Page 10 of 404 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    You could say that, but Lin also appears to be their second best player behind Melo since STAT has been wildly mediocre this year.
    Second best player behind Chandler you mean x.x

I just think Melo is so overrated he's not a star much less a superstar, definitely not good enough to be starting in the all-star game.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, from a Knicks fan perspective, last night, Melo's return and Baron Davis' 1st game (Knicks Vs Nets, 2-20-12) was a disaster. Knicks looks sloppy and lethargic, had zero defense as Chandler was in foul trouble from seemingly the tip-off and Shump was out. Deron and the Nets were drainning 3s like it was nothing and Melo was rusty as hell (at least I hope it was rust) after the 2 weeks out And to top itof Lin look confused at times with Melo out there, like he was unsure about who to go to. They need this day off, they have two tough games coming up before the break. Home Vs the Hawks and a quick turn around away game Vs the Heat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do wonder how the T-wolves will take that OT loss. I mean, going for a dunk when you're down by 3 with just seconds to go?
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    I do wonder how the T-wolves will take that OT loss. I mean, going for a dunk when you're down by 3 with just seconds to go?
    That were dumb. Like real, real dumb. I've seen a couple people use the excuse that he was trying to draw a foul and get a three point play or get points down and then foul on the in bounds. So dumb. One relies on the massive stupidity of your defender, which nearly happened terribly enough. The other depends on a full court heave with <1 second to go probably off an intentionally missed free throw. If I remember right Rubio was wide open at the elbow to shoot an open three. Just a phenomenally terrible basketball IQ play.

---------- Post added 2012-02-21 at 03:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Well, from a Knicks fan perspective, last night, Melo's return and Baron Davis' 1st game (Knicks Vs Nets, 2-20-12) was a disaster. Knicks looks sloppy and lethargic, had zero defense as Chandler was in foul trouble from seemingly the tip-off and Shump was out. Deron and the Nets were drainning 3s like it was nothing and Melo was rusty as hell (at least I hope it was rust) after the 2 weeks out And to top itof Lin look confused at times with Melo out there, like he was unsure about who to go to. They need this day off, they have two tough games coming up before the break. Home Vs the Hawks and a quick turn around away game Vs the Heat.
    Ya things could have looked a lot worse. Deron was nailing everything yesterday for the Nets. Melo and Lin seemed to be moving the ball well between them so they should be just fine when Melo gets back in rhythm and hits those shots. Can't wait to see if the Heat take the night off against the Knicks or if they come out and absolutely obliterate them like they should be able to.

All I have to say is the Nuggets really needed that one, or I'd have needed a drink very badly.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

10+ Year Old Account
    I will say that the Heat look pretty scary to beat. With Chicago and a few other teams in the Eastern Conference...I wonder if even the Spurs/Thunder or even the Mavericks/Lakers can even touch them in a long series with the season changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watching the Knicks turn over the ball that many times in the Knicks/Heat game, they just looked terrible.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

15+ Year Old Account
    Watching the Knicks turn over the ball that many times in the Knicks/Heat game, they just looked terrible.
    Miami is the best defensive team in the NBA. Chicago may be the most consistent defense, but when the Heat are invested in a game they will absolutely shut you down with their ridiculous athleticism. Scary part is as absolutely ridiculous as they looked defensively last postseason against Chicago and Dallas at times, they look even better this year. LeBron's PER against for guys he is guarding is something around 10. That is terrible. He is dominating people. The Heat are the best team in the NBA right now and I don't even think it is very close. Chicago will get rolled unless they add another scoring option. The Knicks could be a threat as they develop, but tonight is a good indicator of what the Heat can do while they aren't even playing that well. LeBron and Wade both had bad shooting nights. The Heat still won by 14.

---------- Post added 2012-02-23 at 10:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gartoka View Post
    I will say that the Heat look pretty scary to beat. With Chicago and a few other teams in the Eastern Conference...I wonder if even the Spurs/Thunder or even the Mavericks/Lakers can even touch them in a long series with the season changes.
    Spurs, no. Thunder maybe with another scoring option. Mavs, no unless Odom turns back into Odom and they add Howard at the trade deadline. Lakers, lol no. The Heat would sweep them badly. The team in the West to watch is Memphis.

Spurs, no. Thunder maybe with another scoring option. Mavs, no unless Odom turns back into Odom and they add Howard at the trade deadline. Lakers, lol no. The Heat would sweep them badly. The team in the West to watch is Memphis.
    I think Oklahoma City is the best bet there by far. They are clearly the best team in the west, and the only team that matches Miami's athleticism. The Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka trifecta is more than capable of keeping them in a seven game series.

