV regardless, as I don't play BM and wouldn't advocate anyone else playing it.

Here's our Ultraxion kill as well as armory link for reference:
    I actually can't post them because mmo is awesome, but it's Blackrock Jigsawe and the Ultrax parse was 41985 or something around there (Can be found on WoL).

From what I see, I didn't plug it into mmo raid comp, but you should have all important raid buffs with your current 10 man setup.
    Again, I highly advise SV for all fights, H Spine withstanding.

The basic SV priority rotation revolves around not capping focus while using ES and BA on CD. These seems like a very simple concept, but it's amazing how many hunters delay ES/BA by fractions of a second/seconds and lose an enormous amount of dps as a result.

Basic SV rotations should rotate between (low focus): ES -> CS x 3 -> ES; to (high focus 45+): ES -> CS -> AS -> CS -> AS -> ES.
    These are the two most general rotations, with dynamic haste effects such as RF/Troll/4p/Lust; you need to figure out what your exact cast times are and build optimal rotations around those two. Again, this seems simple but a vast majority of hunters just spam a typical rotation and routinely cap themselves on focus during dynamic haste situations.

You also never want to stack haste effects reducing CS below 1 sec for GCD purposes. The caveat here is that if stacking RF with BL for example results in getting an extra RF at the end of the fight then it is advantageous to do so. As in our H Ultrax kill, we killed it fast enough to where waiting for BL to drop before using RF would result in clipping RF at the end.

Tracking ICDs on trinkets, 4p, and the staff proc is also very important. Say for instance you have a 5:30 Ultraxion kill and you have engineering on a 1 minute CD glove proc, Berserking on a 3min CD, RF on a 5 min CD, and varying ICDs on trinkets/weapon. Delaying a Berserking/Engi proc anywhere from 1-20 seconds to align with procs is a huge dps gain. By timing your CD stacking with ICDs you stack multiplicative buffs greatly increasing you dps. Obviously this is very dependent on fight time so learning how to manage CDs exactly within your kill range is something that must be experimentally derived.

LnL, despite what anyone claims, should be used as ES -> ES -> CS/AS -> ES except under very specific circumstances with latency and jitter. On Ultrax make sure you're using a Deterrence cancelaura macro so you can soak a phase and immediately cancel Deterrence to immediately dps again. If you don't have bad internet you also should lose no more than 1 GCD to either Fading Light or Hour of Twilight.

The only time anything is prioritized over ES is during KS range. Once you have KS up, depending on how far you're standing from the boss (this usually doesn't apply on Ultrax); make sure you don't wait for the 2nd KS after using the 1st. What I mean is, say you press KS as 19.9% and it has a <1 sec flight time, press another instant/CS between KS', a lot of hunters just sit and wait to press the 2nd KS and lose out on valuable globals.

Another thing I would recommend, I know some of the most geared hunters do this, presumably people call them the best, but watching a certain hunters stream who will go unnamed (he's in BL), he continually caps himself on focus during LnL and outside of LnL. If you have 70+ focus, never CS again. While your focus bar may not show you capping at 100 when you instantly hit ES/AS after, what is happening is you're going from 70+ focus to 100 and back to 60-75. By consecutively doing this throughout a fight you lose out on LOTS of AS casts.

Ultraxion is obviously very Patchwerky and thus is the best test for min/maxing and is a good indicator of whether you're making one of the above mistakes with or without realizing it. I'll analyze the other 4 fights in a few minutes, but as I've only done DS for about 2-3 weeks I can't guarantee that I'll have every single nuance to the fight figured out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    Not sure why he hasn't specced serpent spread? I know it won't help on ultrax but for all other fights with any aoe its kinda important.

His glove enchant should be 20 agi

Try to run firelands hc some more to get him the lord rhyolith cloak, he also should have 22 agi on the cloak.

50 agility should be on wrists not 65 crit

Hit cap, I think 0.17% is too big a miss chance can be easily solved by changed one of his belt gems to glinting.

now onto the logs:

Not sure if this was a mistake or not but there was one multishot used in the log. There is absolutely no reason to use multi-shot on ultrax.

