Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    "Jodi calls" are all to accurate I'm afraid. GI's are often guilty of this too though, I've heard plenty of NCO's on TDY calim it doesn't count in a different zipcode.
    We called it the Blue Light District or Blue Light Special on Camp Lejeune. You could roll around base housing and the ones with blue lights/chem lights outside were unlocked and waiting.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

I haven't noticed. My brother is in the military and his wife has never gained any weight except for when she was pregnant (which is a good thing!). One of my best friends is also a military wife and she used to have an eating disorder. Since she has been with her husband she has gained a healthy amount of weight, and is still much skinnier than most of America. She has recently gotten pregnant and put on baby weight. But that aside I don't really live in a military community. But I do know that a lot of those military wives are away from friends and family. I am sure it's easy for them to slip into depression whenever their spouse is away on leave and they worry that any day they could get a call saying they are dead. To sit there and call them moochers seems unfair to me. Some of those women are supporting their guy in a way that some of you could never understand. I'm not going to claim they are all saints, because I have heard stories from my friend and sister in law about some of those women and the things they do when their husbands are on leave.

As for the parking thing I wouldn't know anything about it.

Yup. That's the dependapotamous or the BMW. Big Military Wife.

I don't really buy into the idea that the spouse has an undue amount of stress. I knew plenty of soldiers whose wives went out and got positive hobbies or, dare I say it, jobs and education.

Quote Originally Posted by littlewisp View Post
    Growing up, the biggest thing I noticed was when spouses hijack power. Case in point: Base commander's wife was putting on a party for his graduating daughter. They were allowing boys and girls to spend the night at their home. My mother was uncomfortable letting my sister spend the night. You know what she got? Name and rank dropping, and vague insinuations about my father's career. Also, my fiance used to work as a lifeguard at the base pool. If a spouse got upset about something, even if it was petty as all get out, and his/her wife was high ranking? Oh yeah, you better believe it affected how seriously the complaint was taken.
    This is true in some (not all) cases. I knew a few guys who came back from WO training and their wives would yell at Marines to salute the car because it had a blue fucking sticker (nvm no officer was in the car, and even so, its rare to salute an officer in the car anyways....Maybe unless you know them. Like saluting BootLuts who think they need to salute you back so they can't shift gears). I never understood the whole power hungry wife deal.

This is an awesome comic strip, and it touches on some real issues in the Military (and this thread!)

http://terminallance.com/2010/06/15/...y-no-one-does/
    http://terminallance.com/2010/08/06/...ependapotamus/
    Last edited by NoRest4Wicked; 2012-02-18 at 12:28 AM.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Redriot View Post
    This is true in some (not all) cases. I knew a few guys who came back from WO training and their wives would yell at Marines to salute the car because it had a blue fucking sticker (nvm no officer was in the car, and even so, its rare to salute an officer in the car anyways....Maybe unless you know them. Like saluting BootLuts who think they need to salute you back so they can't shift gears). I never understood the whole power hungry wife deal.

This is an awesome comic strip, and it touches on some real issues in the Military (and this thread!)

http://terminallance.com/2010/06/15/...y-no-one-does/
    http://terminallance.com/2010/11/12/...hug-sometimes/
    Damn you. I just read that entire webcomic in one sitting. Simply because it's a webcomic. MY ONE WEAKNESS!!!
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

Deleted
    Must be a American thing by the sounds (not being anti american or lolololol your all fatties) in the UK and lived on a few military bases I've rarely seen more than average amount of fatties, where I live now there's literally only a few fat people.

1. I'm guessing stress/lack of focus on appearance without the spouse

2. you can bitch all you want but I sure as hell ain't gonna invoke the wrath of the higher ranked and ESPECIALLY not their wives
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. My mom did not get all fat when my dad was deployed. Maybe it is because everyone is fat now? That and stress eating.

2. Spouses should get the same respect as their mates. It is not easy raising kids alone and knowing that your loved one is in harm's way. Living with an officer is no picnic either.

I thought that you would mention all of the promiscuity that occurs while they are home alone for months at a time.

As some have mentioned, the politicking around there among officers is also ridiculous.
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-02-18 at 04:18 AM.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I thought that you would mention all of the promiscuity that occurs while they are home alone for months at a time.
    Its been discussed in some of the posts but its a two way game. I did two tours (granted I was single both times) and the amount of hooking up that happened over there was insane and I personally know a slew of married men and women who took part in it as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't buy the stress of your loved one's deployment. Take out that frustration at the gym. That's what I did when all hell was breaking lose at home for me. Its a lack of self-discipline. I think a lot of spouses use that as an excuse.

