Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I still just hate the idea of Heart of the Wild. Its either a 'take this in case your raidmates fail' talent, or a gimmick to encourage raids to stack dps druids. For how frequently we've faced bosses with heavy raid damage final phases, i worry that HotW opens the door, for cheesy play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabnock View Post
    Tier 6 is supposed to be our best tier (it is for all classes) but it's the worst, in a pve perspective:
    - HotW: You have the stat of a tank/dps/healer but without the skills what's the point to play a crippled jack of all trades? The design of the raid is to prevent to have mandatory classes, so it's mandatory to have one or more ppl who switch in healer or tank (and I don't think so) or it's useless.
    - Dream of Cenarius: good idea for a lesser tier, maybe in place of Renewal, but it is awful and lame in this position.
    - Disentanglement: simply a lame placeholder.
    And sadly, the "best" talent of tier 6.

For HotW, it's simple. The only way it can actually be useful is if you have a boss that has a phase where:
    1. There is a huge amount of raid damage going on
    2. Dps in that phase is not important
    In that particuliar case, yes, HotW is great. And that's also a problem, because in that case, HotW would be so great, that stacking dps druids would become the standard strat. Because, why take other dps when druids dps correctly and can become almost healers during the healing intensive phase?

In every other scenario, HotW sucks. And it would suck even if non resto specs still had most resto healing spells. Which they don't anymore.
    Last edited by mmoc4f7a735ed2; 2012-02-16 at 08:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They where already uninspired and boring, now they are more so. Seems the goal is to dumb things down as much as they can. We'll see how beta looks, but so far I am unimpressed with the next expansion.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    They where already uninspired and boring, now they are more so. Seems the goal is to dumb things down as much as they can. We'll see how beta looks, but so far I am unimpressed with the next expansion.
    The boring/bland/uninspired druid trees (especially when compared to those of all other classes) has our four entirely different spec as it's fault. Shaman/Pally work out cause you have at least some (conceptually/by class theme) similarities you can work on.

The druid concept obviously was "hybridness" (as told at blizzcon), though that was doomed to fail the very moment they restricted most of the abilities by spec.

The very basic required for druids to be true hybrids is: We need our ENTIRE toolkit, not just that of our current spec.

The problem with this design approach is that Blizz isn't account for multi-spec classes.

If there are 3 choices for each tier for a pure dps class, there should be 12 choices per tier for a druid to accommodate the 4 specs. I have either 1, or 0, choices in most tiers. Honestly, most tiers are a complete waste to me as a resto druid. The latter tiers, which I would expect the really awesome stuff to come into play, are completely worthless. It's not even hard to come up with new talents.

All this time and these are the changes we've got? Sorry, I have no faith in Blizz anymore. I don't get a feeling they know wtf2do with talents/abilities anymore.

---------- Post added 2012-02-16 at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by walrusaurus View Post
    I still just hate the idea of Heart of the Wild. Its either a 'take this in case your raidmates fail' talent, or a gimmick to encourage raids to stack dps druids. For how frequently we've faced bosses with heavy raid damage final phases, i worry that HotW opens the door, for cheesy play.
    I got this feeling too. Need big heals? Ok, feral #1, pop Tranq. Now feral #2. Ok, now feral #3. If agility translates to Int those spells are going to be immense. Not only that, but the implication of it in PvP could be disasterious, to the point where resto druids would end up seeing a nerf, or the talent itself will get nerfed to a pile of terds. So... dunno wtf they're thinking on this one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozwald View Post
    When i first read this talent that is exactly what i thought however on closer inspection i realised it was a 30 second ability. Therefore it would change our playstyle in that we cast 1 wrath every 30 seconds for a 30% healing increase which in my mind is definatly worth it.
    On the next spell. It's not really worth it tbh. Would you rather waste mana on that one Wrath spell for 30% extra healing on your next spell, or use that mana to cast 2 of the same spells?

---------- Post added 2012-02-17 at 02:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ooldoong View Post
    The problem with this design approach is that Blizz isn't account for multi-spec classes.

If there are 3 choices for each tier for a pure dps class, there should be 12 choices per tier for a druid to accommodate the 4 specs. I have either 1, or 0, choices in most tiers. Honestly, most tiers are a complete waste to me as a resto druid. The latter tiers, which I would expect the really awesome stuff to come into play, are completely worthless. It's not even hard to come up with new talents.

All this time and these are the changes we've got? Sorry, I have no faith in Blizz anymore. I don't get a feeling they know wtf2do with talents/abilities anymore.
    Less doomsaying please. The spells offered in the talent tree, seem more like situational abilities, cooldowns or utility, and that's true for most classes.