He only had one call of the wild. Assuming he is using a ferocity pet for the fight he can pre-use call of the wild and then summon his fight pet to use another one duing the fight.

both his wolves aren't specced correctly. Survival in this raid tier now used 2/2 wild hunt and nothing in shark attack.

He's got a very low amount of arcane shots which leads me to believe he is focus capping a lot and not utilising every global effectively.

Also seems to me that he isn't stacking cooldowns effectively. Usually on 10man my arcane shot crits for 32k+ and i get up to 26k explosive tick crits and my gear is not as good as his.

Basically whenever he uses cotw or potion he should be hasted or at least using it in conjunction with his kiril staff proc, stacking cooldowns on this fight is essential because it's so short.

Also another minor thing is that his professions are terrible for hunters and DPS in general. Probably get him to change herbalism to LW at least for a 80 agi boost.
    Wrong.

Glove enchant, except in a few cases, should be 65 Mastery. Cloak enchant should be 65 Crit.
    Ideal professions at the moment are Engineering and Blacksmithing.
    I'm not going to look through the parse but if his dps is that low with that much gear, he's either delaying ES/BA or capping on focus.
    Hit should never be below 961. A convenient addon for this is ReforgeLite, load the SV profile and add 757 haste manually (yes, this is still important).

Looking quickly at his armory he has pieces reforged incorrectly, period with or without the addon. Again, I highly recommend he get it and he can PM me on the forums if he needs help setting it up. Aside from this, his main problem is probably simply not pressing buttons on CDs (no, delaying them fractions of a second is not ok) or focus starving himself going into an ES/BA and having to delay it. Basic rotations should alternate between ES -> CS x 3 -> ES (at very low focus) and ES -> CS/AS/CS/AS -> ES at 45+ focus. Never cast a CS if at or above 70 focus, ever.

Spec-I use both.
    Item Level 390
    Expectations: None in particular, just know I can do better
    Armory Link: Won't let me post links yet. Räpture on Cairne-US.
    Worldoflogs Link: Pandemic on Cairne-US. There are 2 sets of reports. It is the 2nd one on the list with kills on the 24th and 25th.
    Femaledwarf Link: Not sure here to link it.

I have been playing WoW for quite a while, and I usually frequent forums and the like, but I have not done AS much research as I should. I guess if you see any glaring inconsistencies then let me know. Any tips are appreciated

Spec Survival
    Item Level 384
    Expectations: 30k+ dps or just better dps overall over the length of an encounter.
    Armory Link: Won't let me post links, search for Zaith on Frostmane
    Worldoflogs Link: Search for War Front on Frostmane-US, check for the 26th for the most recent attempts on H:Yorj (most recent encounter I was in before being replaced for the night)
    Femaledwarf Link: Not sure how to link it but says 24k unbuffed, 34k raid buffed

Been playing WoW for ages but this is making me want to quit since I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, I don't like being replaced as a new recruit and I'll be in last place for dps for a fight, I think my highest attempt was about 26k which is sad with the gear I currently use. What can I do to fix myself and do better dps? I read EJ nearly each day and watch and read other hunters and the dps they do, I'm missing something that's apparently invisible to me, for a loss of 6-8k dps. It's driving me mad.

Quote Originally Posted by djvortix View Post
    Spec Survival
    Item Level 384
    Expectations: 30k+ dps or just better dps overall over the length of an encounter.
    Armory Link: Won't let me post links, search for Zaith on Frostmane
    Worldoflogs Link: Search for War Front on Frostmane-US, check for the 26th for the most recent attempts on H:Yorj (most recent encounter I was in before being replaced for the night)
    Femaledwarf Link: Not sure how to link it but says 24k unbuffed, 34k raid buffed

Been playing WoW for ages but this is making me want to quit since I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, I don't like being replaced as a new recruit and I'll be in last place for dps for a fight, I think my highest attempt was about 26k which is sad with the gear I currently use. What can I do to fix myself and do better dps? I read EJ nearly each day and watch and read other hunters and the dps they do, I'm missing something that's apparently invisible to me, for a loss of 6-8k dps. It's driving me mad.
    Gear wise:

65 Crit to Cloak
    65 Mastery to Gloves
    Are two enchants you can change.
    20 Agi/20 Crit gem in boots.

You're reforging is terrible. Get Reforge Lite and load the Survival preset, it has default 961 hit as a benchmark and the correct stat priority otherwise. You need to manually add in 757 haste as a parameter. Way over hit causes you to sac valuable Crit/Mastery, so this is probably the largest change relative to the above notes.

