View Poll Results: Shaolin Monk Vs. MMA fighter. Who would win?

Voters
469. This poll is closed
  • Shaolin Monk

318 67.80%
  • MMA Fighter

151 32.20%
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    Any sources on those MMAs defeating Shaolins? And MMAs train more than Shaolin Monks? Please check those vids I linked acouple of post up^ Shaolin Monks eat, train and sleep. Nothing else.

*EDIT* In a free fight that is. Not a caged fight with rules.
    You don't understand the kind of training he's referring to. More importantly, hands-on fighting experience accounts for vastly better training than repeating the same moves 1000x.

Being around the world and taking on countless other fighters is the kind of training and experience an MMA fighter has. He has faced fighters who have all sorts of backgrounds and he has developed speed on top of brutal power and figured out ways to counter most styles including wrestlers, kick-boxers, martial artists, you name it.

Meanwhile the kind of training Shaolin focuses on is primarly revolves around mental concentration, flexibility and to some extent speed. This translates to being able to do survive extreme conditions, go without food for long periods of time and hone their bodies to work very efficiently.

Compared to an elite MMA fighter what is a Shaolin Monk's actual fighting experience? Zero. Zip. They haven't even seen anyone outside their temple/region. An elite UFC fighter is quite literally prepared for any situation and any opponent, because he has literally faced and beaten most of them. A Shaolin monk is prepared to fight other shaolin monks. That is the extent of the monk's training and experience.

You call that experience? I sure as hell don't. Shadow practice, meditation and starvation don't equip you with the fighting skills required to take down an MMA champion.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-02-28 at 11:38 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Modern training methods, modern equipment, modern nutrition/diet, knowledge of fighting from all around the world and depending on who, superior genetics. New beats old more often than not.

mma is not a martial art. it is synonym for a mixutre of martial arts. those martial arts, new and ancient all have their "death strikes". so please, let me say it again, a mma fighter who essentially is a student of several martial arts has studien those martial arts techniques and is very well informed of moves that have no place in the octagon out of the respect for human dignity and life.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    You don't understand the kind of training and experience he's referring to.

Being around the world and taking on countless other fighters is the kind of training and experience an MMA fighter has. He has faced fighters who have all sorts of backgrounds and he has developed speed on top of brutal power and figured out ways to counter most styles including wrestlers, kick-boxers, martial artists, you name it.

Meanwhile the kind of training Shaolin focuses on is primarly revolves around mental concentration, flexibility and to some extent speed. This translates to being able to do survive extreme conditions, go without food for long periods of time and hone their bodies to work very efficiently. Compared to an elite MMA fighter what is a Shaolin Monk's actual fighting experience? Zero. Zip. They haven't even seen anyone outside their temple/region. An elite UFC fighter is quite literally prepared for any situation and any opponent, because he has faced and beaten them all. A Shaolin monk is prepared to fight other shaolin monks. That's all he has ever seen.

You call that experience? I sure as hell don't. You think meditation and starvation makes equips you with the fighting skills you need to take down an MMA champion? I don't.
    When did I say Shaolin Monks got fighting experience? I just stated the fact that they train ALOT.

And this is the third time I say this: a fight between a Shaolin Monk and a MMA fighter would be realy interesting. I got NO clue about who would win, but I would love to watch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    MA fighters have a bunch of rules they have to adhere to. On the other-hand, Kung Fu was designed for fighting to the death with no rules.

p.s. Which do you think navy seal train?
    I know for a fact that they train with a mix of BJJ, Krav Maga, and some other mixed disciplines. Not Shaolin.

I'm amazed how many people in here have become experts in all sorts of fighting, and practioners of these martial arts. I'm sure none of it is that people are exagerating that Karate class they had when they were 4, or something they saw on TV once.

There's been rabid fanboy-ism on both sides. I honestly surpised none of the monk suporters have claimed that the Shaolin's training would allow them to even stop a bullet. I'm likewise surpised the MMA crowd hasn't said that they would just rip limbs off.

No one is going to convince anyone that their side is wrong. So could we maybe just use logic and have fun, instead of saying that praying atop a mountain and jumping in and out of holes makes you an amazing fighter; or that instensive competitive training means you can't be beat by someone smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    Have you actually ever done some sparring with a trained partner? Do you really think the people will just stand there and let them execute your unwieldy techniques? Strikes which rely on hitting a precise point at a precise angle do not work that well in actual combat. Hell, its already a great challenge to hit a moving opponent in the head, and its ten times as difficult to hit him in a way which would actually show some effect.

And besides: have you ever experienced a quickness and power of a MMA-trained person; or even a more classical boxer? This is quite literally like getting hit by a car.
    I spar with more trained people than me everytime I go in for a session. Learning how to apply the style is very important. Knowing the style in theory only gets you so far.