You have valuable choices in each tier as a resto druid in my opinion. I suspect the only valuable choices you see are the second tier, 4th tier for a resto druid? I diagree. Please bear in mind that the first, third and 5th are pretty much situational abilities for druids of all specs, and you'll find those in every class' talent tree.
    Especially the Third and fifth tier, they offer crowd control for druids of any kind, which is valuable for any class or spec to have.

For example, I took a look at the Warlock tree (since that's my alt) and they get the same kind of things, eventho they're a dps only class. First tier is a self heal, second is CC, third is survival cooldown, fourth is either a CC or survival ability. The Fifth and sixth tiers are the only ones who will have a direct impact on dps. ALL THE REST ARE UTILITY OR SURVIVAL COOLDOWNS. I imagine the same being true for the rest of the classes.
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2012-02-17 at 01:53 AM.

Not at all excited about the fact that Nature's Grace is automatically proced when entering Eclipse. Why would anyone find it compelling to have your damage balanced around using a proc like that? All NG does is to make you lose more dps to movement at that particular time compared to having to move at some other time. Utterly pointless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokty View Post
    Not at all excited about the fact that Nature's Grace is automatically proced when entering Eclipse. Why would anyone find it compelling to have your damage balanced around using a proc like that? All NG does is to make you lose more dps to movement at that particular time compared to having to move at some other time. Utterly pointless.
    Since insect swarm is getting changed to being a debuff, rather than a dot, NG wouldn't proc from it. And since we all know that NG will not affect the spell it is procced by, it will devalue the dmg of sunfire/moonfire.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckgirl View Post
    There already is a thread about the new talent calculator changes.
    This thread is specifically about the druid changes... hence it being in the druid forum...

15+ Year Old Account
    i just noticed that Predatory Swiftness (Passive)
    now only lets us cast entrangle, hybernate, cyclone , rebirth and healiing touch as instant so there goes my idea of a rotation whit an instant cast wrath after each finisher while wating for energy to regain
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Deleted
    You could always alleviate some pressure with a heal wherever, maybe at no dps cost, which I would like as a (small) hybrid mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    Since insect swarm is getting changed to being a debuff, rather than a dot, NG wouldn't proc from it. And since we all know that NG will not affect the spell it is procced by, it will devalue the dmg of sunfire/moonfire.
    In the current build it automatically procs from entering eclipse. They should just remove it because it serves no purpose whatsoever. If the goal is to make Eclipse feel more powerful they could just introduce something like "your next 5 casts after entering eclipse are cast 15% faster", instead of this timed buff that does nothing but screw you over when you randomly have to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodata View Post
    You could always alleviate some pressure with a heal wherever, maybe at no dps cost, which I would like as a (small) hybrid mechanic.
    That's the problem. Tranquility could be used by Moonkins, cause the DPS loss was nil compared to the healing Tranquility provided.

But as soon as you CAN Heal/DPS/Tank at no additional costs (which is required, else you'd go with a pure providing real utility, not the "hybrid"-utility - just as it happened in past expansions) you'd never want to have anything but druids in your raid.

It's conceptually flawed and the only reason blizzard tries to go for hybridness is, that they lack ANY Clue what else to do with druids. (seriously, mighty bash? couldn't they come up with something new?)

Quote Originally Posted by Pokty View Post
    In the current build it automatically procs from entering eclipse. They should just remove it because it serves no purpose whatsoever. If the goal is to make Eclipse feel more powerful they could just introduce something like "your next 5 casts after entering eclipse are cast 15% faster", instead of this timed buff that does nothing but screw you over when you randomly have to move.
    Both have their advantages and disadvantages. The biggest problem i see with your proposal is that it would slant us towards Lunar, as we get more damage per cast there.
    You could also go with Eclipse just giving 15% haste in addition to the Damage bonus. That would sort of be similar to your idea, but eliminate the advantage of Lunar.

You could also go with Eclipse just giving 15% haste in addition to the Damage bonus.
    If they have to keep some type of Nature's Grace type haste buff, I really like this idea.

People that say that their spec doesn't benefit from the new talents : How So ? The talents are supposed to be about utility not output. When a talent does something related to output, it always has different effects based on your spec. People have to get used to this new talent philosophy, it isn't about your spec anymore, it's about your class.

People that say that some talents (like Heart of the Wild) aren't very useful unless in some very specific situations. That's exactly how it is supposed to be : you can easily swap talents to accommodate the fight's needs. That's the whole concept of the new system, you don't just pick something and stick with it for all the fights. Going back to HotW, you'll be glad you can pick it when, as a feral, you're in a phase where melee damage is useless. Or when as a Boomie you have very little to do while the raid is under a lot of damage ("Hello Rhyolith"). Or when as a Resto you find yourself in a DPS phase with very little healing to do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    People that say that their spec doesn't benefit from the new talents : How So ? The talents are supposed to be about utility not output. When a talent does something related to output, it always has different effects based on your spec. People have to get used to this new talent philosophy, it isn't about your spec anymore, it's about your class.

