Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    I actually really liked that scene. It's meant to ground the player a bit to see theirs a real cost associated with this invasion.
    We just saw a dreadnought being blown to bits a few minutes before this scene. I think we got the message.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    We just saw a dreadnought being blown to bits a few minutes before this scene. I think we got the message.
    Interesting fact about that, it wasn't a dreadnought. On the Bioware forum, they said it was a mistake by the writing team in Kadens/Ashley's line on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuk View Post
    Completely agree with this. I hope they listen and patch it in to split up the spacebar's usage ( personally would go W for use, shift for sprint, and ctrl for cover/roll, but I'm wierd like that. ) since it would, I imagine, be an easy fix. Although I know nothing of code, it could be harder than I think. Still should get patched though.

To be fair, this is not entirely BioWare's fault. The Xbox has a 2GB size limit for demos, and the PC uses the same demo iirc. I'm hoping the options are better in live. May or may not be the case though. We'll see. Again, if they aren't in live it should be a priority fix for PC users.

Steam does the same thing. Don't act like they don't. You cannot play most, if not all, valve games outside steam. Same with Skyrim, and New vegas. I'm sure there's others but that's all I'm aware of. All the Origin hate seems so wierd, considering it's so much like Steam... but ohwell. That's not relevant to this thread.

[e]: Anyways, why I was posting here, has anyone figured out a way to respec in the multiplayer demo? ( Haven't read thread, going back to do so now. Ignore this if it's already been mentioned. Just wanted to reply before I started reading :<
    Yeah, I know it is just a Demo, but since that's all we have right now - I am going off of that. I do have to say, the previous EA title I was kind of excited about, Crysis 2, went through a large "Oh, it's just a demo" phase, but in the end it turned out that what was shipped was exactly like the Demo. One can hope that BioWare is better than CryTek at this.

@Controls: It is most likely more technologically complex than simply untying the different features. They have a system in place that determines the context of the action keys and is most likely rooted in the overall structure pretty well. They would have to rip out the guts of the controls and rewrite at least a nice chunk of them. Not having been in game development myself, my theory is pretty thin.

@Origin: So funny story, I did not know Skyrim locked you into Steam. That is actually pretty lame. I guess other Studios decided that Steam was worth it as I cannot imagine Valve locking Bethesda into their platform.
    I think part of my problem with Origin is it being EA. EA has a very checkered past, while Valve is an all-around "good guy".

Either way, EA and Valve should play nice and figure out a common API Developers can use to distribute their games. That way, we get our choice of Software platform, and Developers get their wider audience and DRM/Community features.

@Respeccing: There does not seem to be a way. I did not spend a lot of time looking for it, but I did not see an option to do so.

---------- Post added 2012-02-18 at 06:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Interesting fact about that, it wasn't a dreadnought. On the Bioware forum, they said it was a mistake by the writing team in Kadens/Ashley's line on that.
    You know, I was thinking - that ship looks way small for something called a "Dreadnought". Haha!
    What was it then?

Edit: You know what else would be cool? Crouch! Man, what a great thing we, human(oid)s have knees! We can squat down without being directly next to some kind of a surface - we can in fact be any distance from said surface, to prevent getting hot bits of pain being pelted at our face.
    Last edited by omglazor; 2012-02-18 at 07:11 AM.

Kneeling in the ME series is completely overpowered. While I do want it myself, it would completely ruin the game balance (like strafe-jumping and duck-spam-running-thingy in HL/CS).

Anyone knows how long MP in the demo will last?

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    That's meaningless especially if you've never played mass effect before. The kid scene and the way it's handled is meant to pull on your heart strings a little. It becomes much more personal than OH LOOK STUFFED BLOWED UP. The way it was handled should be evidence enough of that. The lighting changes, the camera focus is close in depth and the music playing changes.

---------- Post added 2012-02-18 at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by omglazor View Post

I felt it was forced. Like a slap to the face while yelling: HERE! THERE ARE CHILDREN DYING! YOU SHOULD CARE! IT IS SO SAD!
    Subtlety is key to emotions. Slapping me in the face with it just gives off a vibe of desperation and 'trying too hard'. This part felt like something extra, something that did not belong, an after-thought.

