Poll: Do you pirate?

Thread: Pirating

Page 29 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    You should have had an option: "yes, because it is moral". Copyright laws are unjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Zardi View Post
    The only "immoral" thing about piracy, is not on the user's side. When companies attempt to squeeze a bit too much profit, they are the thieves. Good quality and fair price are key to making people buy their product.

Some rules of thumb:
    -If something is good, and has a reasonable price, it'll be bought.
    -If something is good but expensive, or generally, mediocre in relation to its price, it'll be pirated.
    -If something is bad, it will neither be bought nor pirated.
    And then, there's the odd effect where piracy actually promotes purchasing - like when you watch a movie on the internet, and you buy it to add it to your personal collection. If you hadn't watched that movie online, you wouldn't know how good it is, or if it even existed.
    Well said and I agree 100%!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I don't think you can try and say "I purchased this before, here's the receipt since I keep outstanding records of my purchases and I lost the originals.", purely because if I'm not mistaken you have a legal right to make a backup of your CD's that you purchased, in the US. I could be wrong since I don't follow/care to follow copyright issues but I'm fairly certain I read that alot about making backups for personal use. Of course, losing the CD-Keys still leaves you screwed but hey...
    Actually in the U.S. copies are illegal. Making a mix tape is illegal in the U.S. so making copies for backups is illegal. As far as being charged with a crime I don't see it happening but still illegal. the guy that bought the game twice has no issue either, technically illegal but will never hold in court if he was charged.

Deleted
    It should be added that pirating isn't free, and never was.
    1) It requires a much beefier internet-connection than you would otherwise need.
    2) Depending on what you're looking for it can take considerable time to find, and even more time to download - no guarantee of quality. Time is money, if you have a decent job.
    3) Depending on what you're looking for, you risk exposure to all kinds of malware.
    Of course these costs have decreased dramatically the past decade, but they're still far from negligible.

Considering those disadvantages, it's amazing how badly the entertainment industry failed to provide products that could match their pirated competition in convenience and quality.

Think about movies: People were downloading 700MB .avi's without restrictions and commercials from the comfort of their own home. Meanwhile the movie industry focussed on dvd's with higher bitrates, but also loaded with crap and only available through stores, if in stock.
    Apperently many people cared more about convenience than bitrates. You can ignore your customer's preferences if you have an effective monopoly, but once a competitor appears expect them to jump ship very quickly. Doesn't matter if the competitor is legal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jibbyjackjoe View Post
    So clearly your argument is "if it cannot be stopped, then it must continue"!
    If something cannot be stopped, then logically it will continue.

i see no difference in downloading anything from the internet or my buddies loaning it to me

the law is not going to toss me in jail if i borrow it from my buddies, so why do they want to toss me in jail for borrowing it from the public internet (library)?

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    So true, so many people remember the old days where you would get bootleg VHS tapes of cams, hell even now the cams/TS's are still crap. I only use DvDSCR and above for anything I watch, unless of course the screenshots show a decent quality TS.
    Usually if it's something I'm not in a hurry to watch I'll download the highest quality I can. Even if it takes a week or so to download as I'm not in a hurry to get something for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    It should be added that pirating isn't free, and never was.
    1) It requires a much beefier internet-connection than you would otherwise need.
    2) Depending on what you're looking for it can take considerable time to find, and even more time to download - no guarantee of quality. Time is money, if you have a decent job.
    3) Depending on what you're looking for, you risk exposure to all kinds of malware.
    Of course these costs have decreased dramatically the past decade, but they're still far from negligible.

Considering those disadvantages, it's amazing how badly the entertainment industry failed to provide products that could match their pirated competition in convenience and quality.

Think about movies: People were downloading 700MB .avi's without restrictions and commercials from the comfort of their own home. Meanwhile the movie industry focussed on dvd's with higher bitrates, but also loaded with crap and only available through stores, if in stock.
    Apperently many people cared more about convenience than bitrates. You can ignore your customer's preferences if you have an effective monopoly, but once a competitor appears expect them to jump ship very quickly. Doesn't matter if the competitor is legal or not.

1) Not really. I have never thought "Oh geeze, I really want this game but my internet is soooo slow. Time to upgrade for this one reason alone". I've downloaded massive files on dial up before, this wouldn't stop me. My internet speed is where it's at because of online games. Nothing else.
    2) Really? The time is money argument?
    3) Maybe starting out, but after a while the risk is much lower. And actually some could say this type of activity teaches you how to stay safe even while you aren't going to these risky sites. So in the long run this could end up saving you a lot of hassle later on after you get out of the bootleg phase.

There is this fun format called R5 you might not have heard of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R5_%28bootleg%29 Pretty smart idea, they almost had the solution to pirating but they just missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlydee View Post
    Actually in the U.S. copies are illegal. Making a mix tape is illegal in the U.S. so making copies for backups is illegal. As far as being charged with a crime I don't see it happening but still illegal. the guy that bought the game twice has no issue either, technically illegal but will never hold in court if he was charged.
    So wait, with all this fucked up copyright garbage, they COULD still charge him with something because it IS illegal... but the charges wouldn't hold up in court?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deadlydee View Post
    You should have had an option: "yes, because it is moral". Copyright laws are unjust.
    That's irrelevant. There is no justification for piracy. None. It's pure, selfish bullshit. If you have a problem with the copyright laws and DRM, then put your money where your mouth is and don't purchase their products. I don't buy CDs anymore because I refuse to put up with the moronic copyright bullshit (I also don't use iTunes for similar reasons.)

I don't disagree that there are some really fucking stupid systems in play right now and that they're horribly ackbasswards, but that still doesn't justify piracy. Not ever. Pirating music or games or movies or whatever is absolutely no fucking different from walking down to a convenience store and just walking in and shoplifting whatever the fuck you want.

