Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shriekbat View Post
    I heard they were looking for 18+ with decent computers
    And I think actually this game will attract alot of people not just because the game looks brilliant, but because it's an mmo that ships with no monthly fees. This will make people hesitate less before getting into the game I'm sure
    A lot of people get even more hesitant towards there being no sub fee as they think that all well made MMOs has them and needs them to keep being of good quality and successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    Yes, but there is a difference between posting constructively about game flaws, and coming into a thread just to spread negativity.
    Yes I agree. But the person I quoted was basically parading that if you don't like something gtfo. In my mind if you don't like something you try and change it.

Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    A lot of people get even more hesitant towards there being no sub fee as they think that all well made MMOs has them and needs them to keep being of good quality and successful.
    No probs I can give them my paypal or bank adress where they can send their 15$ a month if it will make em feel better 8).
    But yeah I agree its bit like a two edged sword atm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Oh, there will absolutely be tons of bugs. What a small scale press event can discover in the space of a weekend will PALE in comparison to what thousands of obsessive players will find. They'll rip the game apart and find bugs in all corners... that's just what happens with large scale games.
    For the best as well. The more the merrier during beta - lets just hope they don't make launch.

Deleted
    i am hoping that Anet doesn't pick the people that signed with more then 1 email adress ^^. That they do ip checks and such. That would be hilarious

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onaturi View Post
    i am hoping that Anet doesn't pick the people that signed with more then 1 email adress ^^. That they do ip checks and such. That would be hilarious
    They will hopefully check MAC addresses (basically serial numbers on your hardware parts) so that you can't benefit from signing up with several emails from the same PC even with the use of a proxy.

But people that sign up from different PC setups with different emails will still have an advantage (I'm not that concerned about this as it is much more rare).

That's a very impressive number for a 48-hour beta sign up. Seems that the lack of advertising hasn't made the game any less popular.

There go my chances of getting into the beta, though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    That's a very impressive number for a 48-hour beta sign up. Seems that the lack of advertising hasn't made the game any less popular.

There go my chances of getting into the beta, though.
    In the Reddit AMA they did yesterday Mike Ferguson stated that they will need tens of thousands of beta testers.

So the chances are quite high.

Don't forget that they will pick randomly for every beta weekend and not just use the same people for all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by HarlekinFilx View Post
    It's not, but where it took SW:ToR ~2 years to get two million preorders, GW2 got 1 million beta testers within 48 hours.

It's a feat.
    cant understand why people want numbers from other games epsecially when other games have beta sign ups through there accounts on the website which makes your whole throwing numbers around kinda void.
    GW2 didnt do this as it was seperate from signing up to the newsletter/ site or whatever and in a small time frame, so 2 years of accounts - 48 hours only....... would probably find the numbers arnt that much different.
    Whatever it takes though to put down other games i guess.
    Why care as long as it does good?
    Last edited by BatteredSausage; 2012-02-25 at 06:37 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So when will they start picking people?

Quote Originally Posted by Tury123 View Post
    To be honest i think they will start doing it next week or the week after that but thats my opinion, why else only do a 48 hour sign up thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    I agree. I just hope the people who get in aren't like 13 years old. I hope whoever gets in actually TESTS the game instead of just signing up to play it early.
    I agree a gazillion percent. I really hope there will be some level of moderation in the game to remove those types.

---------- Post added 2012-02-25 at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tury123 View Post
    I'm almost willing to bet there will be people going in this coming weekend. If media beta was so smooth and then only having sign ups for 48 hours it kind of makes sense (imho).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    Yes I agree. But the person I quoted was basically parading that if you don't like something gtfo. In my mind if you don't like something you try and change it.
    That's probably a reason why people stick around terrible MMOs for so long. They keep hoping that something will change for the better, or hope the developers will listen to their pleas. The funny thing is whenever a request is selected and implemented into an MMO that was presented by the player, it's usually the most idiotic suggestion made yet. For example WoW players beg Blizzard for Paladin fixes; doesn't happen. However, when 5 people at Blizzcon remind Blizzard about the TBC Pandaren idea, then Blizzard's all over that shit!

The fact is, games rarely change by logical player suggestion, and 90% of the time, most suggestions get ignored.
    Companies are going to make the game the way they want, and there's little anyone can do to change that. So if a game sucks, stop playing it, or you could always keep trying to "change" the game over and over again...what's the definition of that again?

Oh yeah...insanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    However, when 5 people at Blizzcon remind Blizzard about the TBC Pandaren idea, then Blizzard's all over that shit!
    I don't want to start some flame-fest, but that is most definitely not how it happened. This may be the GW2 sub-forum, but there's no call to smack-talk a Blizzard game just because you disagree with a design decision that was based on much wider evidence than 5 people putting the idea to developers. There is, in fact, a poll over in the General Discussion forum here on MMO-Champion that more people hate GNOMES than PANDAREN.