Deleted
    OK, can't hold off any more when see people speaking about playoffs like usual games. It's all about matchups and what it does to opposition in playoffs. 2 basic things that will make playoff games harder for Heat.
    First is fast break. There will be way less of that in playoffs. Teams make less turnovers, play more disciplined, get back quicker in defense. Second thing is LeBron's points in paint. If some teams can make it though for him to score there, he tends to get less aggressive and settle for jumpers.
    Hell, almost all of NBA forwards and centers do that these days. There are some that can shoot and are doing that by design to pull shot blockers away from basket. But I think most of it is just settling with easiest way.
    OK, rant aside, just think honestly, who of you thought that Dallas can win West last year at about midseason. And I still remember writing off Miami after first game in their series vs Chicago. That's how dominant it looked in that first day. But in playoffs it's all about matchups and adjustments. If there is someone who can harass James like Marion, put decent defense on Wade and Bosh, it's half of win.
    How far Heat goes in playoffs depends on how much LeBron and team have learned from last years mistakes at finishing games. And I'm still going with my prediction with Bulls over Heat this year. That's because I think Rose and Bulls should have learned more from last playoffs than LeBron and Heat.

P.S. I love San Antonio, but I strongly doubt about deep run into playoffs again, because scoring wins regular season, but defense wins playoffs. And they are good at scoring, but bad at defense last 2 seasons.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    I think Oklahoma City is the best bet there by far. They are clearly the best team in the west, and the only team that matches Miami's athleticism. The Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka trifecta is more than capable of keeping them in a seven game series.
    Keeping them in, absolutely. But they absolutely need another scoring option down the stretch. Durant and Westbrook are phenomenal. Hardin off the bench is phenomenal. They are going to need another perimeter threat or an interior scoring option though to really out match the Heat's defense. 4 of the 5 Heat starters have a Defensive rating of under 100 (100 points in 100 possessions). Their 5th starter Chalmers has a DRtg of 101. The Thunder have one, Ibaka. The Thunder have ridiculous talent and should win the West, but they really need another option because the Heat will obliterate Westbrook and Durant with their defense. Ask Derek Rose how their series went last year. Ibaka and Perk off the bench aren't consistent scoring inside. Hardin is better than anyone the Heat can bring off the bench for sure. If the Thunder add a guy like Ray Allen they will be a total nightmare for anyone to play.

Memphis and Oklahoma are the real threats in the West to the Heat. Memphis has ridiculous interior offense and defense with Gaosl and ZBo. They have the best perimeter defensive player in the game in Tony Allen. They have perimeter options in Gay, Conley, and Mayo off the bench. A healthy Memphis team is going to be a terrible draw for anyone in the playoffs. I think the Spurs make the Finals last year if they draw anyone but Memphis first round. This could all be moot though if Howard or Deron Williams move West at the deadline.

Deleted
    I strongly doubt Thunder will make any trades. At least nothing makes sense money wise. As for Ray Allen - he has $10M contract per year, and Thunder would have to give back something in that range.

As for west, yes Oklahoma City is considered favorite by everyone who's objective enough. Memphis is OK, but have to see how Randolph will look when he comes back. I think that's the main concern for them. And they play defense - that's a bonus come playoffs. But I wouldn't necessary put Memphis as second in west - all of last year's powerhouses are back. With some new problems, but still, why do you think they have better record than Memphis.

LAL - they gave up Odom for trade exception. So I bet something is brewing there and I really would place some cash on someone new in Lakers uniform coming march 15. And if Kobe doesn't overwork himself, they are still a solid team.
    SAS - Ginobili is down again. And I think that's the main thing for them - health. They could surprise in postseason, but hard to imagine them going to Finals.
    LAC - as I saw some really smart people talk today - their offense goes on easy baskets (lobs), and they don't play defense. There will be no easy baskets in playoffs, and they definitely will have to play decent defense to win something. I think they would definitely loose to Memphis in playoffs.
    DAL - if Odom can get himself to play, still very dangerous team. Even more scary considering Dirk is regaining his form.

@ Kaso- The Chicago offense still lives and dies with Derrick Rose. If you take him away, they are screwed. The Heat can still do that. They should have picked up a guy like JR Smith that can score as a second option, because they still don't have one. That was their fatal flaw last year and they didn't fix it.

Also, the Heat don't get fast breaks off of mistakes and careless plays. They are the best defensive team in the league and it isn't close, and every guy in their starting five can run the floor. They even try to run a break after made baskets. Also, as long as James isn't settling for 18 footers and disappearing in the 4th quarter, the Heat's offense will be fine.

@ conscript- I agree that another outside guy would be nice, but Westbrook and Durant are capable of dropping 100 by themselves. If you could have snagged a free agent scorer, that would be the way to go. My problem is: who do you trade from this team to get another shooter? I think you could screw up the team's chemistry badly. I also want to see some consistency from Memphis before I see them as a threat to win it all. They have a lot of talent, but are a young team with some headcases (ZBo, Mayo). They'll be a tough out in the playoffs for sure.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    @ conscript- I agree that another outside guy would be nice, but Westbrook and Durant are capable of dropping 100 by themselves. If you could have snagged a free agent scorer, that would be the way to go. My problem is: who do you trade from this team to get another shooter? I think you could screw up the team's chemistry badly. I also want to see some consistency from Memphis before I see them as a threat to win it all. They have a lot of talent, but are a young team with some headcases (ZBo, Mayo). They'll be a tough out in the playoffs for sure.
    OKC has pieces they could move for a guy like Allen. Nazr Mohammed is at best a bench guy to take a couple minutes from Ibaka and Perk on the Thunder this year. I think the is only playing 12 minutes a game. They could move a guy like Daequan Cook. PLus they have their first round pick which while high for sure this year, is still going to have some value in a deep draft for the soon to be rebuilding mode Celtics. Nazr would be a perfect guy for Boston. They desperately need inside help with O'Neal soon to be leaving, plus he is terrible. Nazr is still young and could be a real solid guy. The main issue is that the Thunder have absolutely no terrible, overpriced contracts to give in exchange for a guy like Ray making $10 million. They can't make a Nazr for Ray trade straight up without adding another $4.75 million to their side of the trade so it would need to be a three team setting.