I am pretty sure that was very obvious from the get go. Reapers appear out of nowhere, laugh the human fleet off and start demolishing everything on Earth. If that is not a real cost to the invasion - seeing Earth and humanity being destroyed, I do not think adding a child (or any single person) dying is useful. It really was not necessary.

Here is a better way of conveying 'death and destruction': make some of those dang buildings and structures fall down! What are they made out of?! The Reapers keep blasting lasers all around them and onto highways and that loading dock you prominently see, but nothing crumbles! Not a single metal container shifts an inch.
    Buildings fall down all the time. You saw it running right at the start when the laser beam came and blew up the side of the building. Or when the chase happened between the various ships right after that. The child scene is definitely useful, it helps set the tone for what's coming. It gives the player some emotional investment in what's going on in the game. It was literally a 2 minute scene, it wasn't overdone it was just right.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2012-02-18 at 11:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's meaningless especially if you've never played mass effect before. The kid scene and the way it's handled is meant to pull on your heart strings a little. It becomes much more personal than OH LOOK STUFFED BLOWED UP. The way it was handled should be evidence enough of that. The lighting changes, the camera focus is close in depth and the music playing changes.

---------- Post added 2012-02-18 at 11:14 AM ----------

Buildings fall down all the time. You saw it running right at the start when the laser beam came and blew up the side of the building. Or when the chase happened between the various ships right after that. The child scene is definitely useful, it helps set the tone for what's coming. It gives the player some emotional investment in what's going on in the game. It was literally a 2 minute scene, it wasn't overdone it was just right.
    The kid scene could have given some emotional investment if it wasn't so damn forced. The only thing I could think of when I saw the scene was: "Did they intent for me to feel sad here?" Also the last scene where they destroy the vehicle the kid was in, why didn't they go after Shepard? I'm quite sure the reapers know who he is by now and what he has done against them. That scene just felt so stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    The kid scene could have given some emotional investment if it wasn't so damn forced. The only thing I could think of when I saw the scene was: "Did they intent for me to feel sad here?" Also the last scene where they destroy the vehicle the kid was in, why didn't they go after Shepard? I'm quite sure the reapers know who he is by now and what he has done against them. That scene just felt so stupid.
    The only part that felt forced was killing him at the end. The scene where you interact with him and he scurries through the air duct was wonderful. Killing him in the end felt over the top and unnecessary. As for they why they didn't go after Sheppard, maybe the missed? Who knows. Why did the Klingons or Romulans never just out right assassinate kirk? Why did the emperor not kill luke outright? People are so jaded and bitter these days. Your loss I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    I must admit I didn't pay much attention to it, but I'm fairly sure the reapers completely ignored Shepard, they didn't just miss. If they did attempt to hit him, sure, then I don't has as much of a problem with the scene. The writing in Mass Effect has always been a b-movie kind of quality, which is fine, but what I've seen from this one so far seems below that. Which is kind of sad in a game where the writing is supposed to be the main reason to play it.

The Reapers don't consider Shepard an actual threat, as they believe themselves to be unbeatable. They do believe Shepard is the greatest organic being in the galaxy though, and I doubt they've given up on their plans of using him in the construction of a Human Reaper. Killing him is fine, because they have technology far greater than Cerberus', but vaporizing him with a giant laser would kind of put a hole in their plan. Killing him is fine, but killing him like that would be inconvenient.

I must admit I didn't pay much attention to it, but I'm fairly sure the reapers completely ignored Shepard, they didn't just miss. If they did attempt to hit him, sure, then I don't has as much of a problem with the scene. The writing in Mass Effect has always been a b-movie kind of quality, which is fine, but what I've seen from this one so far seems below that. Which is kind of sad in a game where the writing is supposed to be the main reason to play it.
    The writing in the first game was EXCELLENT. This is coming from someone who has read the masters of science fiction for years. The second one was good but not as good I felt. It had its moments but I suppose it was impossible to recreate the feeling of the first one. From what I've seen of the 3rd one it will be about as good as the second one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    The Reapers don't consider Shepard an actual threat, as they believe themselves to be unbeatable. They do believe Shepard is the greatest organic being in the galaxy though, and I doubt they've given up on their plans of using him in the construction of a Human Reaper. Killing him is fine, because they have technology far greater than Cerberus', but vaporizing him with a giant laser would kind of put a hole in their plan. Killing him is fine, but killing him like that would be inconvenient.
    That makes sense, I forgot about their plans with the human reapers.

