Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Personally I'm pretty much set on Sylvari Guardian, Norn are too big for my taste, Charr looks a little too ferocious, which isn't very guardian'ish, in my opinion, Asura are too small and more castery and human is just too ordinary. Of course it can change, once I see the finalized Racial Abilities, there might be some amongst them to change my mind.

I'm (like most others) going to be using Sword/shield and a greatsword for off-choice, for the very reason someone else mentioned, the leap looks AWESOME! But again, it might change when I see the finalized skills

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    In my opinion, they should have a scarf, a helm and shoulders as an option, instead of two shoulders and a helm.

Visionary's Helm, Fanatics Mantle, Conqueror's Pauldrons, for example.
    I think they should get a shield in place of one of the pauldrons. That would make the choice so much harder!

A shiny shield, an awesome helm, or a big crazy mantle to choose from!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    I think they should get a shield in place of one of the pauldrons. That would make the choice so much harder!

A shiny shield, an awesome helm, or a big crazy mantle to choose from!
    The problem is that everyone don't want a shield in their weapon set, and would rather go with a Greatsword, and Scepter/Torch as secondary. Then the shield would be pretty useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that everyone don't want a shield in their weapon set, and would rather go with a Greatsword, and Scepter/Torch as secondary. Then the shield would be pretty useless.
    Well yeah, that's why there are shoulders and a helm to choose from too.

I'm still confused as to why they got rid of cloaks... Now that would've been nice to choose from.

10+ Year Old Account
    i am not sure why either. It will be the most MMO I play where I don't have a cloak. Maybe they listened to the creators of the Incredibles?

NO CAPES!
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

10+ Year Old Account
    I know why!

The Norn males were using it as improvised toilet paper! Ewww!

Sorry if this comes off as negative, but I'm genuinely curious about something. I've been trying to follow different peoples' opinions on their likely class, and there seems to be a trend: "My build will be focused on..."

Wasn't the entire point of GW2 to keep switching things up on the fly? I understand there's enough information out there that you can start theorycrafting builds, but I don't see what there is to gain by (theoretically) determining your playstyle and weapon combo already.

The way the game has been advertised and discussed by Anet, I would think the last thing you want to do is get too comfortable with any one set of weapons at any one time. It just doesn't sound very... I dunno, dynamic.

Not knocking any of the GW2 enthusiasts, and I'm certainly not complaining about Anet, much of these posts just feel like a WoW paladin saying "Imma go Ret" or "I'll be playing Holy."

10+ Year Old Account
    You can have 2 weapon sets which you switch on the fly, though between battles I'm sure you could always swap weapons when you want, but that's still only two.

I don't know how much time it will take to switch around your traits, though, which will undoubtedly not be too restrictive, but they will still basically decide which weapons you get bonuses for and which you don't.

Thus making you better with certain weapons than others. Nothing wrong with that because, according to the Wiki which may or may not be accurate, you get 70 points to spread between your trait lines, and you can spend them where you wish. Minor traits are selected at 5, 15, and 25, while major traits are selected at 10, 20, and 30... within each trait line.
    So you could max two lines and 1/3 of another, or get 2/3rds of 3 lines and 1/3 of another. Or put 10 in every trait line, and then put the last ten into one specific one.

So you can have bonuses for more than one weapon type fairly easily, or even no bonuses at all.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-02-27 at 04:47 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    Sorry if this comes off as negative, but I'm genuinely curious about something. I've been trying to follow different peoples' opinions on their likely class, and there seems to be a trend: "My build will be focused on..."

Wasn't the entire point of GW2 to keep switching things up on the fly? I understand there's enough information out there that you can start theorycrafting builds, but I don't see what there is to gain by (theoretically) determining your playstyle and weapon combo already.

The way the game has been advertised and discussed by Anet, I would think the last thing you want to do is get too comfortable with any one set of weapons at any one time. It just doesn't sound very... I dunno, dynamic.

Not knocking any of the GW2 enthusiasts, and I'm certainly not complaining about Anet, much of these posts just feel like a WoW paladin saying "Imma go Ret" or "I'll be playing Holy."
    You can specialize to a certain point, but you're still going to have to switch things up on the fly. For example I'm making as much of a tank-esque build as possible, and while that may allow me to take some more hits, I'm still not going to be able to main tank a boss. I still need to be doing damage and I still need to be healing myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post

1) It's fun and we don't have anything else to talk about until we're actually able to play the game.

