View Poll Results: Shaolin Monk Vs. MMA fighter. Who would win?

Voters
469. This poll is closed
  • Shaolin Monk

318 67.80%
  • MMA Fighter

151 32.20%
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Godshot View Post
    Anyway, i'm going to say an MMA fighter would generally beat a Shaolin in a street fight. I think most people are voting for the monk based off these coreographed exhibits that are meant to impress you with flashy movements...
    There's that, and then there's another chunk of people who voted for the Monk based on the fact that nobody has seen one properly fighting and trying to come off as mysterious or what they've read/heard about them.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    People that discredit Shaolin because they think it's all planned out before hand and that's why they look 'good', that's bullshit.

Most of them train and live at the intensity and conditions that most of you would consider torture.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandapuncher View Post
    one second.... pay close attention to the kids at the 5 min mark...
    The guy in the video has got no idea what hes talking about, he probably assumes a schoolyard headlock is a choke... The important chokes like a Triangle choke and rear-naked are not meant to block oxygen from getting to your lungs but rather stop the blood flow from getting to your brain, that little hanging motion is not the best way to train for defending chokes, thats one thing i'm pretty sure of.

I don't really care what you call me, you can even call me cold...

MMA fighter all the way. I trained traditional sports (Kyokushin) for many years, now in MMA.
    Shaolin is about much more than just fighting. MMA is outperforming Shaolin in effective fighting ofcourse.
    Anyone stating anything different watches too many movies. Good monk that messes with Anderson Silva

Monks aren't training to fight they train because its a part of their beliefs and meditation, neither of us and probably 90% of people in this thread have no fucking idea what monks know and don't know

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skyclops View Post

Judging by these guys flexibility & speed it would not matter if a mma fighter did get him on the ground in a hold lol
    Dude, that's all really pretty to look at but its basically just Ballet...
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vantheus View Post
    I take it you never saw early ufc events right? there were no weight classes and very few rules, big guys always got dropped fast as hell. The game/training has changed a lot since then though so really depends on people not size.
    Actually, the runners up in the first 5 UFC were all guys over 6 foot and 200 pounds. 3 of them were beaten by Royce Gracie, who isn't exactly a small guy, 1 was beaten by a Nebraska cop who was average height but over 200 points, and the last guy was eaten by a giant wrestler dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Oniax View Post
    MMA fighter all the way. I trained traditional sports (Kyokushin) for many years, now in MMA.
    Shaolin is about much more than just fighting. MMA is outperforming Shaolin in effective fighting ofcourse.
    Anyone stating anything different watches too many movies. Good monk that messes with Anderson Silva
    Have you seen the video of Anderson Silva grappling with a native from the Amazon rain forest? He loses 1-2.

As an ex MMA fighter and being trained by a monk now i've learned one thing, No matter how big an MMA fighter is, couple of hits on the head and he is down, a monk on the other hand is fucking pointless, no matter how much you hit him, he will just get stronger and more pissed.
    "In space, no one can hear you unless you scream!"

10+ Year Old Account
    A guy countering fake, telegraphed punches? That's the demonstration to make a point here?
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Commissarr View Post
    People that discredit Shaolin because they think it's all planned out before hand and that's why they look 'good', that's bullshit.

Most of them train and live at the intensity and conditions that most of you would consider torture.
    For the 100th time, living in horrible or "intense" conditions doesn't make you a good fighter. In fact the only result of starving+meditation (you know, that thing monks do most of the time) is poorer health and malnutrition compared to an MMA fighter who has been eating a good diet and been training for FIGHTING. The goal is to become a better fighter, not a survivor of extreme conditions.

Unless you want the fight to take place inside a volcano or on top of Mt. Everest. Then yeah, I'd suppose the MMA fighter would freeze or boil quicker than the Monk. But I don't call that a fight, and neither would you.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Actually, the runners up in the first 5 UFC were all guys over 6 foot and 200 pounds. 3 of them were beaten by Royce Gracie, who isn't exactly a small guy, 1 was beaten by a Nebraska cop who was average height but over 200 points, and the last guy was eaten by a giant wrestler dude.
    His wiki shows him as 6'1, 175. Not exactly a big guy either.

Coreographed and slow examples of intricate maneuvers that would be difficult to pull of against an actual fighter is what you've shown me bro.

I don't really care what you call me, you can even call me cold...

In a cage fight with all the rules, the MMA might win.

In a real world fight, the Monk wins everytime. You have to realize that we are talking about the actual monks here. They do nothing but martial arts, meditate, and eat every day of their life.