If you have the gold get Blacksmithing and Engineering as they're the two best professions at the moment.

Spec and talents look fine.

The above won't make a drastic difference in your dps, however it will increase the top end of your character. If you're doing that poor of dps with your current gear you need to analyze your rotation.

Looking at attempt 4 on Heroic Yor'saj, as it was your longest attempt:
    -Never use Immo trap, period.
    -Always make sure to use Explosive Traps when Black Ooze is left alive. When switching to an ooze to kill you have a 3-5 second window where you can still BA Yor/the ooze of choice and have the ES CD back up by the time you stack for adds and once they're grouped.
    -Using ES this way will always proc LnL, don't use it. During the add phase always target Yor and Multi/CS off of him while using ES on CD. Standing on the tank or the front of the boss allows you to hit all of the adds. If you're group doesn't stack as tight as you would like you can move back and forth while casting MS to increase the range, it's a handy little trick most people don't know.
    -If the ooze is alive for longer than 12 seconds (presumably it is), apply SS and do a normal rotation on the ooze.
    -The biggest loss for most hunters on this fight is the time between attacking Yor'saj and attacking the ooze. Make sure to utilize Deterrence and AoF to greatly increase dps during transitions.
    -You fired a Scatter Shot, don't do that.
    -Don't Raptor Strike either, unless your healers are bad and ask you to.
    -Your Culling of the Herd uptime is terrible, leave your pet on the boss unless your raid dps is really that bad and you can't kill an Ooze/Void without it. Having your pet run back and forth the entire time diminishes its dps as well as your personal dps.
    -61% on AotH, that is way too low. Make sure you aren't attacking in AoF when you don't need to. There's really only 2-3 globals that should be used in AoF. Make sure you switch back to AotH anytime you use instants. When attacking ooze stand still and CS then move towards Yor while using instants. Try to minimize time outside of AoH if possible.
    -Track your Sniper Training, know how long you need to stand still to refresh it, and make sure you do. While switching to oozes make sure you move only once it has refreshed.
    -With only 3 LnL procs that leads me to believe you aren't using BA on CD. Use BA anytime except for when a black ooze is 15-20 seconds from hitting the boss. Then always remember to ES as the adds stack.
    -You also casted Trap Launcher, which you shouldn't need to do if you're stacking properly. Though I'm assuming you used it to fire an Immo Trap at the start, don't do that, it's a waste of focus and does negligible damage.
    -You also only use one RF in an 8 minute fight. For the 2nd RF, since you know you only get 2 per fight, make sure to use it with trinket procs.
    -You also didn't pot, using one prior to the fight and the 2nd during BL is a good idea.

Spec SV
    Item Level 399
    Expectations:Can't seem to break 40k on ultraxion
    Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...h/Ikite/simple
    Worldoflogs Link:http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...4&e=4591#Ikite

anything u can find that i may be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated i dont really know how to read the logs

---------- Post added 2012-01-28 at 05:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RaptureWS View Post
    Spec-I use both.
    Item Level 390
    Expectations: None in particular, just know I can do better
    Armory Link: Won't let me post links yet. Räpture on Cairne-US.
    Worldoflogs Link: Pandemic on Cairne-US. There are 2 sets of reports. It is the 2nd one on the list with kills on the 24th and 25th.
    Femaledwarf Link: Not sure here to link it.

I have been playing WoW for quite a while, and I usually frequent forums and the like, but I have not done AS much research as I should. I guess if you see any glaring inconsistencies then let me know. Any tips are appreciated
    i can tell u to do one thing get off of cairne that was my server for the first 3 years or so i played so glad i got off that rock

Spec SV
    Item Level 392
    Expectations: Hit 28k on target dummy, post 4.3.2 patch
    Armory Link: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/nemesis/Grafitte/advanced
    Worldoflogs Link: worldoflogs.com/reports/owcp289qeyj9uu6v/sum/damageDone/