OKC has pieces they could move for a guy like Allen. Nazr Mohammed is at best a bench guy to take a couple minutes from Ibaka and Perk on the Thunder this year. I think the is only playing 12 minutes a game. They could move a guy like Daequan Cook. PLus they have their first round pick which while high for sure this year, is still going to have some value in a deep draft for the soon to be rebuilding mode Celtics. Nazr would be a perfect guy for Boston. They desperately need inside help with O'Neal soon to be leaving, plus he is terrible. Nazr is still young and could be a real solid guy. The main issue is that the Thunder have absolutely no terrible, overpriced contracts to give in exchange for a guy like Ray making $10 million. They can't make a Nazr for Ray trade straight up without adding another $4.75 million to their side of the trade so it would need to be a three team setting.
    I'm not sure Boston is going to trade anyone. Their GM has been talking about trading everyone on the team since he tried to send Rondo in the Chris Paul trade that never happened. But Ainge hasn't made one deal work. He's either asking for too much or is just completely inept. Plus, I think they really like Cook, and plan on keeping him around.

My predictions: (Dwight Howard getting traded for Gasol and Bynum)
    East-
    1/heat vs 8/knicks 4/sixers vs 5/pacers, heat over sixers, heat over bulls
    2/bulls vs 7/hawks 3/magic vs 6/celtics, bulls over magic
    West-
    1/lakers vs 8/grizzlies 4/mavericks vs 5/clippers, lakers over mavericks, lakers over thunder, lakers over heat in final.
    2/thunder vs 7/nuggets 3/spurs vs 5/blazers, thunder over spurs

10+ Year Old Account
    I know that everyone loves OKC but think about it, they needed a once in a lifetime night (50+40+triple double (with blocks)) to beat an injured Denver Nugets team in OT. Miami is miles ahead of Denver, and Durant and Wes will be lucky if they get 60 against the Heat.[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2012-02-26 at 01:06 PM ----------

@fixit Get Dwight and giving up Gasol and Buynum won't make them win it all, maybe the first round.
    Last edited by mirodin; 2012-02-26 at 12:06 PM.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    East-
    West-
    1/lakers vs 8/grizzlies 4/mavericks vs 5/clippers, lakers over mavericks, lakers over thunder, lakers over heat in final.
    This is either incredible ignorance or ridiculous delusion.

You can forget about first seed, and you can forget about beating the Mavs, Thunder or even a healthy Grizzlies in the playoffs too. I would be shocked if the Lakers made it all the way to the Western Conference Finals especially if the Gasol trade goes through (this is of course assuming they don't get fantastic value back in return, unlike the ill fated Odom trade).

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    East-
    West-
    Huh? The Lakers are not very good right now and the rest of the West is SO GOOD. The East prediction looks fine but there is no way that the Lakers are getting the one seed and the ring. Kobe just can't carry the team as much as he used to be able to.

To be honest I think that the Blazers are a team to watch in the West. They have real potential and could make it very far. The only place I see it likely for the Blazers to fall in the West is against OKC.

And the East.. Well what can you say about the East? You have the Heat, the Bulls, the Dwight Howard Squad, and a lot of average teams. As much as I hate to say my favorite team is out of it, I don't think the Celtics are going to be able to turn it on this year. In previous years they have turned it on in the playoffs and made it far, but I think that this year, if we don't add a decent center somehow, we're done for.

Meh, if the Lakers were smart they would go get a point guard. They don't need Howard. Sure he's an upgrade over Bynum, but Bynum is better than what most other teams throw out at center these days. They should flip Gasol and maybe World Peace (if they can unload him) for a quality guard and some picks. I think an ideal trade partner is Boston, even though I don't think it'll happen. Gasol and Rondo both want out. Boston needs scoring, LA needs someone to run the point. No one will care that Rondo can't shoot for shit in LA until Kobe retires. I'm sure there's a trade out there somewhere that can make that happen, and it would improve both teams.

LA's problem is that they think if they get Howard, they can lure Deron Williams over next year. Williams is going to Dallas unless the Nets do something huge to improve (ironically, like getting Dwight Howard). If Williams ends up somewhere other than Jersey (Brooklyn) or Dallas, I would be shocked. That's why Dallas isn't taking on any more salary this year even though their back court is a little weak.