That video showed someone who studied Shaolin style kung fu, NOT an actual monk. There is a big difference.

I am an Uechi-Ryu practitioner and I can tell you I probably wouldn't do well in a cage fight because almost every move we learn would be illegal because they are death blows involving nerve cluster strikes, bone breaking, organ puncturing, eye strikes, etc. However, in a real world situation, I can't see myself losing to anyone who wasn't trained similarly to me. I imagine the Shaolin Monk situation is similar to mine.
    Last edited by Malkaedus; 2012-02-28 at 10:29 PM.

Coreographed and slow examples of intricate maneuvers that would be difficult to pull of against an actual fighter is what you've shown me bro.
    Nah it shows that the monk can fight & use all of his body to his advantage & it being slow yes ofc its just a video showing
    The range of moves offensive & defensive that a monk would use

Quote Originally Posted by Malkaedus View Post
    In a cage fight with all the rules, the MMA might win.

In a real world fight, the Monk wins everytime. You have to realize that we are talking about the actual monks here. They do nothing but martial arts, meditate, and eat every day of their life.

That video showed someone who studied Shaolin style kung fu, NOT an actual monk. There is a big difference.

I am an Uechi-Ryu practitioner and I can tell you I probably wouldn't do well in a cage fight because almost every move we learn would be illegal because they are death blows involving nerve cluster strikes, bone breaking, organ puncturing, eye strikes, etc. However, in a real world situation, I can't see myself losing to anyone who wasn't trained similarly to me. I imagine the Shaolin Monk situation is similar to mine.
    Amen. The best fighting styles are designed for mortal combat. It's like comparing a paintball player to a soldier. There is no comparison, because one is a game and the other isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Todgruppe View Post
    Pretty much, and people point to there "pain tolerance", a lot of people can train that way? Ever seen "Human Wrecking Ball", they destroy houses..... with their bodies. You can train pain by taking hits, muscle's remember it, bones get bruised then heal in such a way that they are "heavier" than the average person's skeletal system. Bones are filled with porous material (forgot the name), which causes the bruise/pain, to prevent it after the bone bruise the bone hardens and becomes "stronger".

Also, if the they (monks) where the end all, special forces units would train in them, not Krav Maga, Sambo, etc. If I would combine arts would be a form of Krav Maga/Sambo/Pradal Serey/BJJ.
    actually what causes the pain are nerves that send impulses to your brain. theses nerves are located in skinn and tissue, but non in the bone itself. there is a very sensitive layer of skin around the bone, if this skin gets touched or broken it causes tremendous pain. these nerves can however be dulled with training. you see this happen very often in muay thai and of course other eastern martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I don't see any ninjas here. I think you mean the 70s..
    Yeah, I didn't even think of Kung Fu the TV show. Good call. I was referring to people's belief in the magical unbeatable nature of Asian martial arts. I guess as long as hollywood and TV will perpetuate this myth people will believe it; kind of like how samurai had the best swords.

You can sit there and go, well no one has seen them fight...which is true..but through the glimpses we get of their lives, when they do come out, do a demonstration to raise money for their temple, we see skilled training with lightning fast speed and power.

Sure I see MMA and see skilled training with incredible power....I also watch those fights and go KNEE HIM IN THE FACE! HE IS RUSHING YOU!!! Oh wait..they CANT! its considered a kick on the ground....monks would just knee them in the face and it would be over...have I seen them do it? no...do i need to see them do it to know they would? No..why is that? Because having trained in various martial arts..thats what i would do..and I know thats what they would do...dont need to see it done to know it would be done.
    you Xuvial
    Unlike you who needs all the points laid out for you...I see two of the points..and I can figure out the third...A2 + B2 = C2 ... You Xuvial...need the answer ahead of time meaning you probably have never been in a fight, or even trained for any length of time outside of a belt factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftcrusher View Post
    As an ex MMA fighter and being trained by a monk now i've learned one thing, No matter how big an MMA fighter is, couple of hits on the head and he is down, a monk on the other hand is fucking pointless, no matter how much you hit him, he will just get stronger and more pissed.
    please for the sake of modesty try a more subversive approach at trolling next time.
    the brain gets rattled and your upper sense of direction located in the inner ear gets thrown out of balance, no matter who you are. the only thing that prevents this, given a fixed amount of force on the impact side is your own mass and the amount of shock trained reflexes and muscles from your neck can absorb. of course mma artists are extensively trained in this regard.
    what i do acknoledge however is that a shaolin has maybe better controll of his lower center of balance as the average martial artist.

< infracted >
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2012-02-29 at 01:41 AM.