Hell, the Gaming Messiah himself once said that piracy is a service problem, not a cost problem. And he's absolutely right. Shitbags like the RIAA and MPAA (and EA) need to get their shit together and fix their business models. The only way you're going to get that to happen is by not giving them your money, and by not fucking stealing their shit. If you steal their shit, all they have to do is snap their fingers, say they lost however many millions of box sales due to piracy, and blame the players rather than themselves for the problem.

YOU ARE NOT FUCKING HELPING US GET RID OF THESE IDIOTIC BUSINESS MODELS BY PIRATING SHIT. FUCKING STOP DOING IT!
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Pirating music or games or movies or whatever is absolutely no fucking different from walking down to a convenience store and just walking in and shoplifting whatever the fuck you want.
    its the same as going to my buddies house and using his stuff

no one is going to toss us in jail for that, so why toss us in jail for using our internet buddies stuff?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    If you steal their shit, all they have to do is snap their fingers, say they lost however many millions of box sales due to piracy, and blame the players rather than themselves for the problem.
    Actually, thats how UBISoft handles it nowdays.

If Business goes well...its the great Product they just released.
    If Business goes bad...well, its the Pirates fault !!!

That they only release Software hampered by DRM Mechanics nowdays, not able to play most of the Time due to the permanent Online Modus...
    Well, they dont take that into Consideration at any given time. Most Customers dont want that crap and simply dont buy the Product.

Deleted
    Almost half the population that has a PC does it in my country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crica View Post
    its the same as going to my buddies house and using his stuff

no one is going to toss us in jail for that, so why toss us in jail for using our internet buddies stuff?
    There's a difference between sharing a Steam account (which is technically against the TOS but like you said, it's basically the same as borrowing a buddy's Xbox game or DVD) and downloading a cracked game via a torrent. One is a pretty innocuous form of sharing that realistically isn't a whole lot different from, say, renting it from Blockbuster or getting it via Netflix.

The other one is quite literally theft.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Deleted
    Pirating isn't the problem, its the symptom.

People pirate because the industry doesn't provide a reasonable alternative.
    People don't want to pay big bucks for a blue ray they'll watch 10 times over the course of the next 10 years. They don't want to pay big bucks for a game they'll play through once now, and once more in a couple of years, and they certainly don't want to buy a full album for one good song. I don't want my house to be clotted with DVDs and CDs - hell I don't even own a stereo.

We need a service that allows digital, cheap access to our entire entertainment collection anywhere we want, in high def and on all platforms, provided there is an internet connection. They could even include single screenings of new movies for slightly reduced price of a cinema ticket. I'd pay a monthly fee for that kind of service.. hell yes. The industry needs to get over itself and start accepting that people are tired of its business model.

Deleted
    What really pisses me off - when i buy DVD for my kid i have to listen to "you shouldnt download movies, pirating is baad, mkay..." preaching before move itself.
    WTF?! I paid for your disc, spare me the lecture!

Quote Originally Posted by Armass View Post
    Almost half the population that has a PC does it in my country.
    yeah, companies are just mad we are all internet friends and let each other borrow our stuff...

companies are against internet friends borrowing stuff from each other i guess and think its only ok for friends to borrow stuff IRL...

/shrug...
    Last edited by crica; 2012-02-28 at 02:27 PM.

Piracy is not the same as physically stealing something. Piracy is duplicating, the original item is not stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Sweden. And before you say anything, it is illegal to SHARE but not simply download.
    Last time I heard anyrthing, its illigeal to share and download in sweden^^
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 | AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H80i | 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz Cl9 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Vapor-X GHz Edition |
    XFX ProSeries XXX 850W | Fractal Design Define R4 | Samsung 840 ProSerie 256GB | 3TB HDD

I don't do much but I get the odd bit of music and I watch a few movies online. I will say that I like to buy movies in the store especially ones I've already seen and loved.

I know theres no point justifying it and the people that do try look silly. All this pirating is what is leading to these SOPA-type acts. We only have ourselves to blame. These things weren't created to be free

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogretron View Post
    1) Not really. I have never thought "Oh geeze, I really want this game but my internet is soooo slow. Time to upgrade for this one reason alone". I've downloaded massive files on dial up before, this wouldn't stop me. My internet speed is where it's at because of online games. Nothing else.
    So the hours you spent on dial up for that massive file didn't show up on your phone bill?

People base their internet speed on their usage. If they download and upload a lot, they'll buy a higher speed.

2) Really? The time is money argument?
    I remember when it could take hours to download a few songs, and sort through them one by one because many were incomplete or bugged. Only people with too much time and too little money would bother.

3) Maybe starting out, but after a while the risk is much lower.
    True, but the risk never becomes as low as when you buy only legit.

Unless you're a customer of Sony, of course. Then you pay and get guaranteed malware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    Piracy is not the same as physically stealing something. Piracy is duplicating, the original item is not stolen.
    Theft is theft, whether you steal an original and make copies of it (not quite counterfeiting) or whether you just keep stealing many originals. It's beside the point.

If you are pirating games, music, movies, books, etc, YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROBLEM. As long as people are stealing shit, the people in charge of these stupid DRM systems and copyright laws are just gonna point to those people and use it as evidence as how THEY don't need to change shit, people just need to stop stealing.

Stop stealing, watch them still piss blood versus services like Netflix and Gamefly and then they either wise up and change their methods or they die and someone better adapted to the market takes their place.

yeah, companies are just mad we are all internet friends and let each other borrow our stuff...

companies are against internet friends borrowing stuff from each other i guess and think its only ok for friends to borrow stuff IRL...

/shrug...
    Torrenting games is not "sharing."