2) Maybe it's necessary to change weapons according to the situation. I'd even say it's rather probable that you'll swap weapon load-outs depending on the situation and the group. That doesn't mean you won't default to a favorite set of weapons.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Well i know i'm going Mace+ Torch/ Greathammer Totally bada$$ if you ask me Then my utility skills will be (since the skill builders don't have them all up yet -_-)

6) Healing Breeze
    7)Bow of Truth (or) Bane Signet
    8)Merciful Intervention
    9)Hallowed Ground
    10) Tome of Wrath

Go to the GW2 wiki to look at those skills wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_guardian_skills
    Facts don't care about feelings

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cts53 View Post
    Well i know i'm going Mace+ Torch/ Greathammer Totally bada$$ if you ask me Then my utility skills will be (since the skill builders don't have them all up yet -_-)

6) Healing Breeze
    7)Bow of Truth (or) Bane Signet
    8)Merciful Intervention
    9)Hallowed Ground
    10) Tome of Wrath

Go to the GW2 wiki to look at those skills wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_guardian_skills
    Aww, seems like they removed that utility, where you could teleport at target location with your mouse, you could teleport up ramps and roofs. Seems like they changed it with teleport to your target, and the other one which teleports you to nearest ally with lowest health.

Meh, too bad I guess :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Aww, seems like they removed that utility, where you could teleport at target location with your mouse, you could teleport up ramps and roofs. Seems like they changed it with teleport to your target, and the other one which teleports you to nearest ally with lowest health.

Meh, too bad I guess :P
    Yeah, the original one was too good in pvp. At least it is balanced a little more now. I know on GW2guru people are angry at the change but I don't mind too much as I was planning on using the ally teleport.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    Yeah, the original one was too good in pvp. At least it is balanced a little more now. I know on GW2guru people are angry at the change but I don't mind too much as I was planning on using the ally teleport.
    I don't mind it. I don't want a crazy ton of Guardians running around just because they're the WvW Flavor of the Week/Month. I want people to play the Profession that suits them.

Deleted
    I don't complain

I never "cry" about things until it's actually live in the real game, and you have played with it for some time. I just thought it was a cool spell. I guess that makes it Thief and Elementalist the only professions with a target-area teleport spell then?

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 03:30 PM ----------

Since GW2Tools have been so nice to put together a trait build, let's show our Guardian builds, though it's not 100% done yet, and some traits doesn't have some information.

Here's the link to the trait-tool.

http://www.gw2tools.com/

And this is how my trait build ended up.

http://www.gw2tools.com/#t-g-kakkf:bWa.aaa.dWa.Zea.Waa
    Last edited by mmoc78d225b3dd; 2012-02-29 at 02:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda wish they gave a blatant blocking ability for shields as a guardians. Using a shield for everything but a shield just seems odd.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Kinda wish they gave a blatant blocking ability for shields as a guardians. Using a shield for everything but a shield just seems odd.
    A shield in Guild Wars 2 is more like a weapon with defensive abilities, than defense only.

I rather go with abilites like that, than having my shield only give me some stat bonus and % to block. My virtue already lets me block every 30 second, so i'm all fine.
    Last edited by mmoc78d225b3dd; 2012-02-29 at 05:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he's referring to abilities like Riposte and Shield Stance.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-02-29 at 06:05 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Norn seems more like protector fellas to me, big and allies can hide behind ^_^
    All that matters is personal taste and I acknowledge different opinions (=

Hammer or Greatsword for my first weapon swap.
    And Mace/Sword & Torch for my second weapon swap.

Love the thread so far! Nice to see so many fellow guardians

I used to play a retribution paladin in WoW and what always frustrated me was that, despite being "intended" to be supportive, the my actual support options were so few i felt like a watered down arms warrior. Not to mention my nonexistent mobility xD
    Now i can grab a sword and board combo, which i most likely will be rocking as my main weapon set. I get the great mobility from the teleportation skill on button 2, i get a very nice group support spell from my shield and i get to look like a total badass. My second weapon set is really hard to choose at this point. Greatsword is absolute beast, but so is the greathammer! Not to mention how redicilously awesome torch off-hand is. I mean breathing fire on people?! How can an offhand get any better, i ask you xD. I am also very interested in the scepter. It didn't seem too appealing at first, but the aoe-magic-fist-field, coupled with an immobilize is sooo good.

All in all, i believe the guardian profession will be exactly what we wanted out of it - a capable damage dealer, with amazing utility AND an amazing support class who will more often than not be a wanted addition to any group!