People that say that some talents (like Heart of the Wild) aren't very useful unless in some very specific situations. That's exactly how it is supposed to be : you can easily swap talents to accommodate the fight's needs. That's the whole concept of the new system, you don't just pick something and stick with it for all the fights. Going back to HotW, you'll be glad you can pick it when, as a feral, you're in a phase where melee damage is useless. Or when as a Boomie you have very little to do while the raid is under a lot of damage ("Hello Rhyolith"). Or when as a Resto you find yourself in a DPS phase with very little healing to do.
    I would agree with you if that was the case for other classes talents. It is not.

Other classes (or at least the ones that have a well done talent tree) get some utility talents, and some talents that complement their role.
    Druids get some utility talents, and some talents that boosts every other role.

And as it's been said repeatedly, a talent like HotW is either useless, mandatory, or a way to cheese fights mechanics. In any case it's bad design.

Quote Originally Posted by ichime View Post
    And as it's been said repeatedly, a talent like HotW is either useless, mandatory, or a way to cheese fights mechanics. In any case it's bad design.
    I don't agree that it's bad design... but i do agree that it is not really a good choice as a talent. I think it should be a baseline ability for all druids. Sort of a slightly different "Oh crap" button.

The second choice on that tier, on the other hand, i don't think is really workable. It's either going to not be much use, or people will completely misunderstand it's purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Elunedra View Post
    Twilight:
    HC first boss (forgot name), if there are to many fireballs falling in melee and its to crowded there you can walk out and do some ranged dps

You mean that great aoe damage phase during that pull that requires the group to DPS down the most important adds as fast as possible?
    Shouldn't tranquility be a better use here? Even if you do decide to heal, how helpfull can the HT+rejuv spam be?

BWD:
    HC onnomnom, whne you get stunned by red beam

I never did omnotrom heroic. If you are stunned, how are you going to make sure of HotW?

atremeides the air phase,

And what do you do when he flies again? HotW does have a 6 min cooldown.

while kitting chimeron (standing in the opisite corner)

You will only have 2 caster spells as a feral. Moonfire and wrath. Can't cast wrath while running (and you ought to be in cat form to run fast and not get caught by the boss). Either way, if there's a hunter in your group, symbiosis and FD will deal far more damage than a moonfire dot applied while under HotW.

neferion when the add on the pilar is dead you cna dps neferion

Would you really? It depends if you want to force a cackle during that air phase. Even as a moonkin, I would have to stop DPS there. Besides, between cackle and his AoE shadowbolts, healing would help more. And in this case, tranquility trumps HotW (and the air phase only happens once!). I imagine the HotW could help here during the 10-man raids, but I can't imagine HT+rejuv making a difference against that kind of damage in a 25-man raid (with the ilvl appropriate to the encounter, that is...)

FL:
    shanox is there to many traps in melee you can move a bit bakc and dps at ranged

I've brought my unholy DK alt to shannox and heroic shannox fights. Shannox's hit box is so huge that the problem you describe doesn't happen. Even if it does, I would just use AMS to eat the fire trap. And as a feral druid in MoP, there are better ways to stay alive. You can eat a fire trap and use that self heal from an earlier tier at the talent tree. Not enough healing? Well, pick disentanglement and use a macro that recasts cat form (/cancel aura /cast cat form), you'll get another 30% heal and only lose 1 global cooldown. And don't forget barkskin!
    Because when it comes down to it, which would deal more damage? A feral druid as a cat (and using other talents to stay alive during a trap) or a feral druid with HotW casting wrath+moonfire? HotW is just not optimal here.

Spider, you can help nuke the spiners down (if taunt is on cooldown)

Why would you even do that? Between the big spider add that the offtank has to keep agro on, beth on the web and the little spiders running around, why would you use a 6 min cooldown to take down one add? It's not like you have a window of opportunity to effectively use those 45 seconds of HotW and your feral skills are just better applied somewhere else. I could see someone using HotW to nuke the spiders down in an all melee group, but that's just looking for a handicap - not to mention a group like that wouldn't lack a taunt to bring them down.

Alysrazor, if the bird & druids are dead you dps the boss a bit before the tonado phase

Alysrazor keeps going around the room. You'd have to constantly reposition yourself. You could also pick one of the feathers laying around and fly away to deal that much more damage.