But I'm dead serious about the weight thing. They specifically train us how to use your weight against you.

Some things are harder to perform, I admit, but others are extremely easy. Breaking knees are extremely easy. The neck is a veritable oasis of weak spots. My previous post only included 3 examples, the list goes on and on.

I enjoy watching boxing, but please don't bring it up as a real world competitive style again, ever.

Having a bad day Runenwächter?
    "In space, no one can hear you unless you scream!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkaedus View Post
    I spar with more trained people than me everytime I go in for a session. Learning how to apply the style is very important. Knowing the style in theory only gets you so far.

But I'm dead serious about the weight thing. They specifically train us how to use your weight against you.

Some things are harder to perform, I admit, but others are extremely easy. Breaking knees are extremely easy. The neck is a veritable oasis of weak spots. My previous post only included 3 examples, the list goes on and on.

I enjoy watching boxing, but please don't bring it up as a real world competitive style again, ever.
    I do Kyokushin these days, but I'm a former Shotokan guy and I have the utmost respect for the old Okinawan styles. While I can't speak to your personal experience, I find that they seem to have a dearth of actual contact experience. Some of this probably comes from the dangerous nature of many of the techniques, but a lot of it also is a result of a lack of exposure until much later in training, if at all. Shotokan, for example, doesn't allow free sparing until like 2-kyu or something. Kyokushin, on the other hand, just throws you into the deep end and you learn by fighting. As a result, a Kyokushin 1 Dan will have hundreds of hours of fighting, some of it bare knuckle, under his or her belt. That leads to a level of comfort and experience that can't come from kihon training or point sparring.
    Last edited by Beavis; 2012-02-29 at 02:38 AM.

Look on youtube "Kiai Master vs MMA" and you will know the answer

I read a little but the fact of the matter is you didn't clarify enough to actually give an answer. The term "MMA" does not refer to a single martial arts style or combination of them. It means exactly what it says, a combination of more than 1 style, they could be using 2 styles, they could be using 10 styles it would still be termed MMA.

So getting a Shoal-in Monk and a MMA fighter of equal size and weight fighting unarmed in a one on one with any, all or no rules, you really can't answer cause it depends on the styles and skill level of each of the fighters. Some MMA style mixes will probably get eaten alive while other MMA styles might chew the monk up and spit him out while the monk barely lays a hand on them at all.

Edit: And to the guys who keep saying that MMA is mainly just a bunch of homo-erotic grabbing, one thing you forgot to think about. The guys were fighting to win and unfortunately, that style gave them a very big edge compared to those who tried to stand up and trade blows. It sucks but sometimes what is better and gives you the edge, might not always be the nice, flashy or brutal looking stuff. Sometimes you end up looking gay doing it but when you are fighting to win, better to look gay winning than to look macho and losing.
    Last edited by Fugus; 2012-02-29 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    The Monk.

MMA is staged, just like the WWF is. I'm sure most of them wouldn't know what to do if someone dumped the script and actually started fighting
    Yea the blood pouring off their face is fake

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say Shaolin Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Scryers View Post
    Who would win, and why would they win?

I would go with the Shaolin Monk. The amount of training they undergo is incredible. They spend their whole lives perfecting their techniques, they are true super-humans imo.

No arena, no weapons, no padding, no rules, think of it as a kinda "street" fight.
    street fight with no weapons? you realize how many weapons shaolin monks are trained with?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottonmouth View Post
    Yea the blood pouring off their face is fake

It's easy to fake the blood. WWF did it all the time.

I will admit, however, there are some moves that you look at and go "there is no way that COULDN'T have hurt" like when someone jumps of the top rung of a ladder onto a guy sprawled out on a wooden folding table.

I seriously think that MMA is staged.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    It's easy to fake the blood. WWF did it all the time.

I will admit, however, there are some moves that you look at and go "there is no way that COULDN'T have hurt" like when someone jumps of the top rung of a ladder onto a guy sprawled out on a wooden folding table.

I seriously think that MMA is staged.
    I've known Frankie Edgar since 8th grade along with his wife. I can gaurentee you MMA is not staged.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    That is, if they can deliver that power - which would require getting within grasping range of the MMA fighter. Like almost all martial arts, shaolin is based around NOT getting hit. Shaolin don't train to take blows from 110kg MMA fighters, and I laugh @ those bringing up how Monks can stand on hot coals or freeze in ice - none of those tricks/feats can save you from concussions/burises caused by a giant fist. And unfortunately the monk will not be able to cause such damage back to the MMA fighter unless he gets extremely lucky.