I've noticed another section of morbidly obese at bases in the middle of no where. Probably because there is absolutely nothing to do but drink and watch grass grow. All the sane women jumped ship the second they turn 18. Minot AFB is a decent place if your already married. The pure embodiment of Hell if your young, single, and male. That said, Land Whales usually aren't going to run off and cheat on you the second your overseas. I've seen it so many times where some young man meets who he thinks is the woman of his life, only for him to get a call from someone in his unit saying they've seen her fooling around with other men when he's deployed.

I've had a few problems with the wives of higher ranking personnel before, and all of them were solved with addressing this to their husbands when I see an incident happen in front of me. Rubbing in your spouses achievements when you have none of your own is pathetic.
    Last edited by raist474; 2012-02-18 at 04:56 AM.

Never noticed number 1 as a pattern, tho I do know my share of military wives who do look like they've been hitting the ben & jerry a bit too much.

As for #2, it goes WAY beyond that. We've had officers sending their military vehicles with their military drivers on family errands like picking up kids from school or wives from grocery shopping.

I would think that the first case isn't military-specific. Some people just aren't motivated and/or disciplined when they're not working. Others can be.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Yep, I used to see it all the time. I attribute it to depression, has to be really hard on a spouse to know their significant other is in very serious danger. My buddy came home to this on his deployment he got shredded and his wife became an alcoholic and put on about 30lbs... looked like a bag of ass. This common image kept me from getting married while I was in.

2. Hate it 100%... even worse was when they would catch an attitude and say something to the effect of 'do you know who my husband is'... doesn't matter lady, you're still a civilian to me.

---------- Post added 2012-02-18 at 05:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by darqhur View Post
    Yup. That's the dependapotamous or the BMW. Big Military Wife.
    That is fucking classic... dependapotamous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Being draw and quartered is too good for them.
    Why? If the husband is putting his job before hes wife and family, it's only fair when the wife puts her needs before the husbands.

But yea, OT, I can perfectly understand them. Being married to a military husband would either need the wife to be very selfish, so once they have a man "hooked" they just don't care about their looks any more and start eating and using the paycheck and the privileges. Or just spend time with other men and backups.

Personally I wouldn't get married to a military man unless he agrees to change hes job though and if he wanted to do it after getting married it would be "forget about it or divorce, honey"

10+ Year Old Account
    @ita, and here all along I thought you russians were very pro military.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    @ita, and here all along I thought you russians were very pro military.
    You russians? What gave you that idea? I'm from Sweden.

Anyway, I know countries need defenders and all that and I'm all for paid army but I wouldn't sacrifice personal happiness and family for that. Let someone else do it and deal with it But yea, serving in military and family just don't go well together. You either sacrifice one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Bane Falcon View Post
    Damn you. I just read that entire webcomic in one sitting. Simply because it's a webcomic. MY ONE WEAKNESS!!!
    Same, but it had some pretty funny ones, so it was worth it.

OT: People get fat because of a lack of motivation, in most cases. Stress and depression can cover the others, but only in cases where the people are poor at coping with stress and depression.

why does it matter?

if the military person is happy being married to a fat person, so what?

something wrong with being happy?
    Last edited by crica; 2012-02-18 at 12:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    You russians? What gave you that idea? I'm from Sweden.

Anyway, I know countries need defenders and all that and I'm all for paid army but I wouldn't sacrifice personal happiness and family for that. Let someone else do it and deal with it But yea, serving in military and family just don't go well together. You either sacrifice one or the other.

---------- Post added 2012-02-18 at 01:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by crica View Post
    why does it matter?

if the military person is happy being married to a fat person, so what?

something wrong with being happy?
    Not a problem in the world, they just don't start out fat... they start out hot, husband goes on a 9 month deployment, they go on a 9 month eating binge, husband comes home to jaba the hut and have you seen the divorce rate in the military? They ain't happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post

Not a problem in the world, they just don't start out fat... they start out hot, husband goes on a 9 month deployment, they go on a 9 month eating binge, husband comes home to jaba the hut and have you seen the divorce rate in the military? They ain't happy.
    oh - well, then they get divorced and find someone else to be happy with.

so what?

still not sure why it matters?

if the military person don't want to be married to a fat person, all they have to do is speak up and tell them before they leave.

then its up to the spouse to decide if they want to get fat and divorce or not hehe