- - - - -

Hey guys, quick question. After 4.3.2 hit I've been doing some dummy testing, so far doing roughly 1.5k better than before. I do, however, have a question:

Simming my char [ us.battle.net/wow/en/character/nemesis/Grafitte/advanced ] on the 4.3.2 Simcraft gives an estimation of 28.8 kDPS using a Wind Serpent (300s Patchwerk fight, medium lag, no external buffs, no Tol'vir potion, no Kill Shot). I can't, for the life of me, match those results and keep getting stuck on the 26k range. Here's a 300s log of myself on a Raid Target Dummy: worldoflogs.com/reports/owcp289qeyj9uu6v/sum/damageDone/

What am I doing wrong here? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by fbscarel; 2012-01-31 at 09:22 PM.

dps fix

Spec Survival
    Item Level 388
    Expectations: 30k+ dps on ultraxion 10 man normal
    Armory Link: it won't let me post links. Wow armory eu search for Aleris server:thunderhorn
    Worldoflogs Link: search for Crushyx on EU-Thunderhorn and look at the report i posted today on 31/01/2012 and there's a complete ultraxion fight of 5 min
    Femaledwarf Link: wont let me post again but it says

unbuffed
    Combined: 27450.98 100.00%
    Hunter: 24179.22 88.08%
    Pet: 3271.76 11.92%

with some raid buffs it's like 6-7k dps higher
    Hello guys, i'd like to make my dps a way higher. in the wol logs i posted i was level 387 now 388 after just 1 upgrade so not much is changed. i've been reading all guides everywhere and on ultraxion i was using my wind serpent to get the 8% damage taken since it was missing in the raid.in the same logs u can see an other hunter ( not me aleris) topping the chart but he was using a ferocity pet and was ivl394 and was survival as well. thanks for any advice or suggestion about gear or whatever

Spec : Survival
    Item Level : 393
    Expectations: Although I can't say that I'm entirely disappointed with the DPS that I'm doing I do believe that there is always room for improvement. Basically, as much as I'd like to think otherwise my knowledge of the hunter class is probably very limited and I'm looking to see what kind of advice that can be offered to me here. So, as for a numerical expectation I'd like to improve my DPS by about 1-2k.
    Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nophage/simple
    Worldoflogs Link: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/uay6ivta3u5gqxll/ (First four bosses. I'll upload the next four tonight)
    Femaledwarf Link: http://www.femaledwarf.com/?setting_id=68816

Other : I'm not quite sure why the Zon'ozz kill was flagged as invalid. It seems to be all there but I'm no good at reading these logs.

Anyways, Thanks in advance!

Spec : Survival
    Ilvl : 399
    Expectations My guild started working on H:Warmaster this week, we make decent and steady progress but looking at world of logs parses from different guild and rankings i feel my DPS is quite lackluster on this particular fight and i'd want to try to get it up as much as possible to help my guild kill everything (mainly drakes) faster. Could use tips for every heavy switching fights for that matter, as i feel those are my weakpoint DPS wise.

Armory : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iever/advanced

WoL : Here's our best attempt on Warmaster : http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/p...?s=9357&e=9673

---------- Post added 2012-02-04 at 02:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsawe View Post
    Zergal,

I'll start with gear as there isn't much here to worry about.

[Snip the rest of the gigantic post].
    I forgot to reply to this btw, thanks a lot for your tips. I went back to survival, i had to go BM for that particular kill due to our complete lack of a class that could Bloodlust during our first kill.

Went back to it as survival and post buff, did 42k .

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/n...=12577&e=12858
    Last edited by GrieverXIII; 2012-02-04 at 01:59 PM.

Hello,

I was wondering if any skilled hunter would be willing to take a look at some of my guilds logs and critique our hunters. I feel they do decently, but that they should be able to pull higher numbers than they do. They also both tend to die quite a bit compared to anyone else in our raid..
    They are both survival, and well geared.

