Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

A penny is a LEGAL tender.............and why they are not accept as money

To me a penny is a penny and is a legal tender but i seen these video of people pay in " penny " for parking ticket and utilities bill and that they will NOT accept them and is LEGAL TENDER just like a DOLLAR but i don't get it. I have a big jar halfway full of loose change and if i need a few dollar i roll a few and good to go and to me that MONEY and by law that institution and store must accept as money. And there have bend a few incident that bank and store REFUSES to accept this as legal tender and i call the cops and i pointed out that even thought they are roll up they REFUSES to accept them as LEGAL TENDER

and i just want to see what your opinion about the " penny or other legal coin tender " and if you bend denied service for paying in loose change or in only penny

Actually, a store isn't required to do anything for you. The only people legally obliged to accept your money even if it's in pennies if you are paying for something is the government.

A store has every right to tell you to get the hell out. Stores reserve the right to refuse service to anybody, barring racial profiling (which is illegal, of course). And if you came into my store with a jar full of pennies trying to pay for something, I'd tell you to get out, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Actually, a store isn't required to do anything for you. The only people legally obliged to accept your money even if it's in pennies if you are paying for something is the government.

A store has every right to tell you to get the hell out. Stores reserve the right to refuse service to anybody. And if you came into my store with a jar full of pennies trying to pay for something, I'd tell you to get out, too.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaand /thread.

No, really. I'm fairly sure all stores reserve the right to deny service to anyone for any reason.

Exactly as was stated above me. No company in the entire nation is is required to accept pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters or even dollars. It may be viewed as the 'national currency' but there are numerous small communities around the nation that have began trading in their own local currency. There is no law that requires a store or company to accept your pennies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Besides, they have updated models, updated abilities, and are in completely different locations. Really the only thing psyically the same is their names, so if you don't care for plotlines whats it matter who the dragons are? They're just meaningless loot bags to you.
    Shaman Armory
    Mage Armory

10+ Year Old Account

A store has every right to tell you to get the hell out. And if you came into my store with a jar full of pennies trying to pay for something, I'd tell you to get out, too.
    ^This, a store owner has the right to demand payment in anyway they want, and if they don't want to accept pennies then that's their choice.
    I would see it as a bit stupid if someone turned you away for paying with 20p - 50p coins (Or US equivalent). But Pennies? That's just being a dick.

I've seen very often stores refuse to accept 100$ bills due to counterfeiting and they have absolutely no problem with it. As far as I understand, the store must accept legal tender only if there is an outstanding debt. Since no store is legally obliged to sell you something, they can simply decline purchase if they see you want to pay with pennies. If, however, you have made the purchase or incurred the debt already, they can't refuse legal tender.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

While it may be legal tender, it's extremely rude and inconsiderate to walk up to a cashier and dump a can of pennies on the counter to pay for something. Why should they have to count out your pennies when you can easily roll that crap up and take it to a bank or hell dump it in one of them Coinstar machines to convert into cash. Like I tell my daughter all the time, treat others the way you would want to be treated. How would you feel if you had to wait in line behind someone paying for their purchase in all pennies?

Deleted
    in the UK i think its just bus drivers and other people who are required to turn over customers efficiently who can tell you to sod off if you turn up to the till with a jar of pennies

Not really. Restaurants, where you order food before paying for it, MUST accept any legal tender. Same goes for any company that provides service before you pay for it. Read up on "legal tender".
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account

Classic Herod: Sinnermighty - Blood Legion (Unretired)

Don't know about other countries, but in Canada stores don't have to accept an amount in change if that amount can be rolled. eg. they accept 49 pennies but if you have 50 it needs to be rolled.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    To me a penny is a penny and is a legal tender but i seen these video of people pay in " penny " for parking ticket and utilities bill and that they will NOT accept them
    The 100 dollar bill is legal tender too but a lot of places try not to accept them unless it's close to the purchase total. The penny is legal tender but it's very annoying to deal with, if you have the time to count out all those pennies to make sure you have the right amount you probably also have enough time to go to the bank to cash them in for larger bills so do us both a favor and do it.

15+ Year Old Account
    You could try to get a bill somehow which gave you the option to pay with physical cash, that way the business would have no choice but to accept your money.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    And there have bend a few incident that bank and store REFUSES to accept this as legal tender and i call the cops and i pointed out that even thought they are roll up they REFUSES to accept them as LEGAL TENDER
    A lot of stores can refuse if they like, but banks should always take "rolled" pennys.

Pennies shouldn't even exist anymore, they are pointless

http://cinemassacre.com/2007/05/13/y...hit-episode-2/

Deleted
    dunno how it's in US, but in UK there's plenty of shops with self-service check-outs. you can dump all your pennies there and the machine won't complain. for instance, I often dump whatever useless change I have in purse, and then pay the difference with card

IF You have a debt, from a government facility, and they refuse to take pennies - you can refuse to pay and have a legal ground to stand on. Nobody else is required to accept all forms of legal tender, though. Unless I'm mistaken - on the latter bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    A lot of stores can refuse if they like, but banks should always take "rolled" pennys.
    Well yeh and the fact that they have absolutely no reason to not take them. They coin counting things that do it for them so I think the OP is bending the truth slightly on that one.

.01c change is so f*cking obsolete now. Shows how far in the past out government is living.

A store has every right to tell you to get the hell out. Stores reserve the right to refuse service to anybody, barring racial profiling (which is illegal, of course). And if you came into my store with a jar full of pennies trying to pay for something, I'd tell you to get out, too.
    This. A store doesn't have to let you shop there if they do not want you in their store. If someone has your property, they have to take your money though. Say your car gets towed and you go to get it back, they can't deny you your vehicle if you choose to pay in pennies, as that is considered theft. You were fulfilling your end of the agreement, that being that they say you have to pay a fee to get your property back.