Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    It would appear when it comes to accepting racial differences in in medieval fantasy games, the OP falls short.
    Dr. Evil
    I laughed, then I read it in my head with Dr. Evil's voice, and I laughed again.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

i lol'd. more short jokes plox.

10+ Year Old Account
    We need a second opinion on this by our resident midgets...
    Calling Mif and SBanes. Come in!

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    This is make or break if I try out the game or not when its released, or try the beta if i get an invite.....It's the same thing that was make or break for Skyrim for me....

Can you be a dwarf?

You really couldn't even bother to do ANY research at all? I mean you could have just visited the guild wars 2 web site.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Sylvari don't look like elves (their old version kinda did).

They look like an asian salad.
    LOL its true.

I might make one all red and call it "Red Salad" lol

Gw 2 is gonna be awesome, hopefully i get a beta invite even if the beta isnt great... it is beta, not supposed to be epic worthy, supposed to fix glitches and bugs before release

@OP, The Dwarf race exists in the Guild Wars Universe but isn't playable in game due to some events you might or might now want to read on if you are interested in the game. The closest you'll get to a playable Dwarf in game is making a short, fat Norn. As for Elves, they do in fact exist in the Guild Wars Universe too but they are nothing like the Elves from World of Warcraft, if you are looking for something close to a WoW Elf your best bet are Sylvari, which have a kinda Elvish theme (They have a sacred tree too ! \o/)

I love playing dwarves, I guess I can deal with elves...

Are there elves?

EDIT:

Checked the race list, maybe I can be a short fat Norn and look like Dwarf?
    A short Norn will probably still be pretty tall. Still though, their lore is pretty cool and they have a similar attitude to your common dwarven archetype (heavy drinkers, muscular, wild and adventurous). I'd recommend them!

How are the Sylvari like elves?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    How are the Sylvari like elves?
    Because they live in the forest and are at one with nature. IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE!
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    We need a second opinion on this by our resident midgets...
    Calling Mif and SBanes. Come in!
    I feel I fall short of your gargantuan expectations of me This has made me feel very low ...I wish there was more I could do to rise above the tide of worry, but I'm positively knee deep in despair at not being able to think of anything.
    If I do I'll let you know though

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    Because they live in the forest and are at one with nature. IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE!
    Hrmm, interesting. I never though of that as being the defining feature of elves. What about Norn? They're very shamanistic. Doesn't that mean they're at one with nature too? How come they don't get to be like elves?

Made me so sad when the dwarves went away at the end of Eye of the North... The good guy dwarves were awesome. Also sad that Ascalon was never retaken... I always loved Ascalon. Which is why I refuse to play a Charr >.<
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

10+ Year Old Account
    This is make or break if I try out the game or not when its released, or try the beta if i get an invite.....It's the same thing that was make or break for Skyrim for me....

Can you be a dwarf?
    If you want an epic beard, go Norn.

If you wanna be a midget that is skilled with technology/engineering/siege weaponry type stuff, go Asura. (No, they're not gnomes, they're more like gremlins)
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

It's people like the OP that holds the fantasy genre back, giving it the derivative state that people accuse it of. Dwarves and elves don't have to be in everything, you know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    Sylvari are similar to elves in that they represent the "mysticism" of the land and love nature, but that's really where the similarities end (maybe pointy ears).

Sylvari are something that simply do not exist in RPGs yet. "Plant people" have probably been done before, but Sylvari are a lot more than that.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    It's people like the OP that holds the fantasy genre back, giving it the derivative state that people accuse it of. Dwarves and elves don't have to be in everything, you know.
    YES THEY DO! DX

No but seriously, I'm not sure of the OP's intentions with this thread. All the information is stickied and one of the first things people learn about an mmo is what races they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    YES THEY DO! DX

No but seriously, I'm not sure of the OP's intentions with this thread. All the information is stickied and one of the first things people learn about an mmo is what races they offer.
    The OP's intention is to get others to hand feed him information because he is too lazy to even look at the official GW2 website.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, dwarves technically ARE in Tyria - they've just gone deep underground and have been turned to living stone, while they focus on holding back Primordus or something.

I think the only reason dwarves aren't playable is that ANet is desperately trying to avoid doing what everybody else does. Frankly, if they actually put dwarves in at some point in the future with an expansion or campaign or whatever...

They better be still be living stone, or whatever, like earthen. That, at least, would be a bit of a break, and something "unique" as far as playable races in GW2 go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Hrmm, interesting. I never though of that as being the defining feature of elves. What about Norn? They're very shamanistic. Doesn't that mean they're at one with nature too? How come they don't get to be like elves?
    Because they are too manly to be like sissy elves.

@Drake: On a more serious note, I agree. Sylvari are unique. Which is why if I am torn between making my Mesmer a Sylvari or Charr.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!