I've always felt that martial arts are more about self-discipline and fitness rather than an effective FIGHTING tool. People watch too many movies these days.
    Uuuuh. I just watched a national geographic clip on them that showed a huge part of what they train for is getting hit, and how to take it.
    neck standing, punching brick walls for 2 hours straight with only some paper between their firsts and the bricks (the grand masters can break through the wall before their session is over) getting wooden rods and even iron blades broken on their forearms, skulls and legs is all part of their daily routine.

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 01:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rykin View Post
    Modern training methods, modern equipment, modern nutrition/diet, knowledge of fighting from all around the world and depending on who, superior genetics. New beats old more often than not.
    I bet an elite spartan warrior from 2500 years ago would be able to kick even a navy seals ass...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    Uuuuh. I just watched a national geographic clip on them that showed a huge part of what they train for is getting hit, and how to take it.
    neck standing, punching brick walls for 2 hours straight with only some paper between their firsts and the bricks (the grand masters can break through the wall before their session is over) getting wooden rods and even iron blades broken on their forearms, skulls and legs is all part of their daily routine.
    Great, more stuff about how many crowbars monks take to the face on a daily basis. Exactly what this thread needed.

My point was that nobody has seen a monk face off in an actual fight, and most likely nobody ever will. However we HAVE seen MMA fighters wrecking everything else, so atleast they have some evidence to back up their fighting prowess.
    The only thing we've got from monks so far is smashing bricks with more bricks tied to their face. While it is fun to cheer at due to the "haha amazing!!" nature of it all, I would love to see them apply that power and endurance in an actual fight against an outsider. Something that will probably never happen.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-02-29 at 08:10 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    So, there were these presentations.... A shaolin disciple bent a spear on his neck. And that's disciple, not monk.

I don't think a wrestler would stand much chance.

Pretty cool vid, but obviously Jet Li sucks :P

those discussions are pretty much pointless.. Who would win? The one that's better.. Simple as it is.
    There's too many variables that could make different resuts.. Do they fight by the rules. Which rules? MMA or KungFu tournament rules? Who trained for how long? How good they actually got..

Sometimes we were doing sparings with friends on trainings - and different rules usually gave someone else upper hand.. In most cases I can't use half of my favorite techniques because in sports combat they are too dangerous.

The biggest problem here is that MMA is focused on ring fight with certain rules, while "martial arts" like Kung Fu are focused on fighting "without rules" and using techniques banned from sports.. You can't attack fingers, you can't use certain wrist locks, you can't attack eyes, you can't attack spine, you can't attack groin etc etc..

Fighting in RL is not like in Dragon Ball - you can't just measure someones power level and say that he'd win.. Sometimes it's those small things that could matter.. What can a grappling master do when he has his fingers broken for ex? something that never happens on "his ring"..
    Last edited by DemoBytom; 2012-02-29 at 09:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Deleted
    The only way an MMA fighter has a chance against a shaolin monk is if the fight is fought with MMA rules, in a MMA ring. Even there, as long as the monk understands the rules and had time to prepare for fighting under these rules, 9 times out of 10 he would completely destroy the MMA fighter in no time at all.

What's an MMA fighter? Someone who trained to win MMA fights.
    What's a shoalin monk? A warrior trained to kill enemies in real combat.

How intensely is an MMA fighter trained? Casually during his youth, often starting only in teen years, usually in one discipline, for a few hours per week
    How intensely is a shaolin monk trained? Every single day since the age of 6, doing nothing but prepare to kill enemies that attack in the night, in brutal inhumane fashion that by our standards would be nothing short of child abuse

People are immensely overestimating the fighting ability of the average MMA fighter. Most are only "master" of one discipline, which really they have "mastered" to about 10% of the monk's mastery of Kung-Fu. And are completely misjudging the fighting experience of both. A lot of MMA fighters have never been in a real fight (aka no rules, no judge) against another toplevel martial arts practitioner - they are used to fights that are interupted ever 5 minutes for everyone to have a rest, where you can call on a judge to halt the fight if you get something like an eyepoke or balls-kick, where the most efficient techniques are prohibited because too dangerous, where attacking the most vulnerable bodyparts is not allowed,... . Shaolin monks, on the other hand, spend a good deal of their training beating the snot out of eachother in true freefight.

The difference between an MMA fighter and a Shaolin Monk? The MMA fighter doesn't like getting kicked in the balls so he makes a rule not to kick eachother in the balls. The Shaolin Monk doesn't like getting kicked in the balls so he learns to freaking deal with it and fight through it. The MMA fighter doesn't like getting headbutted so he makes a rule not to headbut eachother. The Shalin Monk doesn't like getting heatbutted, so he spends a good deal of time breaking walls with his head. Fact.

*Fight starts - GSP rushes toward monk - monk headbuts GSP - GSP's face melted to the back of his skull*
    Last edited by mmoc1663e6f809; 2012-02-29 at 11:37 AM.