Majordomo, you can dps the cat even when it is leaped away

No, you can't. Majordomo leaves a mirror cat on the ground when it leaps away, it's always been the melee's job to kill that one. And even if your guild does it differently, the real majordomo (not his mirror left behind) takes 10 seconds to come back, at most. In which case you'll be back into cat form and the HotW cooldown (did I mention it's 6 minutes?) will be wasted. How much damage can you put out in 10 seconds with wrath+moonfire? Wouldn't that time be better spent in cat while damaging the mirror he leaves behing?

DS:
    Morchok during blood of the earth
    Hagara HC during forst phase, standing still in the middle whit the ranged dps
    ultraxion trash, some fly just above the ground and you to jump to hit them
    Gunship: killing sapper while soaking the purple swirl or help ranged dps kill the armored drake in phase2

Sapper and purple swirl at the same time doesn't happen that often. And even then, a DK can just death grip him to the group, BM hunters and demo locks can stun them to earn time, I can typhoon him away from the cabin on my way to the purple swirl (and typhoon does a small penalty to his run speed). So many options that are up EVERY TIME a sapper appears. HotW is not needed. Your efforts as a feral could be better spent getting out of the swirl (is one less person going to change that much?) and go stun the sapper too or focusing on the adds that the tanks are bringing into the purple swirl.
    Also, when you start DPSing the drakes, you'll understand two things:
    1- You can actually go near them and melee them (i did on my DK on LFR);
    2- After they break free from the rope, they become 'immune' to new attacks. The dots will still tick, but you can't send new attacks at them even if they are in range.
    With you 6 minutes cooldown ability, how much difference are you going to make by hitting a drake for... 5 seconds? And that's ONCE in a fight.
    In this particular fight, it'd be best to use HotW to focus on blackhorn's mount, those void zones she makes are always annoying and she never seems to run away fast enough. But again, HotW is really needed in a group with no ranged DPS.

Spine: killing tenticle whitout a chance of flipping DW

I do LFR on my alt DK every week. LFR doesn't have the brightest people in the world, how can you have a chance of flipping DW on that fight when not even the LFR idiots do?

Madness: killing the tenticle while staying in melee range of the wing or arm tenicle so you can keep rip & rake up for extra dps

If HotW allows you to pull as much DPS in caster as you do in cat form, it'll be nerfed. Besides, that cenario sounds complicated. You'll need to keep moonfire, savage roar, rake and rip up, while chaining wrath, shred and mangle. Though the madness fight is big enough that you'll be able to do that 2 or 3 times.

there are a lot of fight where you have moment of 5 to 10 secs where you cannot melee so ranged pew pew will help there, at the verry least it gives a cool diversion in play style

If you have to move for 10 seconds, you'll put moonfire on the boss and use some rejuvenations. 1,5 seconds of global cooldown, that gives you 6 casts. You might have to move around so frequently that you can do that twice during the 45 seconds the cooldown is up. But most of the time, you'll get 6 casts out of a 6 minute cooldown spell. It's just weak for pve content.
    I feel HotW might really end up being great for pvp, but those 10 seconds once a fight really don't justify a talent point at lvl 90

Some of my thoughts on the updatet druid talents and how I would spec as a pvp feral player if these was final:

Tier 1. I hate this one! Splitting up charge and cat/travel form speed into 2 different talents is a huge nerf). I hope that they take away the whole Wild charge talent and instead separate cat/bear charge to feral/guardian specialization, bound backward to balance specialization, non-shaped to resto specialization and let travel and aquatic leap/speed be on all specialization (or travel leap to be a resto specialization).
    If I had to play feral pvp in MoP with talents and specialization as it is right now I would bitter choose Wild charge because it gives the most mobility. But i would grief over not to run in 145% in cat and 155% in travel form. Displacer beast without removal of dots/harmfull effects is nearly useless in pvp it also have a long cool down.

Tier 2. Renewal and Cenarion Ward seems okey but I would say a 1 min cd NS is by far the best talent for feral pvp in the tier 2 line.

Tier 3. I would pick Typhoon for interrupting.

Tier 4. Incarnation seems to both be a good burst talent and a good survivability talent.

Tier 5. No doubt that Mighty Bash is a good talent (even if paladins tier 2 talent Fist of Justice is alot better) I feel ferals already have enough stuns in their disposal. Ursol's Vortex seems interesting but I'm not sure how the skill plays out. So for now in the tier 5 line I would go for Disorienting Roar for
    more control

Tier 6. Disentanglement!! Oh how I have missed to get out of roots, only now we also have a decent heal every 30 sec. I do fear that this talant may be removed again before MoP launch or right after....I cross my fingers that it won't. The other talent in tier 6 line is pure crap!

PS.I realy hope Predatory Swiftness get the 20% per combo back again!