Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The Finer Things Club

You may be asking yourself right now, "what is the Finer Things Club?". In a nutshell, it's a club for those who enjoy the finer things in life, be they of the mind (poetry, reading or song), or of the body (chocolate, whiskey, wine, or cigars). Anyone can join, so long as they follow these simple rules:

1. No paper.
    2. No plastic.
    3. No WoW/MMO talk allowed.
    4. No rude, crude, or lewd behavior/discussion; this is a happy place to share experiences.
    5. No bashing/insulting of what others enjoy.
    6. No being a silly ninny. You're being watched. Yes, you Jenkins. And you too, Skibbins.
    I'll set the precedent for membership into the Finer Things Club. You must provide us with a post about a finer thing you enjoy in life, why you enjoy, what sorts of things you can expect from it, how to enjoy it, etc.

This time around mine will be chocolate. I'm not speaking of milk chocolate, but dark, rich, sensual chocolate. There's nothing more pleasing than enjoying some pieces of dark chocolate from different quality vendors, letting each piece melt on your tongue and savoring the myriad rainbow of flavors each presents. Right now I'm enjoying some Green and Black's Dark 85%, a heavy and complex piece of chocolate. As it melts on your tongue, you get many bright, acidic notes of fruit, cherries, raspberries and strawberries. There's hints of citrus. Slowly the flavors darken on your tongue, a smokey bitterness similar to good coffee lingering for a while.

Chocolate can be enjoyed either by itself, or with augmentation. Wine is a particularly good pairing with chocolate, provided you choose the right one. It's best to know the flavor profile of your chocolate beforehand, so you can pair it with the most appropriate wine. For me, the 85% is complemented nicely with a Blackstone Merlot, which has many of the same flavor notes. You can also enjoy chocolate with good whiskey; Glenmorangie 18 melds particularly well with this chocolate, with its hints of smoke and honey.

Come and join us, won't you? Gain entry into the membership of the Finer Things Club and expand your horizons. Who knows? You might find a finer thing to enjoy.

Current Members:
    - Halmotors
    - gunner_recall
    - jackofwind
    - Skelington
    - Drockrock
    - Rakeer
    Last edited by halmotors; 2012-02-24 at 02:16 AM.

I like Keystone Light. Some can't appreciate it's refined palate.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall View Post
    I like Keystone Light. Some can't appreciate it's refined palate.
    I'd like you to expand on that, if you don't mind.

Skelington hopes he can be a member of such a refined party. As you can see, he is quite classy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh hi wh... wat.

Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    I'd like you to expand on that, if you don't mind.
    A nice frosted glass, so chilled you have to wear a glove just to hold it. Keystone Light, poured into it, the drink of the gods, it's cold enough that a light mist rolls off of like morning fog on a lake of gold. You raise it to your lips and the slightly bitter, partially pungent tang of the beverage rolls down your throat, chilling your core and lightening your spirit.

10+ Year Old Account
    i choose poo.

i wish to be free to speak of the wonder of poo, truly one of the most abundant finer things in life. I want to discuss the intrinsic beauty of poo, the rush of adrenaline as it falls from my anus into the water, and the soft and comforting plop it produces when it strikes the yellowing, urine-tinged water of the toilet bowl.

whether or not you wish to hear about it i will share with you the sense of accomplishment i feel when i produce a pungent poo. the feeling of awe and admiration that my digestive tract could turn a mouthful of carrots into such a wondrous and smelly brown mess on the shower floor, mixing with the steam after having expelled itself with youthful exuberance and enveloping me in its odorous, albeit shortlived majesty.

would that i could coat everything in my daily routine in poo, that i might bask in its terracotta colored, gaseous glory all day long. nothing in life can compete to a freshly steaming poo, whether it be baking lazily against the front porch in the summer sun, its tantalizing perfume beckoning passers by to recline beside it, or resting elegantly on the grass of a freshly mowed field, slowly dribbling down the shorn blades of grass to tinge the earth with the signs of its fruitful victory.

if there is a heaven, it is poo.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Skelington hopes he can be a member of such a refined party. As you can see, he is quite classy.
    Prove to us that you enjoy a Finer Thing in life, and membership is yours to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall View Post
    A nice frosted glass, so chilled you have to wear a glove just to hold it. Keystone Light, poured into it, the drink of the gods, it's cold enough that a light mist rolls off of like morning fog on a lake of gold. You raise it to your lips and the slightly bitter, partially pungent tang of the beverage rolls down your throat, chilling your core and lightening your spirit.
    Welcome to the club.

See, I'm down with Bidets.

That old chestnut.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    poo monologue
    This is an example of rude, crude, lewd behavior.

>finer things in life
    >still plays wow
    >notsurehowugotherebutyouaremisinformed

10+ Year Old Account
    This is an example of rude, crude, lewd behavior.
    i am offended that you are too close-minded to appreciate the joy of a fulfilling bowel movement

Prove to us that you enjoy a Finer Thing in life, and membership is yours to behold.
    Oh, but of course. Skelington adores top hats and monocles, and, as you can see, bears a marvelous moustache of the gentry. He merrily strolls with his cane and drinks the finest of teas whilst engaging in splendid conversations with his brethren of the aristocracy.

I will vouch for the refined behaviors of Skelington. He is both a gentleman and a scholar.

Oh, but of course. Skelington adores top hats and monocles, and, as you can see, bears a marvelous moustache of the gentry. He merrily strolls with his cane and drinks the finest of teas whilst engaging in splendid conversations with his brethren of the aristocracy.
    Expand on the teas. Bring us into your tea-sipping world, Skelington.

---------- Post added 2012-02-23 at 06:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Strykie View Post
    >finer things in life
    >still plays wow
    >notsurehowugotherebutyouaremisinformed
    You can enjoy the finer things in life and still play WoW and other games. Playing a video game doesn't immediately make someone incapable of also enjoying a fine cigar or an old scotch, it just means you're comfortable enough with who you are to enjoy both things. You should expand your horizons and try some of these things; life is too short to not make every attempt to enjoy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I frequently raid while sipping Hennessy if it makes you feel any better. Though I do still enjoy a good poo.

Expand on the teas. Bring us into your tea-sipping world, Skelington.
    Oh! the heavens! The wonders! The sipping of tea floods Skelington with nostalgia! Warm as a bear cub, hibernating in it's mother's arms; thick as the waters upon a mountain stream, diluted with blood, as though one were drinking life itself; refreshing as a pubescent child's first experience in masturbation; and promising, like the outstretched hand of a true lover, reassuring that felicity and tranquility will forever glint through the challenges ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    I frequently raid while sipping Hennessy if it makes you feel any better. Though I do still enjoy a good poo.
    I will make an exception for the expelling of poo, as we can certainly argue that it's one of life's finer guilty pleasures. Nothing quite puts a spring in your step like your morning ablutions.

As to the Hennessy...mixed, or neat?

---------- Post added 2012-02-23 at 06:41 PM ----------

Oh! the heavens! The wonders! The sipping of tea floods Skelington with nostalgia! Warm as a bear cub, hibernating in it's mother's arms; thick as the waters upon a mountain stream, diluted with blood, as though one were drinking life itself; refreshing as a pubescent child's first experience in masturbation; and promising, like the outstretched hand of a true lover, reassuring that felicity and tranquility will forever glint through the challenges ahead!
    Brother. Join us.

I will make an exception for the expelling of poo, as we can certainly argue that it's one of life's finer guilty pleasures. Nothing quite puts a spring in your step like your morning ablutions.

As to the Hennessy...mixed, or neat?
    Blasphemies, sir.

Brother. Join us.
    It would be Skelington's honor.