Do you remember how many people were bashing and hating on Worgen before Cata came out? Have you noticed that everybody seems to have forgotten about their Worgen hatred, and don't really care anymore?
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-02-25 at 07:04 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I got a little too passionate with that post, my apologies, but my point still stands. Nothing really changes much by player suggestion, and honestly it's not always a good thing to take some suggestions in consideration. It would be insane to sit around waiting for changes if you're not enjoying the game. If you don't like it, simply don't play it. And if something does happen to change for the better, give it another shot. If it's still bad to you, then just move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredSausage View Post
    cant understand why people want numbers from other games epsecially when other games have beta sign ups through there accounts on the website which makes your whole throwing numbers around kinda void.
    GW2 didnt do this as it was seperate from signing up to the newsletter/ site or whatever and in a small time frame, so 2 years of accounts - 48 hours only....... would probably find the numbers arnt that much different.
    Whatever it takes though to put down other games i guess.
    Why care as long as it does good?
    Its the same reason folks collect stats on sports teams and brag about them to folks that suport opposing teams. Its very much like if your sports team that many fans of the bigger name teams said would never go anywhere suddenly jumped into the running for the championship. You'd be very much excited and happy to rub it in the nose of the other teams fans a bit after they poo poo'd your team for years.

And no the different methods of doing the signups does not void the results. Yes folks could try and sign up multipul times through Anet's method but nothing stoped folks from makeing many different TOR accounts 2 years ago either, I know at least one friend that had 20 TOR forum accounts to improve his beta chances. The main reasons the number was impressive in comparison is the shorter time frame, the much less well known IP, and the less well known developer. Honestly you could slap a starwars sticker on anything and it will gather intrest while a majority of folks will say "Guild What?" if you mention guildwars. Bioware has also been a big name in the gameing market for a long time so they generate some intrest just from that.

Finally we have the small window of opportunity to sign up. It did not have huge name recognition and alot of time to draw folks in to sign up. Effectively its mainly those highly interested that likely would have noticed and signed up before time expired. It's showing there is far far more intrest in the game than its detractors have been hoping. Many figure GW1 was a nitch market with a small following and GW2 will be no different but these numbers indicate its far from likely.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    Its the same reason folks collect stats on sports teams and brag about them to folks that suport opposing teams. Its very much like if your sports team that many fans of the bigger name teams said would never go anywhere suddenly jumped into the running for the championship. You'd be very much excited and happy to rub it in the nose of the other teams fans a bit after they poo poo'd your team for years.
    The primary reason I'd love to know such "stats" about the various online games is because of all the fanboyism going around, showing undisciplined passion for ONE game, and smack-talking other games by claiming that they're "failing"

For example, Guild Wars selling 6.5 million of the original game? That's a very large figure, and if you hear that, you might know that the game was actually very popular, even if all those accounts aren't active all at the same time. So what if it was never more popular than WoW? Once you bought the game, it was free, and you could go back whenever you wanted.

Education, rather than for gorrila-chest-beating pride, is my interest.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Well this thread goes to show that the GW2 guys know how to market their game.

Think about it. The hype has been building for GW2 for *months*, and suddenly there's a "48 hour only" beta signup. So every single person who has the slightest interest in GW2 flocks to signup, and it hits 1 million signups in that ~48 hour period. Now their marketing guys get to enjoy inflated hype from the community spreading the info that GW2 gained a million signups in 48 hours. Omitting the fact that those advertised 48 hours were the only possible time you could have signed up.

I'm not trying to say the game will be a huge flop or anything, and I'm excited for it myself. But I know a thing or two about marketing and this was a textbook marketing stunt, and really should not be used to predict the success of the game.

SWtoR would have probably seen the exact same had they done the "limited time offer 48 hour beta signup" thing.

It's a smart marketing stunt too. Rather than taking direct action, they simply influence the community into making a poor analysis and the hype automatically builds.

You can bet "1 million signups in 48 hours" is going to become a staple in the hype machine for GW2, just as the marketing guys intended.

Well this thread goes to show that the GW2 guys know how to market their game.

Think about it. The hype has been building for GW2 for *months*, and suddenly there's a "48 hour only" beta signup. So every single person who has the slightest interest in GW2 flocks to signup, and it hits 1 million signups in that ~48 hour period. Now their marketing guys get to enjoy inflated hype from the community spreading the info that GW2 gained a million signups in 48 hours. Omitting the fact that those 48 hours were the only possible time you could have signed up. They even extended the signup period so they could be sure to hit that 1 million mark. You can bet anybody with the *slightest* interest came running.

I'm not trying to say the game will be a huge flop or anything, and I'm excited for it myself. But I know a thing or two about marketing and this was a textbook marketing stunt. They created an environment where people will simply repeat "1 million signups in 48 hours" over and over, which is viewed as extremely positive hype, even though the means to accomplish it was particularly deceptive.

It's a smart marketing stunt too. Rather than taking direct action, they simply create an event that influences the community into repeating these key marketing phrases. You can bet "1 million signups in 48 hours" is going to become a staple in the hype machine for GW2, just as the marketing guys intended.

Business psychology can be a scary thing.

Again, I'm not bashing the game, predicting failure, or any other ridiculous thing the fanboys will froth at the mouth about. I'm simply making an observation that the "1 million signups in 48 hours" thing is a deceptive marketing ploy, and you're playing right into the marketing guys' hands by repeating it over and over.

Am I the only one so excited about game that I want it to release very quick and no very long beta testing? Sure game will have some bugs (in fact it will anyway despite best beta tester efforts) but can't they just patch them on the fly?