Here are logs with most DS fights from this week:
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/xyriqhtwe33teggy/

Any help on what they are doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Spec survival
    Item Level 395
    Expectations: just more dps on any fights and just a check to see if my gear is reforged/gemed/enchanted correctly
    Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Koonyp/simple
    Worldoflogs Link: our sunday raid we did some of the achieves http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-m8...lci/dashboard/ tonights raid:http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3mqd8abhcqh20ti8/
    Femaledwarf Link: http://www.femaledwarf.com/

would appreciate anything, also would playing BM for the raids 3% dmg buff be worth it.
    more logs from our H ultraxion kill where i was playing BM i believe i should be doing alot more dps as bM
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=5731&e=6075
    Last edited by Koonyp; 2012-02-14 at 09:54 AM. Reason: new logs

Felthunn
    Spec survival
    Item Level 396
    Expectations: 30k+
    Armory Link: "us.battle.net/wow/en/character/amanthul/Felthunn/simple"
    Worldoflogs Link: "worldoflogs.com/reports/pzvmpro9s7897icj/details/0/"
    Femaledwarf Link: "femaledwarf.com/"

Hi

I am MM hunter and I recently decided to switch to a Survival spec. Can you please have a look and see what I am doing wrong, I am doing less DPS compared to a MM hunter.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Felthunn
    Last edited by sandman153; 2012-02-15 at 11:45 AM.

Just 2 general suggestions that all hunters can use:

1). A nice trick is using the Kiril for the proc and then using a weapon swap macro and switching to the Spire of Coag for the stat boost while the Kiril's ICD is still up.
    The ICD of the Fury of the Beast proc is 55 seconds for those wondering.
    /equip [nomodifier] <2H Item Name> -- Is the weapon swap macro I use, I use 2, one for each weapon though I'm sure there's a way to use a castsequence and condense it to 1.

2). On fights where you can ice trap an add to proc LnL do so as there are two separate ICDs for LnL, one proc'ing from Expl/BA and one from Frost/Ice. Especially when frost trapping an add prior to a boss gaining a damage buff, which procs an LnL that you can then use on said buff'd boss is possible.

---------- Post added 2012-02-12 at 03:33 AM ----------

Koonyp, your gems, reforging, enchants, spec, and glyphs all look good and I'll look at the logs in the morning as it's almost 4 AM, but a quick response to your last question: Yes, the 3% damage buff will be a net gain for the raid even with the dps loss you'll take by switching to BM.
    Last edited by Jigsawe; 2012-02-12 at 09:32 AM.

Felthunn
    Spec survival
    Item Level 396
    Expectations: 40k+
    Armory Link: "us.battle.net/wow/en/character/amanthul/Felthunn/simple"
    Worldoflogs Link: "worldoflogs.com/reports/cfoaaxo3aa7jcw8x/details/13/"
    Femaledwarf Link: "femaledwarf.com/"

Hi Guys

My dps is very low as survival at the moment and I am looking for any advice on how I can improve my dps

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Felthunn

Deleted
    No pet talents in Bageera atm mate...?

Hi Yasher

Thanks for pointing it out to me, I must have reset my pets points and forgot to reallocate them. I usually raid with a wolf

Apart from the pet is there anything wrong with my rotation?

Thanks
    Felthunn

Quote Originally Posted by sandman153 View Post
    Hi Yasher

Thanks for pointing it out to me, I must have reset my pets points and forgot to reallocate them. I usually raid with a wolf

Apart from the pet is there anything wrong with my rotation?

Thanks
    Felthunn
    Starting with gear, your reforging priorities are quite off. You should prioritize Crit > Mastery > Haste except at a few break points for haste which aren't important when you're still lacking H DS gear. Not going to go through each individual piece of gear, but I would recommend ReforgeLite as it has the basic stat priorities for reforging as SV and makes it fairly obvious what you should and shouldn't reforge.

Added another post with analysis of a few things you could do better. Currently working on a SV guide for priorities as well as how to approach/maximize dps on fights in DS and I'll add it on mmo within the next week, whether it gets sticked or not is up to whoever mods these forums.
    Last edited by Jigsawe; 2012-02-18 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsawe View Post
    Starting with gear, your reforging priorities are quite off. You should prioritize Crit > Mastery > Haste except at a few break points for haste which aren't important when you're still lacking H DS gear. Not going to go through each individual piece of gear, but I would recommend ReforgeLite as it has the basic stat priorities for reforging as SV and makes it fairly obvious what you should and shouldn't reforge.

I'll edit this post when I look through logs.
    Thanks for your help Jigsawe