Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Kil'Jaeden's Cunning + Malefic grasp = super OP?

So I plan to play my warlock for MoP so I was looking through the new talents and stuff to see which spec might be best. I noticed the level 90 talent, Kil'Jaeden's Cunning, might be really good for affliction.

The spell "Malefic Grasp" deals damage over 3 seconds (casting it again before the time is up adds 3 seconds to the channel time. stacks up to 5 times) and is channeled but the key to this combo is that while your target is affected my Malefic Grasp "all of your periodic spells tick 100% faster". Now, Kil'Jaeden's Grasp says that you can cast and channel while moving but doing so "doubles the cast time or period of the spell". Yes, this does affect the damage that Malefic Grasp does over time which is a minus but if i'm reading it right I don't think it would affect the "all of your periodic spells tick 100% faster" part because that is just a static affect that happens as long as the target is being affected by Malefic Grasp. Not only that, but Kil'Jaeden's Cunning doubles the channel time of Malefic Grasp which could also be a blessing in disguise.

In short, will the affliction rotation just be
    1) dot boss up.
    2) cast Malefic Grasp 4 times (channel the 5th) so it stacks to a 15 second channel but double the time b/c of Kil'Jaeden's Cunning = 30 second channel.
    3) run around like an idiot for ~30 seconds while benefiting from double damage dots.
    4) repeat 1-3

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if it ticks 5 times in 15 seconds it will tick 5 times in thirty seconds, however I assume that if we move while casting, we can just recast it when we are done and it reset's it. that's the point imo

Edit: you wont be casting it 4 times in a row, you will be casting it whenever it drops below a 3 second timer, however you'll be reapplying dots before you get to the fifth re-cast.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Deleted
    As has been seen with our other drains, if our cast time is slowed, they tick slower so you still get the same amount of ticks per cast, it would just take longer.

What you're suggesting would technically be possible with mg. You would get less physical damage and your dots SHOULD tick 100% faster, however I imagine due to the movement they would also tick 50% slower, thus nullifying the 100% from MG, leaving you just looking stupid running around with a giant black beam to your target.

At least I hope that's the case or pvp will be fucking hillarious for me... 200%speed dots on a target that can't catch me.
    Last edited by mmoce7a0623b54; 2012-02-17 at 04:46 AM.

doesnt work like that .... the increased cast will effect channeld spells as well
    lets say 15 sec duration tick each 3 sec
    while moving it will be 30 sec duration tick each 6 sec

You'd still have to keep in mind refreshing things like haunt, nightfall procs, and maintaining dots, so I doubt you'd just be able to leave it on a long channel while you run about.
    Still, Affliction would be super fantastic for mobile DPS with this. I can't see it being horribly overpowered though.

He's right though in that the DoTs will be ticking faster while you move. I assume instant cast spells or non-chanelled DoTs already on the boss won't suddenly tick slower because you're moving, so the DoTs will tick at 200% speed even though MG will be ticking at 50% speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cemila View Post
    He's right though in that the DoTs will be ticking faster while you move. I assume instant cast spells or non-chanelled DoTs already on the boss won't suddenly tick slower because you're moving, so the DoTs will tick at 200% speed even though MG will be ticking at 50% speed.
    ... why would they?
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    ... why would they?
    Because despite the fact they're instant, casting them on the move whilst specced in cunning means they tick 50% slower, the grasp 100% effect will then bring this speed back up to default tick speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking the same thing... we'll see in Beta I spose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adt View Post
    Because despite the fact they're instant, casting them on the move whilst specced in cunning means they tick 50% slower, the grasp 100% effect will then bring this speed back up to default tick speed.
    Well cunning only activates when you move during a cast, casting a instant cast spell wouldn't activate this, even if you are moving.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Well cunning only activates when you move during a cast, casting a instant cast spell wouldn't activate this, even if you are moving.
    but that's where the confusion lies, you can't say that with certainty until beta.
    Either way I can say that dots ticking this way, whilst technically following the mechanics, won't make it through to live, purely because of the QQ/damage it would cause.

10+ Year Old Account
    but that's where the confusion lies, you can't say that with certainty until beta.
    Either way I can say that dots ticking this way, whilst technically following the mechanics, won't make it through to live, purely because of the QQ/damage it would cause.
    Yes I can, because this question was asked in a Q%A

No I'm not gonna go find it

Deleted
    Proof or it didn't happen.

Either way, it won't make it through to live, 200% faster dots whilst on the move is just "one of those things" that was skipped over when they considered implementing cunning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Proof or it didn't happen.

Either way, it won't make it through to live, 200% faster dots whilst on the move is just "one of those things" that was skipped over when they considered implementing cunning.
    That's silly, the transcript is somewere, you go find it, it was clearly stated that this is not the case for this spell. the blue's post went something like this

"the spell will only activate when you move during, or begin to cast while moving, a spell that requires you to stand still while casting, dots will not be affected by this"

proff or it didn't happen is a silly way to debate something, who goes to a debate and waves proof in the other person's face, outside of court?

Deleted
    I'm on my phone, with no access to a computer, if you think I'm spending my time looking for a quote that may not even exist with 2+ minute page load times you're more delusional than I thought you were for believing this will make to to live.

Also, actually pretty much everything in the grown up world relies on proof, hate to break it to you
    Courts are one example as you stated, want to sell something? Market research aka get proof it sells, develop, make money. Want me to carry on?

Quote Originally Posted by Cemila View Post
    Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to say. Malefic Grasp will certainly tick 50% slower but losing the damage that actually comes from MG will be a small tradeoff for having all your other dots tick twice as fast as long as MG is active. And about the speculation on if instant cast things are affected by Kil'Jaeden's Cunning for their full duration by being applied when moving...who cares? Even if they are, just stop for 4 seconds, re-apply, and keep moving. Just as Cemila said, I also assume that dots already on the target won't tick 50% slower while moving because then wouldn't that completely ruin the affliction spec if you take this one talent?

If this is all true I will most definitly be running around like an idiot with a beam of death on my target.

i really think that runing and casting and making your tick time slower is not an opton , and i believe that noone gonna go for it.. but lets wait and see i might be wrong with all that mechanik of moving and casting
    Borovinkata , TaHrA , Kazzak - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you want to run around like an idiot while channeling, if standing still gives you more DPS from the MG itself, even if it still does boost DOT ticks when moving?

Unless there are some heavy movement involved, simply standing still and channeling will outpds KJC any given time.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

I think a double cast time is a little bit ridiculous, considering that a 5 second demo shadow bolt or a 4 second destro incinerate would be less damage than just throwing out a fel flame.

Deleted
    Does it update on the fly? As in, start channelling MG standing still, then start moving. Would the cast time increase... halfway through the cast?