15+ Year Old Account
    After playing the demo I am really disheartened. The dialogue is terrible, facial animations are terrible, the appearances of the characters have been reworked, the cover system isn't working well and the gameplay just doesn't seem right to me. Hopefully this will be fixed come the release of the game or perhaps need not be fixed as bioware may have chosen the demo material simply because they didn't want to give away good dialogue and awesome combat while giving as an adequate taste of ME3.

Also what happened to normal being the new veteran? It was pretty faceroll easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abominator View Post
    After playing the demo I am really disheartened. The dialogue is terrible, facial animations are terrible, the appearances of the characters have been reworked, the cover system isn't working well and the gameplay just doesn't seem right to me. Hopefully this will be fixed come the release of the game or perhaps need not be fixed as bioware may have chosen the demo material simply because they didn't want to give away good dialogue and awesome combat while giving as an adequate taste of ME3.

Also what happened to normal being the new veteran? It was pretty faceroll easy.
    Dialogue is missing in the Demo, Bioware stated that over twitter. Animation quality is like that because, as they further stated over twitter, it's an earlier build than the release client. Appearance changes are subjective. Cover System and Gameplay, I'm not even sure what you're saying there.

As for normal being the new veteran; I thought it was certainly harder than ME2 at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Abominator View Post

It was easy, but trust me, I just finished a playthrough of ME2 before the demo came out, and it's a lot harder. Enemies are just way more tanky in ME3, and on the higher difficulties this forces you to use CC, because it's impossible to win a straight up shootout with enemies without either instagibbing them, (coming around a corner with a point blank shotgun headsot for example) or taking a buttload of damage and risking near-instant death.

Harder doesn't mean hard, it means that it's comparatively more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    It was easy, but trust me, I just finished a playthrough of ME2 before the demo came out, and it's a lot harder. Enemies are just way more tanky in ME3, and on the higher difficulties this forces you to use CC, because it's impossible to win a straight up shootout with enemies without either instagibbing them, (coming around a corner with a point blank shotgun headsot for example) or taking a buttload of damage and risking near-instant death.

Harder doesn't mean hard, it means that it's comparatively more difficult.
    I don't know if its the enemies are beefier or the weapons are weaker. In the multiplayer mode the weapons all feel kinda weak.

I don't know if its the enemies are beefier or the weapons are weaker. In the multiplayer mode the weapons all feel kinda weak.
    Hard to say until we get our hands on the actual game. It may just be that we're lacking weapon upgrades and higher tier weapons. When I get some trigger time with my upgraded Revenant in the release version I'll have a more solid opinion on it.

M-98 Widow still packs one hell of a punch, takes about 2.5 bars of an Atlas Armor / shot aswell as instagibbing all the normal enemies unless you hit them in the toe or something

Mass Effect 2 Is only $4.99 on Amazon right now. So If you have not played It yet, or don't have It anymore go and buy It.

I think I'll put on a point that I kinda think about when people say about the kid dying scene being forced.

What Bioware I believe was going with was generally the idea, "You can't put a face on a million people."

Now, how well they did it in the demo I wasn't too OMG about, but the idea to me was, them saying a million people died due to the reapers landing is somewhat of a player punch, but it hits a lot harder when you know people who died.

Good examples would be in the other Mass Effect games, *SPOILERS AHOY*

A companion of yours dies, somebody you may have grown to see, maybe even really liked, then they die. It's a lot sadder than hearing "Oh, a planet was blown up."

Now, the scene I felt was sad, it's not a faceless soldier who died, it was somebody you met, and actually spoke with, it wasn't a -very- sad scene, but it did have an emotional note.

In general though, I thought the demo was decent, I am sad they took out some of the choices for the demo, but it wasn't too bad, really the spacebar doing everything was what bugged me more than anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cant wait to fight some munstas with my Quarian girlfriend, Tali
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe